close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

When did Walmart start asking for ID to buy ammo?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by HexHead, May 14, 2011.

1. HexHead

HexHead

Jul 16, 2009
    Stopped in today to get some 9mm, and the clerk insisted I show ID. I was pretty put off by that.

Then the woman at the door wanted to see my receipt, I barked at her "This is Walmart not Sam's, I'm not showing you ****" and just kept on walking.

2. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

Feb 25, 2002
    USofA!
    They've always been supposed to be doing that. Anytime handgun ammo is bought.

3. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    Be nice to old people.

4. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 GTDS Platinum Member

So stop shopping there.:dunno:

5. If I'm not mistaken Bloomberg had a hand in that, he simply asked them to do it and they complied.

6. HexHead

HexHead

Jul 16, 2009
    Is it a Walmart rule or some new BATFE BS?
    I've been buying ammo there for years and never been asked that before. Not like you could possibly mistake me for under 21.

I know here in TN they do that for beer in the supermarkets, but I've never been asked for ID anywhere to buy ammo before.

7. pipedreams

pipedreams Member

Feb 19, 2011
    S. E. Iowa
    Must be a local thing. I purchased ammo from our local store last week and all they ask was I a resident of the state. The store has a lot of out of state shoppers is the only reason they ask that. They always double bag the purchase and place the receipt in the bag.

8. HexHead

HexHead

Jul 16, 2009
    She was no older than me. :rofl:

9. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    :upeyes:

10. Z1232K

Z1232K Heavy Hauler CLM

May 8, 2008
    SE MI.
    Wait, the clerk checked your ID, which is something he is supposed to do....

....so you cussed at the woman, (also doing her job), on the way out the front door?

Classy:upeyes:

11. cruisermedic

cruisermedic

Oct 25, 2010
    My guess is that they have been caught selling to under age buyers. My local has never asked to my ID. Maybe a new person just setting a habit, if they ask for all id then they won't forget to ask when the buyer is under age.

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Seems a bit rude to me, of course no one asked me. At the Walmarts near here when the ammunition is scanned, the register asks the employee to verify the purchasers age as over 21. Oddly, or perhaps not, they never ask me. Coincidentally, or perhaps not, the last time I was "carded" at a bar I think Carter was still in office. Sigh.

13. SIUC4

SIUC4 Glockness

Apr 16, 2009
    Houston
    Being an a hole to people at wal-mart...your cool

14. Glock_Wenc_21

Glock_Wenc_21 DA BEARS!

May 14, 2008
  15. gbhamm2

gbhamm2

Jun 7, 2010
    Kentucky
    You have to be over 21 to buy handgun ammo...

16. whitebread

whitebread ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nov 29, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I have never once been asked to show ID when buying ammo.

17. I have to show ID anytime I purchase ammo just the joys of a FOID card.

18. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    This is why they ask you what type of gun the ammo is for. If you say a handgun the next question is are you over 21.

Instead of being a A-Hole to people that are just trying to make a living by doing what they are told to do, call Wal Mart headquarters and cuss them out.

19. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

Jan 16, 2010
    I don't have to show ID for ammo at the Walmart I buy from (which is across the river in PA, Jersey doesn't walmart ammo) BUT when buying ammo in NJ, you actually have to show your FID card and they (EVERYONE) records your info and what you're buying. And recently they're asking for your license to verify your FID card for recording purposes. It's ridiculous but it's the law I guess.

20. G19Paul

G19Paul

Mar 10, 2009
    Same for me today at WallyWorld here in GA. Bought 300 rounds (9mm) and was asked to show ID. They have a sign up on one of the ammo cabinet doors. Didn't get asked to show my receipt on the way out.

There are several stores asking to show receipts now. I try NOT to comply like the rest of the sheep do. I tell them to get a manager and to show probable cause that I didn't pay for what's in my bag. I always get told to have a nice day. Think about it sheep! You are giving up your 4th amendment rights without even blinking. Really?

They hear my opinion for sure, and then I try to find a different store the next time.