Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

When is this .22 lr craze going to end?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Cole125, May 8, 2013.

1. Adamz04

Mar 28, 2012
    Listen to yourself!!!! You buy thousands of rounds in a few weeks jumping on the opportunity to hoard ammo in a matter of 45 seconds and then you turn around and blame the hoarders.

You my friend are the problem! You ruin it for the people who have a life.
  2. Kichigai

Kichigai 気違い Was Mr30s

Apr 13, 2013
    South Florida

3. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

Dec 31, 1998
    Indianapolis, IN
    For an ammo manufacturer, the jump to producing rim-fire when it has been producing centerfire only would be tougher than it first appears.
  4. What is a hoarder?

I just got an e-mail that a particular brand of .22LR ammo I like was in stock. Immediately I ordered a case of 5,000 rounds.

Am I a hoarder?

Oh BTW, I have 2 daughters that shoot smallbore rifle competitively. They each put about 5,000-10,000 rounds a year down range. So that case I just ordered will last me about 3 to 4 months at best. (If I don't sell any to the other junior shooters in my club that are having trouble finding ammo.)
    Last edited: May 12, 2013
  5. I've been afflicted (with the .22 craze) since the late '60s, and with a bit of luck won't be cured anytime soon! :supergrin:
  6. Dont know but even though they didnt have any today the lady at Walmart said she DID have some in stock on Saturday and thats the first they had had in 2 months.....
  7. My LGS got in a boatload of CCI yesterday. Mini-Mags, Stingers, 375 round bulk boxes. You could buy 2000 rounds if you wanted to.

They have been getting 22LR in regularly. It sells out quickly, but you can have them reserve some for you if you stop in or call the store.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
  8. triggerjerk

Dec 19, 2000
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
  9. WE0H

Apr 29, 2013
    Walmart sells 22 short for under 4 bucks per 50 rounds. I use that to get me thru the 22LR supply issues :)

No reason to overpay for ammo. It is out there but hard to find.

10. hatidua

Nov 21, 2004
    right here
    -There was a .22 shortage after the '08 election
    -There has been a .22 shortage after the '12 election
    -There will be a .22 shortage after the '16 election
    -There will be whining in early '17 about the .22 shortage
  11. dougader

Apr 17, 2004
    I actually saw some 22 LR at the local Bi-Mart recently. The limit was 200 rounds total. They actually broke up some 500 round bricks and were selling the little 50 round boxes for $1.88, which is not a bad price, imo.

But the 100 round Win Whitebox 45 auto was over $63! I let them keep that.
  12. backbore

Mar 6, 2003
    I've got some .22short subsonic sitting around but let me guess. There's plenty of that stuff available.
  13. Pawatch

Jan 11, 2013
    Local Dicks had a few bricks 22LR today for 24.99 thunderbolt. Some Remington 223 50 box 23.99.
    Didn't buy the 22LR.
  14. JackMac

Mar 13, 2011
    It aint gona get better. This is the governments way to indirectly control guns. Take away the ammo and your gun is no longer useful for its intended purpose. Gosh, I hope I'm wrong. I remember when I could buy 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 at a store off base at Fort Bragg for just over $99. That was 15 years or so ago.
  15. BobPistol

May 19, 2013
    I'm thinking the BATFE and customs paperwork are a nightmare, so that's what is keeping them out.
  16. Man thought I hit the jackpot today at the local WM. Went in saw quite a few boxes in the shelves and a carton in the .22 slot of CCI's! Got closer and noticed it was CCI short CB's and then I was just :( Then I took a closer look at what they had very strange selection lol...tons of .380 in various brands, some .357 sig id never even seen that in before at this WM when you COULD get ammo, Tula AK ammo, and a bunch of .32 ammo..that was it...walked away empty handed....and this was not just a box or 2 this was ALL over 10 boxes some even more.
  17. Kwesi

Sep 23, 2006
    I stopped in two local Wal-Mart stores this evening and both had lots of 22LR that arrived today:
    Win M-22 / 4 boxes of 1,000 each
    Fed AutoMatch / 24 boxes of 325
    CCI Mini Mags / 18 bx of 100

Several cases of 9mm Win 100 round value packs and 40 S&W!

I picked up 3 of the AutoMatch and 3 Mini Mags. Keep checking guys as it is slowly trickling in.
  18. unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    Ammo of all calibers is in short supply and since so many AR owners have .22lr conversions that caliber will probably be hard to find along with other popular handgun/rifle calibers.

I have noticed that Wal-Mart is getting more .22lr ammo in lately, or I just happen to call at the right time. It's been a mixture of cheap lead round nose, value pack lead round nose, and the better stuff like CCI 40-grain MiniMag plated round nose.

In the past two months I have been able to find enough ammo to shoot a couple hundred rounds each week and currently have 2300 rounds of mostly premium ammo. I'm saving the good plated ammo because it shoots so well in my semi-auto rifle as well as my Ruger Mark II.

The cheap lead round nose is either ok (with some failures) or absolute junk (not strong enough to cycle the bolt). I'll shoot up the rest of my cheap lead ammo in the next outing or two. There are some cheap lead RN ammos that shoot just fine but I've recently read that the lead can build up in the barrel so I want to avoid that. From now on I am looking for cheap plated bulk pack hollow point only.

Question for .22lr hunters: Are CCI Stinger, Velocitor, and 36-grain MiniMag hollow point ammos better for eliminating armadillos than the CCI 40-grain plated round nose MiniMag?
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
  19. One thing that hasn't helped general supply of .22lr is that CCI and federal have held back 20 million rounds of .22lr for boy scouts and other junior shooting programs.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
  20. X-ray 4N6

X-ray 4N6

May 18, 2006
    London (ex SA)
    Can you guys at least get imported ammo? (Eley, RWS, etc)