close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What's your favorite tactical light?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by dgposton, May 10, 2009.

1. dgposton

dgposton

Feb 27, 2009
    I've been wanting a light to mount on my G19 for home defense for a while now.

My criteria:
    -lightweight
    -bright (LED seems to be the way to go, right?)
    -not too expensive

Right now, it looks like the streamlight TRL-1 seems to be the best that fit my criteria. Seems to be going for around $100 on ebay.

What's your pick?

2. OD GASTON

OD GASTON 05' RUBICON

Jan 11, 2007
    Arkansas

3. Glocker08

Glocker08

Sep 22, 2008
  4. +TSUNAMI+

+TSUNAMI+

Apr 14, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
  5. Glockster_James

Glockster_James Man W/ A Badge

Nov 26, 2002
    Aberdeen, WA
    Streamlight TLR-1 ~$100
    Insight Procryon ~$150
    Surefire X300 ~$200

Don't have hands on experience with the Streamlight TLR-1 but its a good value for what everyone says about it. But I do love my X300 and Procyon.

6. legion3

legion3

Mar 31, 2000
    Parrish FL
    + 2.

The TLR - 1 superb value. We had a chance in my department to test several out and the TLR-1 was as good as any, and the cost was great.

7. ragu1macrider

ragu1macrider Deceased

Aug 12, 2008
    SW Pennsylvania
    :agree:

8. plok

plok Newbie Glocker

May 4, 2009
    What about a laser light combo money not a worry???

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  9. Glockster_James

Nov 26, 2002
    Aberdeen, WA
    Sure you can...wait a few years...they'll have somethin smaller and brighter. ;)

10. Glockster_James

Nov 26, 2002
    Aberdeen, WA
    TLR-2....X400 seems to be having some issues still.

Personally, I don't like the laser that far under the barrel therefore I'd suggest either Lasermax guide rod laser or Crimson Trace laser grips along with the earlier mentioned lights.

11. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

Aug 21, 2006
    Just OK
    TLR-1. Not a fan of lasers. If it's dark and you illuminate your target that's pretty much where you are going to hit. No laser needed for me for home defense.

12. jtaliani

jtaliani CLM

Jan 5, 2008
    Steubenville, OH
    I cast my vote for the Insight Procyon. Great all around light.

13. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Dec 2, 2005
    1) Very Best: SureFire X300

2) Next Best: Insight XTI Procyon

3) Best Value: Streamlight TLR-1 C4

1) The X300 is the most hardened of the three, with great switch options available. Performance is pure SureFire! Best overall quality.

2) The Procyon runs a very close second, at $100.00 less. Like the X300, the unit is hardened for professional, even battlefield use! Great performance! Includes a cool strobe function, to confuse intruders.

3) The TLR-1 C4 does not appear to be hardened like the other two lights, but will serve fine for bedside use. Do get the C4 version, and you can get it for $100.00 from a reputable dealer. A really nice light at a bargain price!

The X300 and Procyon will light an entire room, and I'd expect the same from the TLR-1 C4.

--Ray

14. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Dec 2, 2005

I'm with James on this, in that I prefer separate, redundant systems. This philosophy increases reliability.

Combine a quality weapon light with a LaserMax guide rod laser, Uni-Max, Uni-Green, or Sabre, and you've got it covered.

As James mentioned, there's also the parallax problem with mounting the laser so far from the gun's bore axis--you end up with a sweet spot, where laser and bullet converge.

Still, many report good things about the TLR-2, which is a TLR-1 with a laser.

If I were to try a light/laser combo, it would be the Viridian X5L:

http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=48

--Ray

15. MudTerrain

MudTerrain Batman w/ Guns

Dec 31, 2008
    Iowa
  16. I had the Procyon for a bit but didn't like it (didn't really think I needed a strobe function on a handgun).

I ended up buying the TLR-1 C4.

Personally, I prefer the mounting system on the TLR setup. It's not going to come off. One of my coworkers has the Procyon, and during one of our SWAT trainings, he must've pushed on the release lever when unholstering because when he went to fire, the light popped off.

When I installed it for him, I made sure the use the correct bar on it, but it's still susceptible to being pushed off. With the TLR mounts, you mount it, and tighten it down. It's not easy on easy off.

For lasers, the only laser our dept. authorizes is the internal Lasermax. For tac lights, it's whatever we want because it's our money and we have to buy our own holster also.

17. plok

plok Newbie Glocker

May 4, 2009
    My neighbor has a lasermax and it is about 1in. off target is this a normal thing? I have an M3 tactical light and am not impressed at all. I want brighter and a laser. Does anyone have the Glock lights?? are these any good?

18. Kyle E. Coyote

Kyle E. Coyote Super Genius

Aug 13, 2008
    Cleveland, Ohio
    You're absolutely right, in ten years they'll have the X-900... weighs half an ounce, you never have to replace the bulb or batteries, and it's bright enough to cause your opponent to burst into flames.