Whats the best performing ammunition out of a sub-compact 9mm?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by LEAD, Jun 9, 2010.

1. I know there are companies making ammunition specifically intended for guns with shorter barrels, but are there standard loadings that perform equally well or better?

Specifically I'm talking a glock model 26 and would Gold dot short barrel ammo be ideal, or maybe something standard like the Ranger T, Federal HST, or COR-BON?

Any Chrono information from sub-compact models would be great.

Thanks for your input.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Iwb ..owb..need help for a g26..and whats best. Carry Issues May 16, 2012
    G29 whats the best carry ammo? The 10 Ring Dec 20, 2011
    Whats the best deal right now on 5.45X39 ammo The Kalashnikov Klub May 11, 2011
    whats the best 40cal range amo Caliber Corner Feb 6, 2011
    Whats the best place to get a Henry .22 Rimfire Forum Jan 28, 2011

3. I'd say 124gr. +P Gold Dots.

4. My 124gr +P Gold Dots averaged 1211 fps through my XD 9sc.
  5. You are going to lose only 35-50 fps/inch of barrel which is not really significant but can be made up with just about anyones +p.
  6. At what distance was the chrono?
  7. 5 yards.
  8. This is more or less what I assumed, in which case +p+ would be even better I would think, but might that be just extra powder that doesn't fully burn?
  9. Barnes DPX bullets in Corbon ammo are supposed to perform well out of shorter barrels. Haven't tried them myself. I have used primarily HST or Hydrashocks in my subs with great results.
  10. I use Federal HST 124 grain +P in a G26.

A 10-shot string averaged 1147 fps with an Extreme Spread of 40 fps.

Shot into gallon water jugs they expand like this:

11. About 15-20 years ago I made an expansion test with several then popular bullets for the 45 (as shown). I was and still am impressed with the old Black Talon and 200 gr Speer bullet. there are equals today but to me, none better.

Testing media-just plain wet phone books. Not 9mm but it just seemed like a good place to show.
    #10 ColCol, Jun 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2010

12. Thanks for posting the pics! Nice info.
  13. Good information guys, thanks.

Tyger006 thanks for the advice, I have a few DPX rounds that I carry in my BHP, maybe it'd be a good call to switch them into the 26 then I could test a mag worth and have the other half of the box to carry.
  14. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I carry Hornady CD in my sub-compact 9mm.
  15. I use Ranger +p+ 127 grain in my G19, i bet that would be a great load in the little G26
  16. No problem.

It makes some sense that a bullet designed to penetrate more than average should penetrate well despite the somewhat reduced velocity produced by the subcompact's shorter barrel. But as I said before, I have no personal experience with them.