What's standard protocol?

Discussion in 'Okie Memorial Area' started by okie, Feb 2, 2013.

1. I'll wait for the episode of Hardcore Pawn when she sells it and he gets thrown out of the store demanding its his ring.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

She keeps the ring. The cad will soon discover that "He who marries for money will EARN it!":shocked:

#22 HandyMan Hugh, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  3. okie

okie GT Mayor

I doubt he is a GT'r:supergrin:
    Magnus2131 likes this.
  4. okie

okie GT Mayor

That would be worth watching for sure:rofl::rofl:
    Magnus2131 likes this.
  5. okie

okie GT Mayor

I hope he does, and I'm sure he will. Before he married he asked some of his fellow countrymen and women if they wanted to chip in on gas and vacation in Florida for a week, they said yes. On the way his van got broken into and everything inside ripped off, he called the police and his insurance, his insurance co told him to have everyone write down what they had stolen and the dollar amount and they would send him a big check and he could give the people their share. I don't think the people did it but he told them to write down way more value than what the stuff was worth, he said insurance co's screw us, we are going to screw them. He ended up keeping ALL the money, didn't give anyone their fair share:upeyes:
    Magnus2131 likes this.
  6. The tradition of men giving women jewelry as engagement, wedding, and anniversary gifts began around the same time as divorce, so that if the man divorced his wife the woman could sell the jewelry as a means of supporting herself for a while. So the protocol is, she keeps the ring as compensation for the broken promise.
  7. She keeps the ring. He offered the ring to her as an engagement. Many courts have ruled that the exchange of engagement ring is the same as a written and signed contract. By him breaking the "contract" off, he has violated the agreement and has to suffer the loss.
  8. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

My response that it was good form to return the ring reflected the laws of etiquette which absolutely require you to return an engagement ring when the engagement is broken.

The laws of most states classify an engagement ring as a conditional gift and also require the return of the ring.

"Conditional gifts are the exception to the rule that gifts cannot be revoked if given properly. Though the receiver may be able to prove that the engagement ring was a gift, the ring could still be returned to the giver if the court considers the engagement ring a conditional gift.

A conditional gift is one where the giver gives the gift to the receiver with the expectation that some future event or action will take place. If the agreed-upon event does not occur or the agreed-upon condition is not met, then the gift-giver has the right to get the gift back. The majority of courts classify engagement rings as a conditional gift, and award the engagement ring to the giver in broken engagement cases."
    #28 GVFlyer, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  9. :thumbsup::agree:
  10. Zonny

Sticking it up is ass is what comes to mind for me.
    Magnus2131 likes this.
  11. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member

This is why family heirloons shouldn't be used as engagement rings. He gave it to her, HE broke it off, SHE gets to pawn it or drop it off a bridge, as she sees fit.
  12. Okie this has always been the correct protocol.

Maybe in today's world anything goes but to ask for the ring back is very low class.
  13. Oh she should give it back allright. Place it over his manhood, lay manhood on an anvil and hit it three times with a four pound hammer so it won't fall off.
  14. In fairness to the guy, if his wife recently died, the whole series of events may be part of his grieving and coming to terms with his loss. Same thing ma happen to GF two. But that I think he should expect the ring(s) back...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
  15. I lost my first wife at the age of 37. it hurt a lot but it is no excuse for treating some one else poorly.

What he did is break his word. He asked her to marry him and gave her a engagement ring. He later broke off the engagement which in it self is OK but to ask for or expect the engagement ring back is wrong.
  16. Tell him to pound sand. Don't know if that's protocol.

17. okie

okie GT Mayor

May as well be, huh:supergrin::rofl:
    Magnus2131 likes this.
  18. Haldor

Haldor Retired EE

The woman did nothing wrong. He broke the engagement. She keeps the ring.

That is why Moissanite was invented. You would have to be an idiot to spend serious money on a rock.

19. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

She needs to do a Number 6 on his sorry behind. Then find a large man to rape him at the Number 6 Dance later that night.
  20. okie

okie GT Mayor

Do I dare ask what a Number 6 is:alex::supergrin:
    Magnus2131 likes this.