close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What's standard protocol?

Discussion in 'Okie Memorial Area' started by okie, Feb 2, 2013.

1. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    I'll wait for the episode of Hardcore Pawn when she sells it and he gets thrown out of the store demanding its his ring.

2. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

May 17, 2002
    Hallstead, PA
    She keeps the ring. The cad will soon discover that "He who marries for money will EARN it!":shocked:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013

3. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    I doubt he is a GT'r:supergrin:

Magnus2131 likes this.
  4. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    That would be worth watching for sure:rofl::rofl:

Magnus2131 likes this.
  5. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    I hope he does, and I'm sure he will. Before he married he asked some of his fellow countrymen and women if they wanted to chip in on gas and vacation in Florida for a week, they said yes. On the way his van got broken into and everything inside ripped off, he called the police and his insurance, his insurance co told him to have everyone write down what they had stolen and the dollar amount and they would send him a big check and he could give the people their share. I don't think the people did it but he told them to write down way more value than what the stuff was worth, he said insurance co's screw us, we are going to screw them. He ended up keeping ALL the money, didn't give anyone their fair share:upeyes:

Magnus2131 likes this.
  6. VinnieD

VinnieD

Mar 26, 2011
    The tradition of men giving women jewelry as engagement, wedding, and anniversary gifts began around the same time as divorce, so that if the man divorced his wife the woman could sell the jewelry as a means of supporting herself for a while. So the protocol is, she keeps the ring as compensation for the broken promise.

7. BUICKSPEC6231

BUICKSPEC6231

Dec 31, 2012
    She keeps the ring. He offered the ring to her as an engagement. Many courts have ruled that the exchange of engagement ring is the same as a written and signed contract. By him breaking the "contract" off, he has violated the agreement and has to suffer the loss.

8. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Somewhere in the air.
    My response that it was good form to return the ring reflected the laws of etiquette which absolutely require you to return an engagement ring when the engagement is broken.

The laws of most states classify an engagement ring as a conditional gift and also require the return of the ring.

"Conditional gifts are the exception to the rule that gifts cannot be revoked if given properly. Though the receiver may be able to prove that the engagement ring was a gift, the ring could still be returned to the giver if the court considers the engagement ring a conditional gift.

A conditional gift is one where the giver gives the gift to the receiver with the expectation that some future event or action will take place. If the agreed-upon event does not occur or the agreed-upon condition is not met, then the gift-giver has the right to get the gift back. The majority of courts classify engagement rings as a conditional gift, and award the engagement ring to the giver in broken engagement cases."

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  9. :thumbsup::agree:

10. Zonny

Zonny

Apr 22, 2006
    Tempe, Arizona
    Sticking it up is ass is what comes to mind for me.

Magnus2131 likes this.
  11. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member CLM

Jan 3, 2007
    CCTX
    This is why family heirloons shouldn't be used as engagement rings. He gave it to her, HE broke it off, SHE gets to pawn it or drop it off a bridge, as she sees fit.

12. Wyoming

Wyoming

Feb 3, 2007
    Southwest Wyoming
    Okie this has always been the correct protocol.

Maybe in today's world anything goes but to ask for the ring back is very low class.

13. Bruce H

Bruce H

Dec 5, 2000
    missouri
    Oh she should give it back allright. Place it over his manhood, lay manhood on an anvil and hit it three times with a four pound hammer so it won't fall off.

14. In fairness to the guy, if his wife recently died, the whole series of events may be part of his grieving and coming to terms with his loss. Same thing ma happen to GF two. But that I think he should expect the ring(s) back...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

15. Wyoming

Wyoming

Feb 3, 2007
    Southwest Wyoming
    I lost my first wife at the age of 37. it hurt a lot but it is no excuse for treating some one else poorly.

What he did is break his word. He asked her to marry him and gave her a engagement ring. He later broke off the engagement which in it self is OK but to ask for or expect the engagement ring back is wrong.

16. Never Nervous

Never Nervous

Aug 18, 2009
    Metro ATL
    Tell him to pound sand. Don't know if that's protocol.

NN

17. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    May as well be, huh:supergrin::rofl:

Magnus2131 likes this.
  18. Haldor

Haldor Retired EE

Oct 22, 2006
    Central Arizona
    The woman did nothing wrong. He broke the engagement. She keeps the ring.

That is why Moissanite was invented. You would have to be an idiot to spend serious money on a rock.

www.moissanite.com

19. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    This.

She needs to do a Number 6 on his sorry behind. Then find a large man to rape him at the Number 6 Dance later that night.

20. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    Do I dare ask what a Number 6 is:alex::supergrin:

Magnus2131 likes this.