close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

where to find used barrels

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by CESwartz07, Feb 14, 2011.

1. CESwartz07

CESwartz07 Sheep Dog

Jul 10, 2010
    I'm looking for a place to find and buy a cheap used extra barrel for my 870. Any ideas, or better yet, does anyone have anything for sale themselfs. I'm preferably looking for a 26"+ 3" chamber w/ rem choke to use to shoot clays.

2. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    I bought one off Gun Broker - IIRC with shipping it was $79.

I was having a hard time finding a used barrel -just got lucky

Best price on a new barrel for my Remington 870 was from Mossberg - $120 I think.

BTW - Walmart has a wood stock Remington 870 - saw it today $257 + tax - comes with 1 choke (modified).

Much over $100 for a barrel might as well just buy the whole gun -:supergrin:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011

3. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    That's tempting.
    I've got a 12 ga. 26", 3" chambered 870 Express barrel that I took off the Express that I set up for my daughter.

It's never had a round put through it, and it's sitting in the back of the safe.

I just figured that I'd keep it to use with the 870 Express rifled slug gun that I've got, to extend it's seasons.

4. Most old time gunshops have a bin full of them.

5. CESwartz07

CESwartz07 Sheep Dog

Jul 10, 2010
    Just an update, but today I went skeet shooting for the first time and did quite well despite having a 18" cylinder bore pump. Did not have a chance to try out trap, but that might be more difficult with the short barrel

6. demented

demented

Aug 4, 2005
    New barrels are certainly overpriced. I paid through the nose for a Remington 870 18.5" Rem choke plain barrel last year, just HAD to have it to make my shotgun more versatile. Stuck an IC choke tube in it as soon as it arrived and haven't changed tubes since. I have a couple other shotguns I actually use, the 870 just stands in my closet.

7. fiasconva

fiasconva

May 4, 2008
    York County, VA
    You also may want to check out a few of your local pawn shops. I've seen a lot of them there.

8. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    I wish my 18.5 inch barrel had the ability to swap out chokes -

I don't know how much it costs Remington to thread the barrel to accept chokes -

I will GUESS $5 + $2 for a choke. Would be 20X more if you took it to a place to get it done to a plain barrel.

If two guns were side by side - one had the cylinder bore - the other had the ability to replace the choke -

I will bet many guys would fork over an extra $25-$30 to get this feature.

Plus many would run out and buy extra choke tubes which must be a high margin item.

Remington are you listening?

9. denn1911

denn1911

Oct 14, 2010
    New England
    Call you local gun shops. They tend to have used barrels in stock most of the time.

10. You might not have overpaid. The 18.5 barrels with screw in chokes are quite a bit higher than regular cylinder bore, no choke models.