close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's the deal/scam with neighbor's perpetual 'dealer' tags on their cars

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by FThorn, Apr 12, 2007.

1. FThorn

FThorn
    Expand Collapse
    TV/Movie Club

We have had two different occupants (families) in the house next to us over the last 4 years. They knew each other. They always have different cars, and those cars always have paper or dealer metal plates.

Is this some type of scam? What's the deal? Witness protection program?

And they always only have friends come and go after dark. Now, that ALONE is no big deal.

It's just always odd.

The sheriff has been over there a couple of times, too. Is there any way to get a public record on why they visited over there? Just nosey. Oh, that's the same neighbor whose pitbull bit my leg last year, too. (posted elsewhere here)

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. glockman97420

glockman97420
    Expand Collapse

Do they work for a car lot?? Perhaps they're demo cars or something like that.

3. FThorn

FThorn
    Expand Collapse
    TV/Movie Club

No. Neither 'family' or residents work for a car dealer. But, they have the plates often and they change cars pretty frequently.

4. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77
    Expand Collapse
    Thread Killer

Call the FBI! hehe

And then shoot that pit bull.

Just kidding.

Kind of.

-J-

5. djcerna

djcerna
    Expand Collapse
    1 Inch Member

Some times the dealer that sold the car does not have the title to the car and reissues a dealer tag over and over. This is illegal because the dealer is suppose to have the title before selling the car. Dealers offend buy the cars at auctions or other ways and really don't have a title. They want a quick sale and will offen accept a low price due to the car still being in the process of exchanging titles. The buyer can request that the seller void the deal because he sold a vehicle they did not own.

6. epsylum

epsylum
    Expand Collapse
    Boolit Hoze

The last dog that bit me didn't live very long afterward. Of course I was 6 and had to have over 100 stitches in my face and almost lost my eye. Oh and I wasn't the first kid it bit. My dad wanted to try out his 686 on it, but the police didn't like that idea.

7. FThorn

FThorn
    Expand Collapse
    TV/Movie Club

But, I would think over the course of 4 or 5 years, two of these occupants, and probably 20 cars, this scenario becomes less likely and it's a conscious effort to continue the behavior for whatever purpose.

8. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311
    Expand Collapse

Live, and let live. I guess the same could be said about people who buy, and sell firearms now and again. This is our hobby, that is his hobby.

9. TLHelmer

TLHelmer
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

If your really concerned call the Indiana State Police. Each area has an autocrimes investigator. It may be a crime that the dealer is committing in order to keep the buyer from filing a complaint that they haven't received their title yet. It is hard to say with limited information.

10. KSFreeman

KSFreeman
    Expand Collapse
    Broken Member

I would call Mr. Obvious. He had an insightful program on this problem.:supergrin: :rofl:

11. Dandapani

Dandapani
    Expand Collapse

Some "complaints" become public record and your neighbors can find out who "called the cops" on them...

In my neighborhood, it's not worth having my house burned down.

12. FThorn

FThorn
    Expand Collapse
    TV/Movie Club

He really did?

I record the Bob and Tom show to hard disk drive everyday. If you know when it aired, I can search for it. But, I don't recall this particular subject coming up.

13. KSFreeman

KSFreeman
    Expand Collapse
    Broken Member

It's on one of their albums. Maybe the Mr. Obvious album?

Dean calls as the Nieghborhood Watch Captain of Shady Acres Subdivision, Phase III, and reports "drug dealers".:supergrin: :rofl:

14. cougar_guy04

cougar_guy04
    Expand Collapse

*checks iTunes library*
    It's on the Happy Hour album, track title is "The Stakeout". Yes, I'm that bored at work.

15. FThorn

FThorn
    Expand Collapse
    TV/Movie Club

I'm sorry that my 'pass' on a Rose-Hulman engineering degree precluded me from being in your predicament. :)

16. cougar_guy04

cougar_guy04
    Expand Collapse

LOL! This is just my spring break "job". Babysit presenters at a conference and try to come up with solutions if the projectors/laptops/whatever breaks. Not a lot of work, decent pay, pretty sweet gig :)

17. KSFreeman

KSFreeman
    Expand Collapse
    Broken Member

The "carjacking" is my favorite Mr. Obvious. Dean thinks that the valets are gangmembers out to steal his car at a restaurant downtown.

Reminds me of the Lafayette City Council and their response to "gangs".:rofl:

18. singlestacksig

singlestacksig
    Expand Collapse

From ISP web site

Vehicle Crimes Unit - The Vehicle Crimes Unit consists of one sergeant and six detectives who conduct vehicle crime investigations statewide. They assist other investigators and agencies with the identification of stolen vehicles, vehicle parts, and vehicle documents. This unit has a direct link with the National Insurance Crime Bureau and serves as the department's liaison with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles.

Report Auto Theft by Calling the Auto Theft Tip-Line

1-800-288-6847

19. FThorn

FThorn
    Expand Collapse
    TV/Movie Club

I have no reason to suspect out right theft.

Just has the appearance of impropriety.

20. JMag

JMag
    Expand Collapse

Around the city they are about as common as the "Tag Applied For" signs (usually witnessed in aged cardboard with spelling errors)...