close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

When is this .22 lr craze going to end?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Cole125, May 8, 2013.

1. Cole125

Cole125
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

I am getting sick and tired of not being able to buy .22 lr ammo. Why is it taking so darn long for manufacteres to catch up with demand? :faint:

Anyone have a crystal ball or know something I don't? :dunno:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. dougader

dougader
    Expand Collapse

No idea. Maybe when scalpers are unable to get paranoid buyers to agree to ridiculous prices.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. samurairabbi

samurairabbi
    Expand Collapse
    Dungeon Schmuck

I predict this situation wiil last until September. The summer weather will keep demand pumped up; when the schools get back in session, that will take the cutting edge off the .22 demand.

Ammo producers are running their lines round the clock. It is civilian demand that drives the shortage, not lack of current production.

4. ditto1958

ditto1958
    Expand Collapse

You probably will not like this answer, but the manufacturers will not catch up to the demand. The only thing that will end this is when people become tired of it not being readily available and move on to something else.

Meanwhile, although I get skewered for this every time I say it, I know I speak the truth, so here goes. This shortage would have been over already, if retailers had only allowed supply and demand to work.

When stores do get ammo, they sell it all immediately for pretty close to the same price they were charging back in November. $25 for a brick of 22LR may be more than it cost back in 2010, but even at $25 its not gonna break most folks. So, when you are lucky enough to see it, you buy as much as they will let you have.

It's going to take a long time for ammo to be readily available again. Why? Well, I can really only speak for me, but I suspect I'm not alone. When 22LR does start to show up more often, I'm going to buy more than I need. I'm going to buy a brick to shoot, and a brick to store. I will likely do that with 9mm and 40, too. I don't want to be stuck without ammo to shoot the next time this happens. I'm sure a lot of folks feel the same way.

5. ken grant

ken grant
    Expand Collapse

Heck!!!! I can't find .22 ammo anywhere.
    Most places won't even take backorders.

6. dwhite53

dwhite53
    Expand Collapse

I expect .22LR being the least profitable of ammo produced.

When you're seeing fair supplies of 9mm, .223, .38 Special,
    you'll see .22LR starting to come back.

No need to make the cheap stuff when you can't keep
    up with the demand for the expensive stuff.

Be a very lucrative business to set-up now making 22LR
    only.

All the Best,
    D. White

7. ditto1958

ditto1958
    Expand Collapse

Got an LGS that's any good? That's how I get mine.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. WE0H

WE0H
    Expand Collapse

I've been shooting 22 short in my revolvers as LR is non-existent where I travel :(

Mike

9. ScottieG59

ScottieG59
    Expand Collapse

Over the past few weeks, I have bought thousands of 22 LR. It sells out very quickly. Sometimes, it will only be available for 45 seconds or so. You have to be fast and at the ready, with your account info already in the system.

People are still hording ammo. It will not slow down until people run out of room and money.

10. ohio mossy oak

ohio mossy oak
    Expand Collapse

Yep!!...My local larger LGS/outdoor store got some 22lr in to start the month..Limit 1 box of 525 per customer 32$(per day I assume)..I figure they will get more to start off June's sales flyers..They have been keeping 50rd of WWB .40S&W FMJ in stock(23$ with tax) an American Eagle 100rd for about 45$ with tax in the same caliber...It could be worse I guess:cool:

11. ETNSHOOTER

ETNSHOOTER
    Expand Collapse

Here is my story. I know a guy that works midnights and stops at the local WM every morning and gets in line. Example..... 15 people in line (he's 3rd) they get in 12 325 bulk boxes of fed. Champ. . Your allowed 3 boxes max. So the first 4 guys get the ammo and the rest walk away. That is why would will not find 22 ammo on the shelf. If thats all thats trickling in and people are lined up, the rest of us are screwed. Oh yeah, he then takes it to work and resells it. Norhing wrong with that, jusy kinda s##ks

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. matt_n03

matt_n03
    Expand Collapse

Dick's Sporting Goods had Winchester 333 packs in stock at my local store today, still cheap too. 17.99, no price gouging.

13. GSSF17

GSSF17
    Expand Collapse
    ...2 of 'em

That is awesome. Hope some shows up around here.....

14. Hedo1

Hedo1
    Expand Collapse

I bought a 500 pack of Remington last week at Dicks. They had about 100 bricks. 1 per customer. IIRC it was $23.

Last night I got a product notification from Midway for a 1000 box of M22 ammo. It was $48.00. I bought it right away. It was gone within 10 minutes. The supply is starting to loosen up a bit.

I won't buy any .22 for awhile. I was just replenishing what I've shot so far this year.

15. ditto1958

ditto1958
    Expand Collapse

Yes, but the problem with 22LR is that many of us shoot much more than 1500 in 5 months. Prior to the beginning of this year, I shot about 500 a week. I would often see guys in Academy who were going to take their kids out to shoot buy out the whole shelf of whatever was on sale that day.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

16. sublime

sublime
    Expand Collapse

I've been lucky and scored a couple bricks of .22lr at WM and Academy in the last few weeks.

My question is will any foreign manufacturer step up and produce bulk, cheap .22lr? I see Tula 9mm, 45 ACP, 7.62 and 5.56 in stock every week at my local WM. My perception is that the Russian and other manufacturers are able to produce more at this point.

17. Cole125

Cole125
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

I was thinking the same thing, some big time foreign ammo manufacturer needs to step in and crank out tons of cheap bulk .22 lr ammo. There is a lot of money to be made there!

I was thinking Tula too because I am sure they have money to invest in the machinery(or already have it) to produce boat loads(literally) of .22 lr ammo.

#17 Cole125, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
  18. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

January 21st 2017.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

19. Kichigai

Kichigai
    Expand Collapse
    気違い Was Mr30s

This will not end until govt backs off on gun control. So another 4 years or so:faint:

20. bucky_925

bucky_925
    Expand Collapse

Not 22 but I scored 200 rounds of WWWB 40 S&W at wal-mart today. Happy happy

#20 bucky_925, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013