close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What's the odds of an assault weapon ban in 2007?

Discussion in 'Illinois Glockers' Club' started by oldsmith, Dec 30, 2006.

1. oldsmith

oldsmith

Jan 20, 2001
    I need a rifle to shoot 3 gun this year in .223. My preference is an AR but I don't want to sink funds into one and not be able to use it until I move.

The other option is something that might be exempt. The new Ruger Mini 14's are nice and I've been considering a Remington pump patrol carbine in .308 or .223.

I haven't been here too long. What's the political climate this year? Any rumblings yet?

2. WPD80

WPD80 The Example!

Feb 11, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    This is just my .02 cents worth, but I belive that there will be one in place before the end of 2007. I do think however, you may be alright as long as you owned one prior to the passing....

Tom

3. Tecumseh

Tecumseh Libertarian

:agree:

But not completely. I dont think their will be a grandfather clause in this one. I think it will be based off the Cook county one where there was no grandfathering of current guns.

4. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

If they keep it like the one that almost made it last year there will be a grandfather clause. You can not order replacement parts so be gentle with what you have or get parts ahead of time.

On the other hand this was almost unopposed until the last minute. They can try to fake the pro gun groups out again by putting a ccw bill up as a diversion.All of the focus is put on the diversion while this monster grows in the back ground.

I think a good move for the anti's is to offer to let a ccw bill ride in exchange for not opposing the 50 caliber ban ie awb. Naturally they will make sure that the ccw fails at the last minute but too late for us to stop the awb from passing.

5. oldsmith

oldsmith

Jan 20, 2001
    I am amazed at how many firearms companies and well known gunsmiths are based in Illinois. I hope the people of Chicago don't put an end to it in this state, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I may wait a little while before I take the plunge. I just hate the thought of buying my brother in Ohio a nice AR. I may not get it back. :sad:

6. JMag

JMag

Feb 7, 2001
    USA:Love it or leave!
    Prior to the election....you're kidding, right?

7. oldsmith

oldsmith

Jan 20, 2001
    I heard Daley on the radio today pushing for "common sense" STATE assault weapons ban on the way home from work.

It didn't take long for my question to be answered.

8. "Daley" & "common sense" are mutually exclusive terms.

9. hotpig

They should start working on this bill again after the seventh of this month. Unless it stays in committee longer.

The Mayor of Illinois has been talking it up. I have not heard anything from the Governor.

10. WPD80

WPD80 The Example!

Feb 11, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    This one has got me scared. I am hearing that there may be enough support from the Dem's in Illinois to get this one through. I sure as hell hope not. :sad: :shocked:

11. I don't think the downstate democrats will let it go through.

If it would, there is no way they could confiscate everything.

12. oldsmith

oldsmith

Jan 20, 2001
    If they have the votes, I wouldn't expect them to make any gestures toward the gun lobby, like grandfathering, etc.

13. hotpig

The opposition to this was so light last year. I would be surprised it they did not add the rest of the semi auto rifles, military bolt action, lever action, and tube fed .22 rifles to the ban.

14. oldsmith

oldsmith

Jan 20, 2001
    I hope you are just trying to make me depressed.

15. hotpig

I hope that a scare is all that it is.

This bill does not affect hunters so there is little protest from this segment of shooters.A shill bill for concealed carry keeps that segment of shooters occupied. Many of theses guys would gladly trade AWB for concealed carry.

I think this will go through with just token opposition. There are only two reasons that I can think of off hand that could slow or stop this.

First reason is shooters recognized what happened last year. We did not have a chance for cc. It was a diversion.

Second,gun owners unite against gun bans,even if it does no affect them.

United we stand divided we fall.

16. Rockdiver

Rockdiver

Jan 7, 2007
    I am wondering how people in IL can actually stand by and let this all happen.

17. hotpig

There is almost nothing that can be done. Illinois has a state within a state. They have the population so they run the whole show.

18. hotpig

This is how many of the Southern Illinois residents see the state. Attachment in the next post.

19. hotpig

My view of the state. The writting does not show well. From the top line up is all Chicago. The area in between the two lines is Central Illinois. The bottom is Southern Illinois.