close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Where are all the Shields?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by G23Gen4TX, Jun 26, 2012.

1. G23Gen4TX

G23Gen4TX

Nov 9, 2010
    Is S&W creating a low supply on purpose? I've been waiting over a month to get one. I'm first in line and none are in. :-(

2. fusegsp

fusegsp

Jan 5, 2009
    Iowa
    I got lucky Friday night and scored a 9mm Shield. I was one of the first ones in at the local gunshow. The nines went quick. A couple dealers had one each of .40 and 9mm. One dealer told me his were all sold before the show started because a bunch of people called ahead and bought them and were going to pick them up at the show. The good news is that they were reasonably priced if you could find one. I paid $379 for mine. The Ruger SR 1911 is a favorite of gougers around here. I've seen them marked at $800.

3. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I haven't seen one yet. :dunno:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  4. Pepiot

Pepiot Yippee ki-ya...

Feb 18, 2007
    The Shop
    Me either and Ive been actively lookn since 4/12.

5. cal45

cal45

Jan 21, 2001
    Orlando, Florida
    Need to come to Central FL. Shoot Straight has a few boxes of them (9MM) in their Apopka store.

6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I'm pretty sure they aren't holding any back. They ARE in business to make money after all. It's a hot gun.

7. LawScholar

LawScholar

Aug 23, 2011
    Wyoming
    In the holsters of a bunch of happy shooters who aren't me. :(

8. G23Gen4TX

G23Gen4TX

Nov 9, 2010
    I've been waiting for over a month. Called a local academy and they told me they had 2 come in today which sold immediately.

9. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    You need to get on as many lists as possible. I lucked out when a used one showed up at my LGS and they only called me about it because I was on a list.

It's a hot item right now so be patient...it's worth the wait. :)

10. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Apr 23, 2011
    Central Texas
    I hope that you can find one--the Academy flyer in the paper listed Shield at $499, which I believe is already above list price. I got mine in April when they were announced, and even called S&W to order spare magazines. Still haven't received those yet, though.

11. I got lucky recently and stumbled on one. Its an awesome little gun. Now if SW would release magazines for sale.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL

I do not believe S&W is purposely creating a shortage. My guess is that the popularity of it caused the initial production run to sell perhaps quicker than they thought. I am also guessing that there is not a "production line" that is specifically dedicated to the Shield but that rather if we were at the factory we would see that the people who were putting together Shields a few months ago are currently putting together bigger M&Ps or ARs or case hardened Schofields or something else they discovered they have some extra parts for that they aven't made in a couple decades. But that is just a guess.

13. Shipwreck-The-Sequel

Shipwreck-The-Sequel Beretta 92 Nut!

May 11, 2010
    Hockey City, Texas
    I have had one for over a month now. But, I've been looking for a second one for over a month now. very hard to find

14. Liebestraum

Liebestraum

Jun 6, 2012
    You guys make me glad I impulse bought mine last month. I think I hit MSRP after taxes, sounds like it was worth it :thumbsup:

15. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    I've actually read on the S&W forum where someone talked to a tech that told them they now have 3 shifts going for Shield production alone due to the demand. If true, S&W has been doing everything just right with the Shield from the very beginning.

I've also been reading many posts where waiting lists for a Shield have 30-50 people on them. Think about all the gun shops nation wide that have similar lists and it's no surprise they seem to just be trickling in.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  16. Capacity 7 or 8 rounds,I can't see where I could ever want one. , M&P9c, capacity 12+1 rounds. All them extra rounds for 1/8" thicker???

17. Dan Glock

Dan Glock

Nov 24, 2011
    I got one and don't really want it anymore because my XDs haha. and thus everyone wants it!

18. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    It's a lot smaller than it is on paper.

Shield, compact and fullsize
    [​IMG]

It comes down to, do I want to wear normal clothes and not print or wear a size or two bigger pants and shirts. I stopped wearing baggy clothes when I was 15 so as an adult, I want to dress nice, still be able to carry yet not let anyone know that I'm carrying. The slide and frame are much thinner when you see them both in person. I have a FS M&P in 9mm and since it's as wide as the compact in width, the Shield is like a toothpick in comparison.

This is not an attack against you or anyone else. This is my thought process on the subject about my personal choice in carry guns and no one else. I quoted you as a reply, not an attack or put down. The adult reference is where I am in life and why I mentioned it. It does not mean I am saying you or anyone else is a "kid". This warning is needed since these threads can go out of whack very quickly and everyone is on the defensive. Happy happy joy joy! :supergrin:

Maybe I should make that my signature. :whistling:

19. Brad737

Brad737

May 30, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I've never fired a Shield, but I did fondle one at the LGS. With some Apex Tactical parts, this baby will be amazing. I'm VERY tempted because my M&P9L is my favorite of the polymer semis. I'm still kind of torn though, because I have 2 Kahrs, and they're SPECTACULAR CCWs.

20. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

Jan 24, 2009
    My dealer got one in last week. I was able to handle it before it promptly sold. This one was in .40 S&W.

Pretty good ergonomics. I liked it. Will likely be a big seller and hard to find for quite some time.

Did seem a tad big to pocket carry if anyone was thinking about doing so.