close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What's your favorite brand of .22?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by betes, Aug 1, 2010.

1. betes

betes

Oct 8, 2006
    Midwest
    The local Walmart has a ton of different .22 brands to choose from, including Remington, Federal, CCI, Winchester, etc. What do you guys like? I want something that shoots clean, doesn't stick in the cylinder, and preferably is available in bulk boxes. What do you guys say?

A recommendation for LR and one for mag would be good. I shoot LR a lot more but do occasionally shoot .22 mag.

2. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    CCI mini-mags for my scoped bolt action rifles.

Winchester bulk pack for plinking with semi autos and pistols.

Some semi autos have trouble feeding bulk pack ammo, the CCI's usually improve reliability in those guns.

I have zero experience with .22WMR, never shot or owned one.

3. S9Man

S9Man

Feb 15, 2005
    Farm country
    CCI mini mags are the best. For plinking I like the bulk Federal. Today at Walmart I purchased 3 bulkpacks: A federal 550, a Remington 550 and a Winchester 555. The Fed & Rem were $18.97, the Win was $19.47. I'm going to do some testing on the ammo, but past experience would lean me to rate them Fed #1, Win #2 & Rem #3.

4. ranger1968

ranger1968

Mar 23, 2009
    CCI Minimags if I am spending the money.....for the bulk stuff, I like the Federal in the maroon colored box, or the Winchester in the red box, both work well in all my .22's......

5. UnTainted

UnTainted

May 8, 2007
    Idaho
    For my 22 handguns I love the CCI stinger. For the rifles I totally heart the velocitors from CCI. It burns clean and is very accurate ammo both

6. rome2240sw

rome2240sw GLOCKIN4LIFE

Jun 5, 2010
    columbia, SC
    for plinking and setting sights with my Winchester model 67 i use winchester or federal ball ammo that comeis in the 550/555 round boxes. For squirrel, rabbit and varmit shooting winchester makes a good 35gr hollow point that i find to be very effective. Also i believe remington makes a great subsonic round which i currently have on hand now. Its very effective and i generaly get one shot kills when it comes to the squirrels and rabbits.

7. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    For cheap range fun I like the Federal 550-round bulk packs.

For the better quality ammo I like CCI MiniMag, Stinger, and Velocitor.

8. My 10/22 feeds the Federal bulk pack just fine, and Wally World usually has it.

9. betes

betes

Oct 8, 2006
    Midwest
    Cool, thanks for the recommendations. I picked up a box of Federal 550 to put through my Mini Master. Can't wait to get back to the range.

10. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    I like the Federal 550-round bulk packs. They function just fine in all my 22's.

11. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

Personally I like the CCI Blazer for plinking. It functions just fine in my GSG-5 and Ruger MKII. I was lucky enough to be able to buy a brick for $17 + change, so I stocked up and have a case of it now.

I also like the CCI Stinger and Remington's Yellow Jacket HP load.

12. rome2240sw

rome2240sw GLOCKIN4LIFE

Jun 5, 2010
    columbia, SC
    I find the CCI mini mag to be very effetive on small game like birds, squirrels, and rabbits. just my .02 cents

13. f150man

f150man

Jun 29, 2010
    Heck, this is easy..........Go to WM and buy a box of everything and see what your gun(s) like the best.

Myself I perferr the Fed Champion in the 50rd boxes.

J

14. I'd rate CCI first, Winchester second. Federal is cheap and OK for plinking but gets more duds. The Remington stuff just seams dirtier to me.

15. at_liberty

at_liberty

Jun 19, 2010
    Upstate SC
    I bought the Remington 333 in a ten box case (3330 rounds). I believe those 333 rounds loose pack boxes would be what you refer to as "bulk". The full case of 3330 is a cost savings. I find they work very well as one round that is copper jacketed so I can shoot indoors (no-lead rule), and the round has enough pizzazz to run my heavy slide on the Browning Buckmark. I don't get many but experience enough dud rounds that I don't use the ammo for matches.

Match reliability I find in CCI Mini Mags. When I couldn't find any for a time, nor could the range store, I shot Remington Yellow Jackets and found them completely satisfactory.

It has been another lifetime since I shot magnums, but I would suggest that you would get what you paid for in that specialty round. Get the more expensive stuff, unless you can find a good report on something cheaper.

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about clean or dirty. I am going to clean my gun anyway.

16. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Jul 13, 2003
    Canada
  17. Blast

Blast 'nuff said

Aug 2, 2002
    NKY/Cincinnati area
    CCI Velocitors, Stingers, and Mini-mags.

18. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

Mar 26, 2001
    greentown ind.
    Remmington bulk for my ciener glock. Federal bulk for everthing else. sure others might be more accurate, but i like to shoot a lot, and these two are accurate enough.

19. 8th SPS USAF

8th SPS USAF

Apr 28, 2007
    Indiana
    CCI Blazer works great out of my Sig 220 Conv. Fed Lightining sucks IMO.
    Lots of light recoil, not working the slide, some Booms.

8th

20. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    CCI Mini Mags (and stingers and velocitors) are the best I have used. Not nearly as cheap as the bulk stuff though.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010