close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Whats the worst mistake/accident you've had as a reloader?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by wrx04, Oct 27, 2010.

1. wrx04

wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    MI
    I've shot about 250 of my reloads now, and they have all worked flawlessly, with the exception of two weak loads that didnt cycle the gun fully. So far, so good.

I was wondering whats the worst thing you experienced guys have done (and heart attacks dont count!:tongueout:).....double charge/kaboom/lead poisoning/firing after a squib/etc...? Just curious.

I have heard of a couple guys getting lead poisoning, but not much besides that. Later.

2. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    I had a case rupture on a batch of test loads I was testing for work up on the chrono. I don't know if it was because of severe leading because the chrono results had a 150 fps or so spread. That was with a sub 950 fps load. Either way it was weird and a little disconcerting to see a flap like door on the base of one of my 9mm cases. For what it's worth I felt nothing when I fired the rounds. Clearly it was too much of a charge for that bullet combo.

3. AJE

AJE Grumpy Old Man

Apr 5, 2004
    SW Ohio
    Fortuneatly I haven't blown anything up. My mistakes so far have only worked to aggravate me.

1. Hit my chronograph. Self explanatory :steamed:

2. Loaded a bunch of different 10mm loads to test out over the chronograph. Had them spaced out in the plastic ammo boxes with a piece of paper describing which was which loading. Walked out the door, dropped them, and tossed every damn one of them out into the driveway. All in the same new brass, same premium quality bullets, testing different powder, charge, and primer combinations... in other words, no way to put them back in any sort of order.

It was then I learned to start marking each cartridge with a marker (1 mark for load A, 2 marks for load B, etc) prior to them leaving the bench. I took a good testing session opportunity and turned in to an expensive plinking session, wasting almost a full box of XTPs.

4. 1006

Aug 12, 2007
    Newnan, Georgia
    I had the frame of a USP Compact in 40 caliber destroyed when a case ruptured. I had to send it to HK for a frame, barrel, and extractor. I don't use Tightgroup in this gun anymore. My load was right out of the reloading book.

No one can be certain weather it was a double charge or a case of bullet set back. I always thought it was likely a double charge, but later a Law Officer shooting department issued factory ammo had one come apart in the same way.

5. Im not as "experienced" as most here but have loaded a few k rounds of .40 and 38/.357. I have had one squib, not sure how it was shorted powder, and a few sideways primers, no KB's. Knocked on wood

6. wrx04

wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    MI
    YIKES:wow: Did you get hurt?

And now for a dumb question....what is "bullet setback"? I've heard the term a million times, but i dont know what it means.

7. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Never tug on Superman's cape, never try to race a junk yard dog, never poke a bear with a stick, never try to push a heavy box up a set of stairs, and...

never have your face over a filled primer tube when testing the theory of 'sympathetic detonation'.

[​IMG]

Some of the dumber things shall remain unspoken of. :whistling:

Jack

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I dropped a box of bullets on my foot. ;)

Just kidding... I've been pretty lucky.. I've had some squibs.. but nothing catastrophic.

IGF

9. wrx04

wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    MI
    Jack, you had that accident reloading almost EXACTLY 10 years before i was born!!:wow: These ex-wives you speak of are probably old enough to be my grandma:tongueout:

10. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    Nothing serious yet, thank our great Lord above.

I did scare myself last year at the range - pulled the trigger on a 45 Gov't and smoke erupted from the still closed chamber. I waited the requisite 30 seconds, then some more. I didn't want a hangfire to decide it was time to get its act together while I was retrieving the round. Still leary, I finally racked the slide allowing the round to extract. Low and behold, the primer had been seated backwards!

After a few good chuckles to myself for what I had done, I gave the round to the RO to add to his collection. :cool:

11. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Sep 27, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I have had 4 squibs out of 12,000 reloads. :embarassed: Haven't had one in the last 3 months.

12. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO

Isn't there some kind of rule against these wise-ass young'uns being able to post on here?

And I saw your post about groups at 25 yards over on 1911... stay off the net and get out there and learn to shoot rookie, with one hand on your hind legs like a real man. It's simple it just takes practice... and practice and practice and practice...

It's so easy even a 'GRANDMA' can do it... can you? :supergrin:

Jack

13. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    I haven't had squib since I got rid of my Load Master.

14. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    Bullet setback - when the recoil of a fired round causes the bullet in other loaded rounds in your cylinder or magazine to become seated deeper inside their respective cases due to improper case tension.

The simple test to determine whether you have enough case tension on the bullet is to take your reloaded round, note the COL, press the bullet end against a hard surface with significant but not overbearing force, and remeasure COL. There should be no change in the COL measured. If there is, you run the risk of bullet setback and will need to re-examine your reloading procedures (die adjustments).

15. stewiegriffin

stewiegriffin

Dec 12, 2009
    I havent had an accident (knock on wood) I use a RCBS Lock-Out die on my press. When I didnt use one, I looked in each case before seating. It's easy to get careless on a progressive but if you're careless, well, you know what can happen.

16. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Once upon a time I was loading .45 ACP w/ 200 gr. SC over a mild charge of Unique. Some how or other I must have double charged a round. Upon firing there was heavy recoil. The case ejected violently hitting me square in the forehead. The case was badly bulged. There was no other damage to the pistol. That is the one and only screw up I've had in 30 years of reloading.

17. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Jim, in my experience recoil usually pulls the bullets out of the case. Most of the bullet setback I have seen was caused by chambering in an autoloader.

18. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    'Setback' normally is a problem in autos while 'bullet creep', (pulling forward out of the case) is an affliction in heavy recoiling revolver rounds.

Neither one is an ideal situation.

Jack

19. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

Jun 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Squibs. More an annoyance than anything. (Didnt shoot another bullet behind them tho)

20. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    I have had my share of squibs, good to pay attention at all times while reloading. I have had over loads, not KB, but pound them out fo the rev cyl types. That's what happens when you substitute bullets w/o backing down & reworking your loads.