Where is your Light mounted on your M4?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by BLACK Z, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    flight just delayed...Orlando. Where should we eat? The Okie Corral Mar 20, 2015
    Anyone know where I can find some Hi Viz light pipes? General Firearms Forum Jan 26, 2012
    Where to buy a Blackhawk holster and light together? Cop Talk Jul 25, 2011
    Where to find a Ithaca Featherlight 37 barrel? Tactical Shotguns Dec 10, 2010
    Where's a good place to buy a Glock Tac light? Sights, Optics and Lasers Jun 23, 2010

2. whitebread

whitebread ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Left side so I can activate with my left thumb.

3. Same here.
  4. I mount mine strong side with a pressure switch. This way the light is not againt my body when the weapon is slung.
    #4 NCHeel, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  5. Mine is a TLR1 mounted on the bottom of the railed handguard, right behind the forward sling attachment.
  6. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Mine is mounted on the first slot at the six o'clock position. That way I can bump it with my index knuckle to turn it on. Haven't had any issues with it there.
  7. since i just uploaded this picture i guess i might as well share it. not exactly an m4 but.... i use the pressure switch on the top rail and thumbs over grip to activate. 1:30 position keeps the light as close to the barrel as possible and out of the way when shooting around barriers/walls/doorways with a strong side grip for a righty.

#7 JBarbaresi, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  8. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

Three o'clock, strong side with the button in line with the forearm grip. It reduces accidental illuminations (for me).
  9. I have a Daniel Defense DDM4, and it has the Omega X rail that extends past the front sight, so I have mine mounted forward of the front sight. I actually really like it there; very good ergonomics when it comes to using the light while maintaining good tactical control of your AR. As always, just my $0.02.
  10. Mine is mounted at 6 o'clock, using an Elzetta mount.
  11. mvician

Lifetime Member

Left side, thumb activated support hand
  12. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan

13. Other than a different rail, this is identical to how I have the light on my SBR. I have a Surefire 600 in the same LT offset mount on a 3 o-clock rail.
  14. I have mine mounted on the left side, I have the pressure switch mounted On my vertical foregrip and it was easier for me to turn the light on with my weak hand thumb also. I practice weak hand and strong hand side barricade. Our Swat guns have the lights mounted on the right side. I don't like the light mounted below but I may try it again and see.

The Light is the one on there site, the guns came with the stuff in the Pic we id add some other stuff like the Foregrip and Night Vision and they also can throw lead a little faster then the one in the Pic.

I do like the lights that are mounted in the 1 or 11 o'clock spots.
    #14 BLACK Z, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  15. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

Me too.
  16. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Surefire M900 PG light mounted at 6 o'clock.
  17. Stream light TLR-1s at 12:00 in front of the FSP. I use a thumb over grip and activate with my weak side thumb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    #17 Mike from Texas, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  18. MrMurphy

MrMurphy *********
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

I've experimented with every option.

When i first knew nothing I went with a 6 oclock mount. Lots of barrel shadow, and that knuckle gets real beat up when it's the 400th activation in one day.

My unit at the time had PAQ4's mounted on top so I went with a 3 oclock (right side) mount. This worked reasonably well with the thumb but barrel shadow was still an issue (this was using a 6P) and whenever I had an M203 mounted, which was often, I was effectively unable to use the light.

The unit switched to PEQ-2s mounted on the right rail and the top was generally full of grenade launcher sights, so I ended up going with a LaRue LT606 in the 10:30 position (see whitebread's pic).

This both lit up the irons with a 7" rail, cleared the barrel shadow, avoided all the 12/3 oclock stuff mounted to my rails, and cleared the M203.

As Costa, Haley and fanboys found out (and I did seperately) it's also well placed for using with your thumb if you use your VFG as a handstop (pulling back on it, not choking the chicken) or don't have a VFG and wrap your hand.

I've never varied from the 10:30 position with tailcap by preference, though I do have a M600 Scout i can use at the 3oclock with a tailcap button. It had a tape switch, but having killed somewhere around 20 tape switches doing entries, I am not a fan and traded it.

An offset LaRue mount for the Scout is in my future, since it throws more light than the current G3.
  19. Me too.