close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Where do you shop for supplies?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by mixflip, Sep 1, 2011.

1. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    This almost sounds to simple of a question but I am really curious. Where do you guys do most of your preparedness shopping?

websites names would be the most helpful to me.

2. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.

3. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    Local supermarkets, resturant suppliers, Dicks Sporting Goods, Home Depot and Lowes. It rare if I order on the internet for prepping supplies.

4. Anywhere and everywhere local that has a good deal and takes cash!

5. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Local when possible, farther out (Sam's an hour away, etc) when necessary, online for 'oddball' things (02 absorbers, water filters, mylar bags, etc) that either can't be had - or just don't have much selection of - at stores within an hour drive or so.

6. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    Like Quake said, unless its an oddball thing I usually can find what I need at a local retail, sporting goods, camping, gun store.

Most used places are

Cabelas - www.cabelas.com
    REI - www.rei.com
    EMS - www.ems.com

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  7. ratf51

ratf51

Aug 6, 2010
    NW GA
    Depends on the items, but mostly local places for the majority of things. Lowe's/Home Depot, Whatever-Mart/Sam's/Costco, and local grocery stores will cover most of what you need. Look for old, long history, smaller, family-run type hardware/general stores-- these places will surprise you with some of the stuff they will have on the shelves. The more unique or specialized items I have had to internet surf for, especially the long-life storage foods. I have had good response from MREDepot. Happy Hunting!

8. thesurefire

thesurefire

Apr 16, 2006
    Colorado
  9. R_W

R_W

Nov 8, 2007
    Those listed above pluse www.beprepared.com

Most stuff comes from local stores. I have several Amish stores near me as well--REAL Amish-run stores. They are an AWESOME source of bulk foodstuff.

10. Raiden

Raiden C&R Fun!

I take advantage of "Super Saver Shipping" on Amazon.com fairly regularly. A lot of items qualify, and if the total cost of these qualifying items are over $25, they ship free in about 5 days. I usually get good deals on camping supplies, electronics, books, housewares, optics, clothing and accessories. For most of my other shopping, I'll get stuff from local suppliers (okay, I have to drive an hour or so away from the city and suburbs). I've had positive experiences with Mayflower Trading for bulk lentils, #10 cans of freeze-dried food, and some home canning supplies. Honeyville Food Products sometimes has some good deals, too.

11. Commander_Zero

Commander_Zero

Sep 3, 2007
    MT
    Its opportunistic....I just keep my eyes open. A yard sale where I find cast iron cookware, a pawn shop that has a Remington 870 in the window, a surplus store that has ammo cans stacked by the curb, etc, etc. I just keep my eyes open.

For specific things I'm looking for I either hit Amazon or eBay. eBay is especially good for the weird and hard to find stuff. Craigslist can come up with some cool stuff too but thats more in the populous regions than here in the boonies.

But, really, alot of it is just keeping your eyes open and finding the stuff you need in places you werent expecting to find it.

12. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono

Jul 15, 2009
    I watch some of the "deal" sites that are on the web. Techbargains, dealcatcher, slickdeals, etc. Also, keep an eye on rei outlet and cabela's bargain cave.

13. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    e-bay, amazon.com super saver, lowes or home depot, office depot, albertson's supermarket.

The challenge this am was to find large paper grocery sized reusable cotton supermarket bags with long handles. The local cities and my county mandate the use of reusable bags. Found them on ebay and could have ordered with leather handles, pictures, stencils or lettering. NOw I won't have to use the crappy small advertising ones sold in the local grocery stores.

14. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    +1 on beprepared.com

15. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Nov 18, 2003
    Bad-Lands Ranch
    MH from www.karstsports.com is one nobody has mentioned yet.

They have their operation together - I've never been dissapointed. Free shipping over a certain $ amount (which has been everytime I ordered).

Good Luck!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011