Where are you finding ammo?

Discussion in 'Heart of Dixie Glockers' started by w4dov, Mar 29, 2013.

1. I live in Oxford and have had a tough time finding ammo around here. I have been able to amass around 800 rounds in the past few months but not without playing a lot of hide and seek. Here's my summary of my efforts.

* Most walmart stores are dried up. LGS are trying to make house payments off every box.

* I have been able to do some trading with other .40 shooters to get about 150 rounds but my trade ammo is gone.

Where are you finding your ammo (if you are).

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I get all of mine out of my gun safe:supergrin:, but seriously, almost everyone is having trouble finding ammo in stores at decent prices. There isn't any special place to look, just be diligent and keep looking. I do believe that it is starting to get a little better though, so hang in there.

3. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

Try Simmons Sporting Goods in Bessemer.

They have most available, at times, and their prices aren't too jacked up. (Maybe 20% higher than last year).

Call before you go to make sure they have what you want.

4. I literally call about 15 walmarts about every other day. Sometimes I score, most times I don't. Sometimes I even go to Academy to pick up a measly box when they have some. For the walmarts nearby, I know when their trucks come in and when the pallets hit the floor. I go then and peruse the boxes along with several other folks

5. Since you're in Oxford, I assume you've been to B&B and Shotgun Supply. They both HAD a decent supply not long ago. I picked up a box of 50 rounds of .38 Special FMJ at B&B for $20 recently. Also, BPW in Trussville usually has good stock.

6. In the Pacific Northwest: Bimart will sometimes have ammo, but I have seen up to five customers awaiting the ammo shipments. Portland? Keith's; and the Gunbroker chain still have some supplies. Good Luck.

7. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

My uncle was telling me he found some bulk .22LR 500rd bricks in stock at the Gander Mtn in Opelika/Auburn. How much were they listed at, you ask? I hope you are sitting down. $175.

Right now the only reliable place I'm finding ammo is from my basement. Primers, powder, brass, and bullets :)

#8 Fear Night, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  8. How to use the Wal-Mart iPod /iPhone App to search for Ammo.

1. Get the App from iTunes store and Install it.

2. Open up the App and choose your store. Keep in mind that the App searches a 25 mile (as the Crow Flies) radius in search of Wal-Mart Stores who stock Ammo. (or whatever else you want to search Wal-Mart to buy) Choose your store wisely.

3. Next “Start Shopping” and search for Ammo. As an example, type in “9mm”

4. Federal Champion 9mm Full Metal jacket Rounds should pop up next.

5. Select (or Tap) on that icon

6. Top window will pop up and say something like “Not Available online at this Store”

7. The next Window down will say “Store Price and Availability”

8. Select (or tap) on that icon (Store Price and Availability)

9. Another window will open and show you all of the stores in a 25 mile radius who has (or doesn’t have) Ammo.

10. Store Inventories are usually posted by 8-10 PM every Night. Wal-Mart starts selling Ammo at either 7AM or 8AM. Your local Wal-Mart store has its own local policy when they start selling Ammo. Go to the Store “Help Desk” and ask questions.

9. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

markerbeacon describes an app that you can search Walmart stores.

You can do exactly the same thing on the Walmart website from any computer, too.

10. The local Cabelas is a warehouse for midwest stores, so they have had a steady stream of .40 for me. Wal-mart has had some. The rest I already owned.

11. Just to update, Simmons in Bessemer had 500 bricks of CCI Stingers for $79.88 last Saturday, but had NO .357SIG at all.

12. I'm ordering mine over the phone. Just got another 1000 rounds a few days ago (500 9mm and 500 10mm). Was about 3 weeks from order to door.

13. UPDATE 17 June Web Site back up and running:

use this: ammo-can.net works every time at Walmart

#14 markerbeacon, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  14. Monitor deals on GunBroker. Refuse to pay for the usual price gouging. Sportsmans Warehouse here in Irmo, SC does pretty well. Palmetto State Armory in Irmo as well.