close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where should I move?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by musclegto, Nov 30, 2012.

1. musclegto

musclegto

Well, I was born and raised in Chicago. I love this city, it really has it's charm, but I feel like it's time for me to go. The gun laws suck, high crime, high taxes and its freezing half the year. Everything from the red light cameras to mobs of parking violation "officers" handing out $60 tickets like its candy really make me question my freedoms. Might sounds cheesy, but I imagine waking up to beautiful plains or mountains with temperate weather. A state where I can have fun with my guns and cars without having to worry so much about "the law." Im a friendly, easy going guy who minds his own business and would like to live by like minded people, although a large city nearby would not hurt. I am 25 years old and plan on saving my money to take off sometime in the next year or two. I will be taking road trip next summer to check some places out west. Colorado sounds like a good place to start. Any advice would be great, thanks fellas.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  2. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio are all good picks for my money. I'd be in one of these in a heartbeat if my ex would hurry up and get hit by a bus so I can get my kids. ;)

3. rilkil23

rilkil23

Colorado Springs puts you 45 minutes from Denver. Check it out.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

I don't know where you should go but I can tell you this....don't come to Rhode Island. I can't wait to get out of here myself. Good luck with your move my friend.

5. Slug71

Slug71

Virginia?

Im moving there early next year.

6. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Texas. Did you say what kind of work you do.

7. jp3975

jp3975

TX has pretty high property taxes but i love all of these towns.

8. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

depends on your means. if money is not an issue you can move to any of the free states, otherwise youre bound by your marketablity.

9. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

I forgot Tulsa too.. some beautiful stuff up that way.

10. RGbiker

RGbiker

Consider moving to Arizona. Constitutional carry and did I mention we like all makes guns and ammo?

11. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Reno/Northern Nevada along the CA border. I would caution you if you end up in a small (ish) town. If you are used to the city, a small town might drive you nuts especially if you are young and looking for anything even remotely stimulating to your senses

12. musclegto

musclegto

Colorado springs has been on my check out list for a while now, will definitely be a stop on my road-trip. I have heard the crowd at Austin Texas is young, but I don't know how well I will handle the Texas summers, which is why I was shooting for a little farther north. I would consider California but it's even worse than Illinois in terms of personal freedoms. Arizona and Oklahoma are also on the list.

13. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

There are better places than the Springs. The Denver metro area has lots of good suburbs.

Chicago money would go a long way here. Roads aren't terrible. The cops will give you a pass on most car stuff unless you drive like a total jerk off.

The springs has the highest crime in the area. I would take a pass.

14. musclegto

musclegto

I have an 04 GTO with 420 to the wheels that I granny throttle most of the time because the cops around here won't let one slip by.

Having lived in the "hood" neighborhoods of Chicago all of my life, crime rate is probably the least of my worries. But I will for sure be checking out the surrounding areas near the springs.

15. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

I had an 08 LS2 TBSS followed by a 400 AWHP Audi wagon and now a 450 HP TTV8 Audi and I drive enthusiastically. I'm also a patrol officer in the metro area. Unless you are unsafe or reckless, most spirited driving is forgiven around here.

The crime in this area is different than Chicago. In some ways it is worse because of the type of bad guy versus Chicago. There are some real weirdos here. I grew up in a ****sville area of Los Angeles and worked as a cop in bad parts of DFW and the Denver area and Colorado Springs makes me bring spare mags. :supergrin:

16. TK-421

TK-421

I've heard good things about northern Arizona. Texas summers suck balls big time, and yes, Austin is a young town, and very liberal leaning. I don't think you'd like living here, unless you like living in a semi-college town. But if you like bars and live music, supposedly 6th street is the place to be.

I plan on leaving Texas as soon as I can. The summers suck, don't like the fact that we can't open carry and can't carry on schools, which sucks when I'm going to college, there's no snow, people complain it's cold when it's like 60 degrees out, there's no snow. The nice thing is that cars don't have much rust here, thanks to no snow, makes them easier to work on, but I do like my snow, and my cold.

I want somewhere in between texas and illinois. I don't want 110+ degree days during summer, and I don't want the inside of my windshield to have frost in the winter. And I want very lax gun laws, somewhat low cost of living, and low unemployment. I figure either the southern to mid portion of the east coast, not up north, or the somewhere in the south to middle of the west, but not the west coast.

17. glock1911revolver

glock1911revolver Vice-Emperor

Okay, tastless and way too soon, but how about Little Falls, Minnesota? There is a house that is now vacant and only needs a window repaired and some blood cleaned from the basement floor. The local crime element just got eliminated.

18. XDfense

XDfense

I'm gonna vote Chattanooga. No sales tax in TN and extremely gun friendly. In the mountains with lots of water and more outdoor activities than you can imagine. Two hours away from Nashville. Two hours away from Atlanta. Great downtown. Has a liberal feel (it's a college town) with conservative values. People in the south are uber friendly.

We moved from Chicago to Atlanta 7 years ago for a job promotion. We haven't looked back and visit Chattanooga regularly. If my boss would let me live there, I would in a heartbeat.

19. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Take a look at Boise, Idaho. Hasn't been taken over yet by a-holes liberals from California like Denver or Boulder Colorado has.

And yeah, Chattanooga is a pretty nice area as well.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  20. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

An hour north of Phoenix.