close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What's your DSLR setup?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by havensal, Apr 18, 2008.

1. havensal

havensal Nozzle Jockey CLM

Aug 14, 2003
    Western, NY
    I think we used to have a thread like this here, but I don't see it anymore. :dunno:

Anyways, I am looking to dive into the DSLR world. I prefer to look before I leap. :cool:

What are you using?
    Why did you choose that particular model?
    What's you no BS assessment?
    Pro's, Con's, things you would like it to do (or not) that it doesn't (or does)?

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    I went with Canon. It came down to liking the size and the weight of the XT over
    Nikon's offerings when I was shopping. You won't go wrong with either system though.
    If you already have lenses you like, you really need to consider that when comparing.

Canon Rebel XT

Lenses:

Canon:
    18-55 kit lens
    85 1.8 USM
    50 1.8 II
    70-200 4L IS USM

Sigma:
    24-60 2.8
    50 2.8 macro

Lensbaby and macro kit

Hoya IR filter

I also have a FD to EOS adapter so I can use my FD glass, primarily the 50 1.4.

The only thing I would like to change about the XT is to be able to see the ISO when looking through the viewfinder.

Oh, and I wish I had gotten into this sooner. :supergrin:

3. wbw2

wbw2 Train-man

Apr 13, 2008
    martinsburg, wv
    I bought the rebel xti, because of the price point at 10megs.

plus, I already have a few 35mm canon lenses from my eos rebel.

I have big hands, so I got the canon battery pack because it fills the hand nicely and I love the controls so you can shoot vertically.

the rebel xti has more features than I can name, but I really like the "raw" image files it takes, you can change almost any exposure aspect you want(from your computer) after the pic is taken, then save as mpeg, jpeg, etc...

I have been able to make a few pics 10x better by editing things like AV+/-, ISO, etc.

4. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

May 7, 2000
    Carlisle, PA
    I chose Canon over Nikon for no real reason. I like the features of both of both but had to make a choice.

I chose the Rebel XT mostly for economical reasons and stumbled in to a real gem. At only 8 meg, it still has many of the features and control of the pro DSLRs without being over-bearing with options and settings. IMHO, it is, by far, the BEST entry-level DSLR. Match it with good glass that meets your needs. Learn how to use the XT and glass and even a real pro would have to look hard to find fault with 11x14 prints.

My kit, at this time is:

Rebel XT 350D
    EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6
    EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM
    SanDisk Extreme III 4.0gb CF card
    RC-1 remote trigger
    Canon Tripod.

Very near future:
    Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC
    Canon 580EX II Speedlite TTL Shoe Mount Flash

Someday:

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
    And 2 weeks with the EF 1200mm lens misskitty recently bought from BH Photo :tongueout:

Of course this is all protected by a G-31 and Speer GoldDots:cool:

5. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Oct 3, 2002
    Wuss.

:whistling:

:outtahere:

:wavey:

:supergrin:

Try lugging this around the soccer fields for a few hours on a monopod.

[​IMG]

J/K, Budette. I would have added another smiley face, or two, but I'm not allowed.

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    Oh, how I would love to lug that around for a while. Birds, here I come! :supergrin:

<-- wuss with a messed up shoulder and rotator cuff :sad:

7. djf

djf

Jan 20, 2003
    Idaho
    D80 with some lenses

18-55mm F3.5-5.6
    18-200mm F3.5-5.6
    17-55mm F2.8
    50mm F1.4

8. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

May 16, 2006
    VA
    1D Mark II

100-400 f4.5-5.6 L
    24-70 f2.8 L
    85 f1.2 L

9. Ranger Grant

Ranger Grant

Feb 20, 2001
    wbw2,

I just left the Canon web site, where I was trying to find out if the 2 lens I have for my Canon Rebel (origional model) would be compatible with either the XSi, or XTi. It would appear that they are. I have an EF 35-80mm 1:4-5.6, and an EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6. If you can confirm that they in fact are compatible, I'd greatly appreciate it.:supergrin:

Any good, bad, or other comments would be of help too.:embarassed:

Thanks, Ranger Grant

10. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Oct 3, 2002
    But seriously, I shouldn't poke fun. Lugging that around is NOT fun. I have a small bruise on my left shoulder to prove it. I've added a piece of foam to my my vest to help with the problem. But it's still WIP (work in progress)

11. Jdog

Jdog

Sep 10, 2007
    wasatch range
    pentax dslr cause it was way cheaper and my old lenses fit it

12. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

May 16, 2006
    VA
    Any EF lens can be used on any body with the EF mount (the XSi and XTi are EF mounts). The EF-S mount can only be used on some bodies (1.6 sensors) since they protrude into the body more the smaller 1.6 sensor mirror will miss but the mirror from a larger sensor would hit the lens.

13. Halliday

Halliday

Jun 9, 2007
    Iowa
    All Canon:
    (What I currently own)

Cameras:
    5D (full frame and LOVE it!)
    20D
    10D
    A2 (film)

Lenses:
    16-35 2.8
    24-70 2.8
    70-200 2.8
    85 1.8
    50 1.8
    100 Macro 2.8
    28-105 3.4-4.5

I picked Canon because at the time in 1992 I didn't know if Nikon's even had autofocus. At the time and still now Canon seemed the more more technological company. I love the Ultrasonic lenses

14. ToddHibbs

ToddHibbs

Mar 27, 2008
    D70s, 18-200 VR
    2 sb800, 2 sb600
    cactus radio triggers (aka "poverty wizards")

couple stands, umbrellas, accessories.

really wanting a D300....

15. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

May 7, 2000
    Carlisle, PA
    Gonna have to hire an assistant for that trip MK

16. Ranger Grant

Ranger Grant

Feb 20, 2001
  17. medic1213

medic1213 TraumaHawk

Feb 20, 2000
    Rockingham, NC
    I'm shooting with a Nikon D80 with MB-D80 vertical grip, 18-200VR, 50 f/1.8, SB-600, and a Sunpak 383 as well as a couple stands and wireless triggers for the flashes for off camera use.

Took this photo the day I got the camera, before I installed the vertical grip.

[​IMG]

18. Curley

Curley

Jun 14, 2004
    DFW, Texas
    I just went through the agonizing process of deciding between the Canon Rebel XT and the Nikon D40. After handling both at stores and spending hours and hours researching and comparing, yesterday I ordered... the Nikon D40.

This was not an easy decision for me because I've always been a Canon guy. I have owned three Canon SLRs -- the Ftb, F-1 and A-1 -- and they've all been great.

There is no doubt that the Canon Rebel XT is more technologically advanced than the Nikon, but ultimately the decision came down to these factors:

1. The Nikon's 18-55 mm kit lens is superior to the 18-55 on the Canon -- at least according to every professional review I read -- in terms of build and image quality.

2. I also preferred Nikon's other lenses for this camera, which I'll probably add later, like the 55-200 mm VR and 18-200 mm VR (VR stands for Vibration Reduction, Nikon's version of image stabilization).

3. The Nikon is simpler to use. It's been simplified for people who are buying their first SLR, but it's also nice for people like me who have used SLRs before.

4. The Nikon has a cool Auto ISO setting. You can program the camera to automatically adjust the ISO setting, as long as it doesn't go below the minimum shutter speed you determine, like 1/30 of a second. Or you can select the maximum ISO you'd want to allow.

This may seem like a minor thing, but the Canon doesn't have it. You have to pick your ISO setting and stick with it until you change it, and I personally don't want to have to worry about that if I'm shooting in different light conditions. I'd rather let the camera worry about that.

Either camera is a fine choice, which is why the decision was so hard to make.

19. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Jun 3, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    You could buy XT body only, and then buy the 18-55 IS lens, which is far superior to the earlier offering. Naturally, that would increase the overall price slightly.

Disclaimer: I don't have a horse in this race, I am not rooting for either make.

20. Curley

Curley

Jun 14, 2004
    DFW, Texas
    Yes, I considered that. But the difference in price between the XT body only and the XT or D40 with the 18-55 lens is not that significant -- only about $50 or $60.

Plus, that 18-55 size is very handy, and I'll use it a lot, so I decided to go for the version I thought I'd be happier with.