close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What's the best gun safe/vault for $5k?

Discussion in 'Gun-Parts & Access.' started by solar, Oct 21, 2013.

1. solar

solar

Oct 16, 2005
    MA
    Sorry for the general title but I'm hitting a stalemate when looking for my next safe. Here's my criteria;

• Max Cost: $5,000
    • Max dimensions: W 50" x D 30" x H ~75"
    • Fireproof/theft: I live in a nice New England suburban town with low crime and approximately 1 mile from police and fire.
    • Other: I'd like a left hand hinge, some interior lighting, and a split between long gun storage and shelving.

I've been looking at the Fort Knox Defender 7241 (45 cu. ft) but am curious if they're worth the cost premium. Their safes are only UL rated, vs. TL rated which I've been told is much more strict.

Is Fort Knox worth the cost premium?
    What is the real difference between premium safes?
    What else should I be considering for makes/models/etc?

Thanks!

2. Thomasc18

Thomasc18 NRA Life Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Alabama
    I've been looking around as well. I've been leaning towards Fort Knoxx. I've heard they make some of the best out there.

3. ShallNotBeInfringed

ShallNotBeInfringed NRA Business Al

Feb 2, 2013
    The best safes are used ones. Not much has changed in locking, fireproof boxes over the past hundred years, except USA steel is better than import.

Used safes can sometimes be purchased circa song.

Run an ad in CL and see what turns up.

sent from my rotary wall phone

4. markerbeacon

markerbeacon

Aug 3, 2012
    Madison, AL

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8"]GUN SAFES "THE TRUTH" weaponseducation - YouTube[/ame]

Let us know what you get. thanks.

5. CJ5&G23

CJ5&G23

Feb 18, 2004
  6. edcrosbys

edcrosbys

Aug 22, 2007
    VA
    I know a few people with these and they are amazing!

7. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    I know a fellow that his basement walls are lined with safes. I asked him where or how he could have gotten them all,it must have cost a fortune.
    He told me evert time over the years that a bank or town/city office was upgrading/refurbishing he would try to buy the old safe.he had some beautiful examples of the safe builders art. SJ 40