close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where to buy a Butterfly knife?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HOTHEAD, Dec 1, 2012.

1. HOTHEAD

HOTHEAD

OK, short and sweet.

My 13 yo son came to me and asked how I would feel about him asking for a butterfly for Christmas. After talking it over with the wife, and having a conversation with him about reasons he would like one, I think I'm OK with it. He is a pretty responsible kid, and I've explained if it leaves the house for any reason other than fishing or camping, he will be dragged into the basement and beaten where the neighbors will not be able to hear the screams:whistling:.

I get that to a 13 yo they are pretty high with cool factor. So I checked, and they are legal to own in NY, but I may have a hard time finding places that will ship here. Nothing fancy, he's just going to flip it around till he breaks a pin out of it anyways..

It would be great if anyone knew an online knife store that accepted Paypal, as it just makes it easy to complete sales..

Thanks
    Regards
    HOTHEAD

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. countrygun

countrygun

I looked up the Bear Butterly at about $29 on the Smokey Mountain Knife Works website and it says "Restricted" in a couple of places including NY.

3. HOTHEAD

HOTHEAD

I spent about an hour reading, I guess they are legal to own, at least upstate, but most company's just don't want to take the chance on dealing with NY.

4. HOTHEAD

HOTHEAD

5. 17119jfkioe

17119jfkioe

sorry, that post was not even remotely helpful to you. Let me look around for a website.

What city do you live in?

6. GAFinch

GAFinch

Try a flea market or a downtown pawn shop that sells guns and/or knives.

7. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

8. taurn88

taurn88

Have you tried the flea markets? They're like $10 and the edge are usually dull. Good enough to play with.

9. Victoriagotagun

Victoriagotagun

For a non-knife, Spyderco has the Baliyo pen. That way he can practice without the possibly of getting cut.

http://baliyo.com/

10. countrygun

countrygun

We bought tose way back before people knew what a butterfly knife was. I still have a couple around.

I saw someone trying to sell one on GB trying to claim they "were specially made for the CIA" :rofl:

We bought them at Norm Thompson, I always knew they were a front operation:supergrin:

They are still a great knife EXCELLENT steel and they were under $20 at the time. If you "loosened them up" with a nail file for instance, they became very "flipable":whistling:

11. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

12. BEER

BEER bad example

ok i'll be the first one to give you really solid advice then.

convince your son there is absolutely no practical purpose for a butterfly/ballisong knife, nor are they "cool". they're impractical, slow, illegal in most places, and dangerous to both novices and practiced users.

if he's that keen on having a "cool" knife and you're going to keep a close eye on him and not let him carry it out of the house anyway just get him an auto. boker's sister company magnum makes a decent auto for like 30$.

better yet, get him a spyderco that he'll keep and use forever and then do the zip tie mod and teach him how to work it. he'll have a good knife that opens faster than anything else out there, and it'll still be a good legal knife once the cool factor wears off and he removes the zip tie.

my honest suggestion would be a spyderco tenacious.
    http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/spydercotenacious-plaincomboorserratededge.aspx

13. Benton

Benton

Google: Benchmade. I wouldn't get a 13 year old kid a butterfly knife, regardless of how responsible he SEEMS.

14. 4Rules

4Rules

15. joker42179

joker42179

just get him a butterfly trainer

16. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

17. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I think I got my 1st butterfly @ about that age.

Never got in trouble with it, but did get some bloody knuckles practicing. Mine still works to this day. I'll have to check the brand tomorrow to see if they're still made. The latch is worn, though, and won't keep it closed. I think I can use a piece of electrical tape to make it work. :)

Good luck on the search. These days, it'd be a tough call to make. Seems kids are "different" now than they were 20 years ago. If he's a good, decent kid, then he'll probably be fine with it.

18. Gombey

Gombey

Check out Knife Center

They have great prices, I know that they sell Benchmades at the LEO .mil discount price and right now they have free shipping on orders over $99. Get another knife for yourself or a gift!

19. Keoking

Keoking

Same here. My dad bought it for me while we were hanging out in a mall waiting on my mom to get her ass in gear. I still have it nearly 30 years later.

Only "trouble" I got into was when I brought it into high school to carve my initials into a bench in the senior study area. Teacher saw it, took it away, and made me pick it up in the office at the end of the day, before I got on the bus.

I grew up in a whole different world than we currently live in.