close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

When and if to pull...

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by DeltaBravo, Mar 19, 2010.

1. DeltaBravo

DeltaBravo

Dec 16, 2009
    The South
    Situation:

Getting gas at a gas station on I-24 in Tennesee. 22yr old male exits vehicle and begins pumping. Individual is a CCW holder and returns nozzle to pump then goes inside with young female passenger to use the facilities and buy a drink for both. Upon return to vehicle young man notices a domestic dispute near a car on the other side of the lot. Older man appears to be drunk and beating woman with him. First instinct is to call 911 and report situation but not hanging up. It is observed that the man is not stopping the assault. Concerned for the woman's safety you tell the young woman with you to stay in the vehicle and stay on the phone with the police. She locks the doors. Young man stays near vehicle and issues verbal command to cease and that the police have been notified and are on the way. Enraged the older man starts to walk toward you when you notice a hand reach to the small of his back. You immediately start making side steps to draw attention away from your vehicle and other pedestrians. You yell for the man to stop where he is to no avail. As he advances further and is issuing verbal threats you begin to reach for (but not pull) your concealed weapon. The man is not stopping. He draws a weapon and begins to sight you in. At this point what would the consensus be? You are clear of other people and vehicles, the police have not arrived yet. Are you cleared to open fire since you fear for your own personal safety and the man appears to be have the worst intent?

*Situation is hypothetical and yes most likely beaten to death. It is intended to see what the consensus is among good hearted, common sensed, civilian sheep dogs*

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010

2. DeltaBravo

DeltaBravo

Dec 16, 2009
    The South
    Because you initiated your own involvement in the situation, thereby inviting trouble. Just a thought

3. GRR

GRR

Dec 29, 2004
    Bessemer, AL
    So, you let the guy shoot you?

4. degoodman

degoodman Out of Columbus

Jun 7, 2004
    Marysville, OH
    There's a pattern emerging here. I pray I'm wrong.

Lesson #1, stay the hell out of domestics. I got in the middle of one once. Unless a gun comes out or someone loses consciousness and the beating continues, it won't happen again.

#2, and far more critical, if you're asking if its appropriate to draw and engage an individual who is raising a firearm to engage you, you have no business carrying a concealed firearm in the first place, because you are not mentally prepared to deploy it effectively. It is time to seek training out from a real live human who is qualified to teach defensive tactics, and take a class from them before strapping on a firearm again.

This is not meant to be personal, but you've got a whopping 24 posts here, yet you've squarely zeroed in two of the situations that are known to stir the pot really bad, really fast, and you've done in within a few minutes in consecutive posts. That's probably not a good idea if you want people to respond civilly. Just a fair piece of advice.

5. DeltaBravo

DeltaBravo

Dec 16, 2009
    The South
    Never said that. Just speculating. We're it I, I would most likely not involve myself past calling the police. Only if he initiated offensive action in my direction would I consider escalation of force. And to add something I left out, yes I would defend myself. When I asked if you are cleared, I simply meant are you legally protected since it WAS YOU who stepped into an already bad situation. I would venture a guess no.

6. Kona

Kona

Mar 22, 2009
    Shoot him. This is simple. He is pointing a gun at you.

7. DeltaBravo

DeltaBravo

Dec 16, 2009
    The South
    Fair enough. And good advice thus far. However, do not assume that 24 posts here indicates either inexperience or ignorance. First, this is not the only forum I frequent, it is simply the newest membership. Second, my whole purpose in asking these HYPOTHETICAL questions is to test the waters of a different group of individuals and see what the group dynamic/group think are. I am not fishing for answers I want to hear, nor am I looking to get off on a justifiable situation to engage. When it comes to firearms and carrying I demand nothing less than discernment and practical common sense (within legal boundaries). Satisfied?

8. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    In my opinion when he started advancing on you and not responding to your commands to stop you had every right to draw your weapon. He was acting aggressive and you had a legitimate fear for your safety. If he continued to advance and draw his own weapon you had every legal right to defend yourself.

Remember drawing your weapon is not the issue firing your weapon is the issue. Many times the simple act of bringing the gun out could diffuse the situation. Any man that still comes at you once your gun is out has nothing but bad intentions.

9. GRR

GRR

Dec 29, 2004
    Bessemer, AL
    Well DB, I don't think that hollering at a guy to stop beating a woman is the wrong thing to do. By your scenario the BG DID initiate offensive action by point a gun at you, which was certainly not justified because you were yelling at him.

10. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

Jul 3, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    **BANG BANG BANG** He's pointing a gun at you!!!

Oh, I forgot.
    If threat still exists, **BANG BANG BANG**

11. Matt Berry

Matt Berry

Dec 4, 2007
    First mistake was not drawing prior to him pulling his weapon. You should have already had pistol out and ready as soon as he stopped responding to commands and coming after you. The other act of reaching with his hands for a possible weapon is enough justification to say you were in fear for your life and the threat needed to be stopped.

12. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Waco, Texas
    If he's just beating the woman and not using the gun, call 911 and be a good witness. Take some pictures but do not get involved unless it spills over.

For the second part, once he starts drawing, so am I.

13. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

Oct 16, 2007
    I can't sit by and watch a lady get hit by a man, which may constitute a disparity of force, this is no longer a dispute, it's now an assault. Still, he draws to me, he gets shot.

14. Plus 1. Why so many folks are so eager to personally get themselves involved in so many things that they really should stay out of is beyond me.

15. shnifty

shnifty

Nov 25, 2009
    1. I would decide to get involved depending on how hard he was hitting her. If it looks like they are going to be legitimately injured, I would intervene.

2. If I did in fact intervene, I would probably already have my gun ready and moved into a coat pocket or at least be mentally prepared to draw as fast as possible. I did not physically threaten him so he had no right to charge towards me or draw a weapon. That means that he's the one being offensive and I would have to defend myself.

16. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

Feb 27, 2000
    TX
    I think it is very amusing that the post was a projective psychological test to see how nutty Glock Talk members are.

Next time can we have ink blots? Doc, I see someone with a 1911 intervening in an alien attack.

17. degoodman

degoodman Out of Columbus

Jun 7, 2004
    Marysville, OH
    Good enough for me. And now I'll pull out the "Why" on whether or not I'll involve myself in a domestic ever again unless I think someone is about to die.

I fortunately found the post from a few years back so I don't have to retype much. From the thread http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904871

The presented hypothetical is already well past that point. The BG is approaching you, and you've mentioned a hand to the small of the back. Given the whole "totality of circumstances," he's probably not looking to give you a business card from his wallet, so in addition to movement to cover or to create distance, I would definitely get a hand on my weapon, if not draw it depending on the statutes in play where you are. In Ohio, and based on my training including some provided by certified LE Instructors in Ohio, I would have a firearm in hand at that point. Furtive movements is a subject of broad debate, and alone probably do not justify a use of lethal force, but drawing a firearm as a preparatory response is NOT a use of deadly force. Know if that is the case in your jurisdiction before you act.

When he went on to produce a weapon and further began to raise it in my direction, lethal force would be applied until that threat is removed. As far as specific tactics to deploy, we need to keep in mind it is more important to not get shot than it is to shoot, so if I wasn't already behind cover, I'm thinking to haul the mail to get to some, etc., but you are definitely in a lethal force encounter and need to be responding accordingly. All of the critical elements of the AOJ triangle have been met, and he has further committed overt acts that indicate his intention to visit great bodliy injury or death on you. If this isn't the time to initiate a lethal force response, I don't know what is.

18. DeltaBravo

DeltaBravo

Dec 16, 2009
    The South
    Roger that. Very good read. Thanks

19. DeltaBravo

DeltaBravo

Dec 16, 2009
    The South
    You said nutty. Not me. In fact, you are the first to apply that label that I have yet seen. Different forums, different patrons, different cultures. Since when is it odd to pose a question and simply listen?