Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Where do you carry?

Discussion in 'Ohio Glockers' started by crossfire40, Jan 4, 2007.

1. crossfire40

May 16, 2006
    SW ohio
    Even though the way we can carry in our vehicle is being fixed, where can you carry in Ohio. Basically if I make a run to the bank I can't carry. If I take the kids to or pick them up from school, I can't carry. If I take the family out to dinner anyplace better than a fast food joint, I can't carry (liquor law). Make a quick trip to UDF, leave the gun at home. Plus the many business, even grocery stores that have signs posted leaves me with Wal-Mart, Sams, Speedway and fast food places. What's the point?
  2. firedog978

Nov 12, 2004

Our Ohio laws are far from perfect yet. It appears that they are getting better (as we all believed they would), and should continue to do so. Some places off limits to carry are simply common sense and are pretty much standard state to state. Others, need to be and hopefully will be changed.

You ask "what's the point?" Here it is in short. States' gun laws enacted or ammended are like any other thing a politician does; contingent on the vote. The more CHL's issued in Ohio, the more the politicians vote for good laws. And, the more there are, the more politicians listen to their concerns.

Besides, look around. I think you'll find more places you can carry than you may think. Use the bank's drive thru instead of going in. If UDF is posted go to Speedway or some other quick mart. A noticeable loss of business makes retailers take notice. I even spoke to the manager and emailed the regional manager of a local Best Buy about posting and the sign came down! Many of the pro gun sites have printable/attachable to email letters and information to send out or give out to businesses that are posted. These things work. Some of these sites are: Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohioans for Concealed Carry and They all do good work for the cause.

Finally, we in SW Ohio are lucky. We live near enough to Kentucky and Indiana to patronize their businesses. In Kentucky you can carry in a restaurant that serves drinks (don't drink while doing it) for a meal. These states recognize Ohio CHL.

Don't leave your protection at home because Ohio laws are not perfect (YET). And please don't question "what's the point?" As a CHL, you know the point. Being prepared to defend you or a loved one if the SHTF. At this time just try to find answers to your routine and find answers to the limitations of how you do your business and where.

3. Brian Dover

Brian Dover

Jul 31, 2002
    SW Ohio
    Firedog is right, crossfire. Ohioans for Concealed Carry has business cards you can hand out, which basically state "No Guns=No Money" on one side, and on the back explain how CHL holders are upright citizens.

So far in my little burg, use of those little cards by just my dad and I have gotten the signs taken down in three or four places. It isn't that hard. Get into the game with us, brother.
  4. Yup, the antis have been very successful haven't they! They said they would block carry to the point you can carry to and from your car...

Support your state pro-CCW organizations with money and time!
  5. AJE

AJE Grumpy Old Man

Apr 5, 2004
    SW Ohio
    Who says you can't carry in a bank? The only bank I've seen posted is 5/3. I go into the Piqua branch of Chase bank and they aren't posted.
  6. Ol' 12-toes

Ol' 12-toes

Apr 18, 2004
    My FORMER bank prohibits CC

My local Golden Corral (yes, I know, but I'm a coarse feeder) did post criminal protection signs - I e-mailed corporate office and local franchise - they never responded to me, but the signs came down -

I WOULD like to see a 51% law, but I wouldn't like to encourage drunken food-fights at Olive Garden, Applebee's, etc.
  7. firedog978

Nov 12, 2004
    I've never banked anywhere I couldn't CC. And, if my bank ever did post, I'd immediately close my accounts and tell them why!

Also, I've been eating in many Kentucky (51%) restaurants and haven't ever seen or even heard of a drunken food fight :thumbsup:
  8. exprt9

Feb 6, 2006
    Buckeye State
    Everywhere thats legal to carry.
  9. BB62

Nov 16, 2003
    That would be a real shame, now wouldn't it?

Of course, I see your point. You have heard of ALL KINDS of such fights in KY (where you can carry in the restaurant portion of a serving establishment, AND drink) and in Indiana (where you can carry in a bar AND drink), haven't you?

Oh, you haven't? Well then, maybe your fears are unfounded.

10. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

May 20, 2001
    MI's ccw law started out slightly rough, and came around quickly.

give yours time to come around also.

as far as the 51% law goes...its a COMPLETE non issue. CCW hasn't turned any state into the wild west, and it certainly won't start with yours.

time and again CCWers have been proven to be the most upright and law abiding citizens. if i were a douchbag i wouldn't think twice about carrying into olive garden (which is 3 minutes away from me :supergrin:) and getting drunk, but a simple law doesn't matter at that point ;)
  11. Setzer77

Nov 10, 2006
    Dayton, Ohio
    This may sound a bit brash and bullheaded, but I tend to carry anywhere it's not a felony, with the exception of a hospital. I will carry in my 5/3 bank, I'll carry places that have signs up. I'll pay the criminal trespassing fee, no biggie. I WON'T carry in an establishment that serves alcohol, shcools, etc.

When I worked for a contracting company for dish network (you've probably seen the little toyota tacoma pickups with dish stickers on them, that's us) it was company policy NOT to carry a firearm. I did it anyway, especially when they wanted to send me to dayton. Half the people in the warehouse, including the FSMs knew I carried, not a one cared, and many agreed with my idea.

Jan 11, 2004
    Why do you make the exception for hospitals?
  13. Setzer77

Nov 10, 2006
    Dayton, Ohio
    Well, I noticed a sign on the door, a security guard directly behind that door, and out of simple respect. Likely the nurses and such (especially MVH here in dayton) probably have do deal with gunshots and stabbings pretty consistently, IMO they shouldn't have to deal with the stress of me carrying in a fairly secure environment should that fact come to light.
  14. Brian Dover

Brian Dover

Jul 31, 2002
    SW Ohio
    Setzer, we all make our choices in these regards, and I certainly respect yours. You know, I've long thought that it's not so much IN the hospital that concealed carry is vital, but to this day there's not a parking area at one of those places that doesn't give me the heebie jeebies, especially the garages!
  15. RickJZ

Mar 8, 2006
    concealed is concealed (no metal detectors, no worries)!!!
  16. Debob

Debob CLM

Jan 31, 2007
    central ohio
    All the people who carry in Ohio should join Ohioans For Concealed Carry. The more who join means more work can be done to change the laws that affect us. So just log on and join! It would be time well spent.:thumbsup:
  17. anyplainjoe

anyplainjoe Nobody special.

Dec 28, 2005
    In flyover country
    Does anyone have a link to a/or a pre-written letter to business owners complaining about their anti-CCW policy?
  18. Setzer77

Nov 10, 2006
    Dayton, Ohio
    Well, it wasn't a parking garage, we were right in front of the emergency room like 40 feet from the door, and in between the seats was the 3913 LS. Had it been a parking garage, it would have been ready to roll at all times.
  19. firedog978

Nov 12, 2004
    YES! This is on Ohioans for Concealed Carry, Inc.
    I am copying it and pasting so, borders may be askew but, a printable copy can be gotten from the website.

What Business Owners in Ohio Need to Know About Ohio’s
    Concealed Handgun Law
    As a business owner and leader in your community we know you put a great deal of
    thought into how to best care for the safety of your patrons and can imagine the recent
    implementation of legalized concealed carry in Ohio left you wondering about your
    responsibilities under the law.
    Businesses that are not specifically named as prohibited locations have no obligation to
    post signs banning legal concealed carry - regardless of advice given by local law
    enforcement, city officials, or Chambers of Commerce.
    46 states nationwide allow residents to carry concealed firearms. There are numerous
    cases where a legally carried firearm was used to stop a violent attack inside a business.
    Studies indicate banning firearms actually increases your risk of a shooting.
    Most telling is one horrific instance at a Luby’s in Killeen, Texas, where a license - holder
    obeyed the law by leaving her legally carried handgun in her car because of signs banning
    weapons, only to see her Mother and Father - as well as 21 other patrons - lose their lives
    at the hands of deranged killer.
    We strongly suggest you take the time to visit our website ( and read “What
    Business Owners Need to Know About the Concealed Carry Law” before making a
    decision to post signs banning weapons in your establishment.
    You will learn there are no credible studies that show increased danger to businesses that
    allow concealed carry and you will learn about the liability issues if you make the decision
    to leave patrons and employees defenseless.
    Ohio’s concealed carry law is the strictest in the nation, requiring 12 hours of training
    including use of deadly force and a thorough criminal background and mental competency
    check. Therefore, you can be assured that license holders have never been convicted of
    any felony or minor drug offense and have never been adjudicated mentally incompetent.
    You certainly don’t know this much about your other customers.
    Once you have a chance to consider the overwhelming evidence in favor of allowing
    concealed carry in your business we are sure you will choose to not discriminate against
    Ohio’s most law - abiding citizens.
    Please let us know when you have removed all posted “no guns” signs and you will be
    removed from our Do Not Patronize While Armed list.
    We welcome your questions; feel free to contact me by email
    Joe Eaton
    OFCC Business Education Coordinator
  20. mattswabb

Jun 19, 2005
    Elyria, OH
    Why would you support businesses that don't allow ccw? My bank allows concealed carry and I'd never go into a UDF. If you stay off the school property then you can pick up the kids. Just need to make the kids walk off the property to meet you. I never go to walgreens or to Marco's pizza or any other CPZ. Takes a little planning but it can be done.

DO NOT patronize "no guns" places that volutarily put up the signs (not state/federal mandated places). If you support their business then you're supporting the anti-gunners.