close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Where does everyone get their gun safes?

Discussion in 'Carolina Glockers' started by Carbonfly, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Carbonfly

Carbonfly

Nov 20, 2008
    Columbia, SC
    I'm looking for a place here in Columbia, SC that would be a good place to get a gun safe. I know that Dicks Sporting has safes and Shooter's choice has safes. Do locksmiths sell safes? Anyway to get a good deal on a repo safe?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009

2. Carbonfly

Carbonfly

Nov 20, 2008
    Columbia, SC
  3. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

Oct 16, 2007
  4. Eagle22

Eagle22

Feb 6, 2009
    Raleigh NC
  5. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

Oct 16, 2007
    Sometimes good replies can take a day or two. People's schedules differ.

6. BadAndy

BadAndy

Oct 2, 2004
    Irmo, SC
    I don't have a safe, yet...only places I've seen locally that sell them are Sportsmans and Dicks like you already posted.

7. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

Jul 27, 2007
    North Carolina
    I bought a GunVault from e-bay. But if you're looking for something to store more than a couple of handguns, I have no idea.

8. Carbonfly

Carbonfly

Nov 20, 2008
    Columbia, SC
    I'm looking for long gun storage. Thanks though. I've been eyeing a Stack-On 28 gun safe at Dick's for a couple of weeks. This weekend I'll probably head over to Shooter's choice and check to see if they have any deals.

9. BadAndy

BadAndy

Oct 2, 2004
    Irmo, SC
    Have you looked in the Carolina Trader? You may find a deal there.

10. Carbonfly

Carbonfly

Nov 20, 2008
    Columbia, SC
    I guess I could do that. I just hate having to pay to look through ads.

11. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Jan 27, 2006
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Costco. They deliver it to your house and place it where you want..

12. ranger88

ranger88 CLM

Apr 30, 2004
    Columbia, S.C.
    I bought my Liberty safe ($800) from Shooter's Choice over a decade ago and it is still serving me well. Even though I would love to have a larger one. Depending on your age and income, I would suggest buying a safe larger than you think you currently need (to allow for expansion of your collection). And I would suggest staying away from the Stack-On or locker style metal safes. Get yourself a real safe and it will pay you back in peace of mind dividends. You should be able to get a heavy duty "real" safe for around a grand depending on size. That's about the price of a high quality firearm.

13. ranger88

ranger88 CLM

Apr 30, 2004
    Columbia, S.C.
    Also if you go to Shooter's Choice to get your safe, don't be afraid to negotiate the price. Probably won't get much off in this market, but you never know. And of course, sometimes cash will get you a break on price as well. Do yourself a favor and get some friends to help you transport and install it in your house. The prices that they quote for delivery and set-up are a little on the high side.

14. ranger88

ranger88 CLM

Apr 30, 2004
    Columbia, S.C.

Sorry. My bad. I wasn't trying to insult you, but the only Stack-On "safes" that I've ever seen are the ones at Sportsman's Warehouse or Dick's Sporting Goods. And they were essentially lockers. I apologize if I offended you.... :embarassed: You learn something new every day.

15. Carbonfly

Carbonfly

Nov 20, 2008
    Columbia, SC
    Oh no. I wasn't offended. I was trying to make a point in a few words as possible. The wife was yelling for me to come to dinner. lol. I think might check out some pawn shops this weekend.

16. ranger88

ranger88 CLM

Apr 30, 2004
    Columbia, S.C.
    No worries.

Just looked in the 1 week old Carolina Trader that I had lying around and the only gun safe listing is:

50 CU FT LIBERTY SAFE 42"W, 72.5"H, 27.5"D Granite color. Holds 43 long guns. Weighs about 1300 lbs. $1500. You must move. 803-414-6017

This is exactly how the ad is listed and I just transcribed it exactly. I don't know the seller or anything about the item other than what it says. If the safe is in reasonably good condition, then this is probably an outstanding deal. I really wish that I could upgrade to this one myself. But it is probably too heavy and too big to go upstairs where I need it. Best of luck in your search.