close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Whats your snake gun?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by chevy01234, May 2, 2005.

1. chevy01234

chevy01234

Jul 19, 2004
    mississippi
    I was wondering what everyone on here uses for a snake gun? I am not looking for dont kill the snake speeches and no I dont eat them. I use a browning buckmark with cci mini mags when fishing around the pond and when in the boat either the pistol or a little youth model 20 gauge with number 8 birdshot in it. So what do yall use?

2. Only thing I've ever used to kill snakes was a shovel.

3. chevy01234

chevy01234

Jul 19, 2004
    mississippi
    Thanks for your input, I figured there'd be a little more feedback than this I guess many people dont think about snakes or there not saying anything.

4. Greybeard

Greybeard

Dec 26, 2002
    North Texas
    If intentionally stalking water mocs, its a shotgun with birdshot.

When hunting other critters, I generally also carry some type of handgun. CCI shot loads (.38 thru .45) often handy to finish off wounded birds - or available as needed for rattlers.

5. any shotgun with any bird shot load or a gun with ashotshell load or just a plain big stick or garden hoe works wonders on most snakes.

Now If I had a jungle filled with pythons or anaconda, I would opt for the shotgun.;)

6. Chevy01234,

I don't prepare for snakes. I carry a GLOCK 36 loaded with Corbon Powrball. It's a general purpose round to defend my life. If I needed to shoot a snake it is most likely what I would have on my person and what I would use.

The couple of times I've had snakes that needed killing in my yard I used a shovel. I live in suburban Northern Virginia, but am one yard away from a nature park area. In 17 years of living here I've twice had small copperheads in the yard.

If I had a larger property and was often finding poisonous snakes on it I'd either carry a .22 pistol or maybe my TC Contender with it's .45 Colt/.410 barrel installed and a 2 1/2" #9 shell in it.

7. chevy01234

chevy01234

Jul 19, 2004
    mississippi
    vafish,
    Im not talking about carrying the pistol 24-7 just for snakes. Im talking about when your fishing, canoeing, hiking, or just walking around the farm. My family owns about 8,000 acres of farmland and we ride fourwheelers on it a good bit, Ill carry my little buckmark in case I come across a snake. I am getting a 2" rossi .357 this weekend so ill start loading it up with some snake shot for those rides or walks. Maybe a couple of hollowpoints stuck in there for dogs and other critters that need to be taken care of.

8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002
    chevy01234,

OK Hoss, here ya go.

A .22 pistol with snake shot will work, 'but kinda light duty' (for me), next step up, (for me), a little ruger SP101, or S&W model 60, in 357mag, drop some 'shot shells' in there, and you will 'part their hair big time.'

I have grown up around rattlers, we have more on our ranch than any other ranch in the county, we don't worry about them #1, BUT, we do kill them #2! ;)

I usually have on a Ruger Vaquero in 44, or 45. BUT 'your' talking a different story 'here,' than what 'your activities,' are. We also have some Humongous mountain lions and other critters around here as well. Again, we don't worry about them either, but if one 'needs to go down,' rather than a 'calf' etc, down he goes.

So, again, the above mentioned SP101, works great, for the snakes, and if ever needed, the two legged snakes as well... ;f

And yes, i own one, and have killed a good many rattlers out here with it, so i know it works. :)

PS.. The little 2" barrel, with the bobbed hammer is a good bet for your packing around needs...

Just my suggestion to ya!

CanyonMan

9. chevy01234

chevy01234

Jul 19, 2004
    mississippi
    Thanks for the reply CanyonMan Im glad we dont have too many rattlers around my place but we have plenty of cottonmouths and copperheads. I am getting that little rossi just for snake shot cause I was not impressed with the .22 shotshells. We fish alot and run trotlines so we see cottonmouths pretty frequently. I am all for king snakes and other non-venomous snakes but when I see ones that chase the boat they will die.

10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002
    Sorry man, i didn't even see your post about the Rossi! ;f
    Snakes that chase me? NO! Some of our 'sidewinders will chase, but not the diamondbacks'. I'll stay in the western plains. ;)

Have Fun.

CanyonMan

11. das028

das028

Apr 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Snakes that chase You? I doubt it buddy.

12. chevy01234

chevy01234

Jul 19, 2004
    mississippi
    Have you ever pissed off a Water moccasin? They will chase you, BUDDY, I promise. Cottonmouths are some of the most aggressive snakes out there. Your in Maryland, Do ya'll even have cottonmouths? Thanks for the reply to the post but please keep your uneducated smart ass comments to yourself. They are not needed or appreciated. I will not say anything else about this. Have a good day.

13. das028

das028

Apr 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Yeah we do have cottonmouths here in MD, and I can safely say I have never had one chase me.

14. chevy01234

chevy01234

Jul 19, 2004
    mississippi
    Im glad you've never been chased by one and hope you never are. A cottonmouth will stop in the middle of the water and raise its head up about a foot and show you his white mouth trying to make you back down. They will also chase you if they are not happy and think they can bluff you down. I will not sit here and try to convince you anymore. Im just telling you they will, you can believe it or not.

15. das028

das028

Apr 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Thought you were not going to say anything more about this.

16. chevy01234

chevy01234

Jul 19, 2004
    mississippi
    I was trying to help educate you but O well. I guess some people just cant get over thier smart ass ways. You came in here looking for a pissing match. Have a good day son. Im sure your a little yankee boy who has no experience whatsoever in the woods and your going by what youve heard on animal planet. Take care.

17. das028

das028

Apr 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Yankee boy, Ouch!. Hey what do you cal a yankee boy thats down south visiting for a couple weeks?

BOSS

18. tjpet

tjpet

May 14, 2001
    Utah-Idaho border
    Charter Arms .44Special Bulldog w/shotshells. Takes the head right off out to about 7ft.

19. chevy01234

chevy01234

Jul 19, 2004
    mississippi
    Thats pretty funny. How old are you again? Goodbye little Yankee Boy you just made my Ignore list happy.

20. chevy01234

chevy01234

Jul 19, 2004
    mississippi
    Thanks tjpet those are the kind of answers im looking for. Have a Good Day.