Where do you buy your practice Ammo?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by I0WA, Mar 2, 2012.

1. I0WA

I'm shopping different providers for practice ammo, because frankly I'm looking for a cheaper solution so I can put more rounds through.

Also, what should I avoid? Any brands to avoid? (I know about lead bullets no no)

Thanks guys! You're the best.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

3. UMC at walmart is close by and ~250 / 1000. I have run plated bullets (reloads) from people I know and trust. I watch the cheaper than dirt and similar sites for cheap bulk as well.

I avoid anything made by a past (or present) communist or Warsaw pact nation.

ON EDIT: those are 9mm prices and ammo. 45 is more and I am more likely to run reloads using cast lead.

#2 Radian, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  4. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

SGAmmo online. :thumbsup:

5. trekgod3

trekgod3 Quad-Glocker

250 round UMC 9mm @ Walmart : $59.99
    100 Round Federal .40 @ Walmart : $31.99
    100 Round WWB .45 @ Walmart : $32.99

6. Well, it was the high cost of .45ACP that pushed me over to the dark side, and I put together a humble reloading bench to load up all the brass I've saved and collected...

Regarding factory ammo, I usually hit Academy Sports, GT Distributors, or everyone's favorite--Wal Mart. I haven't done any orders with them, but a lot of guys here like Georgia Arms for bulk ammo. You'll really save a lot if you order online.

For the cost and performance, I really like the Speer Lawman ammo, as it shoots a lot like their Gold Dot ammo. On the cheap, Tula, Monarch, and Winchester come to mind. CCI Blazer is also one of my favorites to break in new pistols.

What caliber(s) are you shooting?

7. I0WA

For now all I shoot is 9mm, but soon to be 12ga Shotgun.

8. I0WA

#7 I0WA, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  9. I checked this this am to see what shipping would cost and it says the 1000 pack of American Eagle is out of stock.

In my experience, and for the small quantities I buy (250 rd.), stopping by WalMart beats shipping from on-line distributors. I even get the benefit of an occasional malfunction drill, using the UMC stuff. :whistling:

And Wally World always seems to have a yellow box or 2 of my ammo in the case (.40 or 9mm).

10. I0WA

Lol @ malfunction drill. I still haven't had to clear a pistol yet... although I know how to. Guess I've been pretty lucky so far.

*dashes for some wood and knocks on it*

11. T-Rod45

T-Rod45 Loves The Glock

I buy all my postol practice ammo at Walmart. Cheapest there is.

12. I don't buy it. I build it.

I prefer to use ammunition for practice that equates as closely as possible to the ammunition I am going to be using should the need arise to use my handgun in defense of my life or another.

The devil is in the details.:cool:

13. try slickguns.com

14. www.luckygunner.com has good prices. I've also bought some at WallyWorld (Walmart). I found that after you add sales tax, and then compare with Luckygunner and their shipping charges that Luckygunner comes out a little cheaper.

15. TucsonGlocker

TucsonGlocker Young Gun

Walmart. I've always wanted to purchase it from an online website, but Walmart's prices are extremely competitive for what I need :thumbsup:

16. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

I usually pay around 14 to 18 in UPS shipping, depending on whether I buy 500 or 1000 rounds. Not alot of difference in the shipping of the two amounts, that's with insurance and signature confirmation. I only live 500 miles away though... might make a difference.

17. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Academy Sports, Wal-Mart, Pawn shop/LGS.

18. I always wind up at Wal-Mart and Academy myself.

19. G30Mike

G30Mike Say When!

Either WalMart, or the old guy that has an ammo shop really close to the public range. He usually has great prices and a lot in stock.
    On top of that, he stocks targets, earplugs, mags, and other last minute range gear.

20. I0WA

Where's this old guy =O

21. Wal-Mart most of the time