close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's in Your Magazine?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by ColCol, Jul 5, 2010.

1. ColCol

ColCol
    Expand Collapse

Curious-would you trust your reloads for SD more than commercial ammo? In light of the failures I've experienced and read about lately, I'm inclined to think the former.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. mojo67

mojo67
    Expand Collapse

Don't reload yet for my 357 Sig, so currently my mag is filled with factory Federal 125 gr HST's. It's a wicked little son of bit#h of a round.

3. Snapper2

Snapper2
    Expand Collapse

The failures can be on both sides. I guess it should depend on what you are more accurate with and can shoot the best with. Bullet design is another factor. Some of the top designs are not for sale to hand load.(HST,SXT,and most bonded bullets). We do have XTP, Gold dots,and Barnes to hand load so the drop ain't that bad(if there is one). If I did carry hand loads:whistling: it would be something I tested and checked for accuracy.

4. KiloBravo

KiloBravo
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Newb

"What's in my magazine?"

Ammunition. :supergrin:

Seriously though, I only carry factory jacketed hollow point ammo. I am partial to Gold Dots, but like any good quality cartridge with good street creds.

5. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

It's not that I worry about the reliability, I handload the rifle rounds I hunt dangerous game with, I carry factory because the bullets are often better (HST, any of the bonded JHP) & the ammo is very reliable. Cost is not a factor, I buy one box to function test & one to carry.

6. ff/emt

ff/emt
    Expand Collapse

I read somewhere that using reloads could set you up for a civil lawsuit in court if used in SD. Now I don't remember the name of the article-I think it was in Combat Handguns and I am not a lawyer or play one on tv. Just entered my teeny little mind when I saw your post. IMO I would carry and do carry a round factory loaded and labeled for defense. I have Hornady Critical Defense in my G23 and the same for my 9's.

7. FlyfishermanMike

FlyfishermanMike
    Expand Collapse

Many people have heard this as have I but no one seems to able to reference a reliable source. I really don't see how it would be an issue though. A bullet is a bullet. Why would my reloads make me more at fault?

8. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

IT doesn't make you more at fault, but the argument goes like this: The shooting is justified, no criminal charges. Then the family of the dead or crippled BG sues you for using excessive force by shooting said BG w/ "custom, high powered JHP designed to kill the attacker", or "factory ammo wasn't good enough for the defendant, no, he needed to make is own super killing ammunition". Yeah, it's probably never going to happen, but then with all the things that can go wrong in a shooting trial, why add gasoline to that fire?:dunno: Remember, a civl suite only requires majority to convict, not a unanamous decision.

#8 fredj338, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  9. rohanreginald

rohanreginald
    Expand Collapse
    Novice

Doesn't he castle doctrine, which most states have adopted, negate the civil claim. I know in my state that if I act within the law for self defense, I am protected from the civil side of the law as well.

10. James Dean

James Dean
    Expand Collapse

If its 9mm its Speer Gold dots
    If its .40 its Speer Gold dots

11. BadAndy

BadAndy
    Expand Collapse

I keep my CW9 and M&P 9 loaded with 124gr +P Gold Dots. They're great bullets and as far as I know, the only bonded bullets available for reloading.

12. rome2240sw

rome2240sw
    Expand Collapse
    GLOCKIN4LIFE

currently 180gr HSTs in my Glock 22.

13. 481

Expand Collapse

Fred,

An excellent perspective here.

In response to other's concerns above, Castle Doctrine (at least in Ohio as it exists under ORC) has both criminal and civil aspects of indemnification.

As a retired LEO (who has actually investigated numerous felonious assaults and a few homicides), it doesn't matter what you use (handloads, commercially produced ammo, a steak knife or an old axe handle) to defend your life or that of a family member.

If you're right, you're right and if you are wrong....well....you are going to prison.

ETA the OP's question-

What's in Your Magazine?

For me its-

Glock 17: Hornady 147 gr. XTP JHPs

USP45: Hornady 230 gr. +P XTP JHPs

#13 481, Jul 6, 2010
  14. alexanderg23

alexanderg23
    Expand Collapse

win PDX1's in the 23 180 gr I think

15. ColCol

ColCol
    Expand Collapse

Same situation here in TN.

This legislation allows an individual to use force to protect him or herself wherever they have a legal right to be. The bill also provides civil immunity for those who defend themselves from criminal attack.(Castle Doctrine" bill HB 1907).

"Legal right to be" to me means my house, my property and my car above all.

I'm sort of surprised to see few use Ranger T ammo. That's my choice for commercial ammo in 9mm and 45 with 127 gr +P+ in the 9mm and 230 gr +P in the 45.

16. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD
    Expand Collapse

I would trust my handloads. I load rather slowly with a turret press, and inspect every powder charge. The sizing die ensures there's a flash hole in every piece of brass. A cartridge gauge and primer inspection finish the deal.
    I've only had one commercial hollow point load fail, a 10mm Silvertip several years ago, but never had any issues with handloads.
    I've had quite a few Win. USA FMJ and Mag Tech FMJ errors.

In my magazine?

Winchester Super X .38 Super Silvertips, perhaps not the ultimate SD load, but I just don't worry about which brand too much. I worry about hitting the bullseye.

#16 HAMMERHEAD, Jul 6, 2010
  17. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD
    Expand Collapse

FWIW, a recent issue of Handloader magazine claims there is no liability whatsoever from using handloads that are similar to SD ammo. They do cite the case where one guy got sued for using 10mm, but it was not because it was a handload, IIRC, it was an issue of excessive power/damage.
    I don't claim Handloader is right, just wanted to pass it along.

18. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Civil protection here too with the "Make My Day Law" (yes, it's really called that).

I have factory ammo that I carry, I have some handloads that I carry. Depends on caliber and my stash of premium factory stuff. I haven't bought any factory ammo for years. Doubt I'll ever get it again.

19. BOGE

BOGE
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Not always true. Depends on the jury.

http://freerepublic.com/focus/news/1678124/posts

The aforementioned decision was reversed, but after he spent three years in the state pen.

H.L. Mencken said that a jury is the stupidity of one multiplied by twelve. In a shooting EVERYTHING depends on the jury if you go to trial. Remember the O.J. trial, right? :whistling:

20. 481

Expand Collapse

The underlying premise of your response is flawed. I never said that the system is perfect.

Hey, if you wanna hang your hat on the "short stub" of jury nullification/activism you are free to go ahead and do that. :dunno:

I, however, am not so cavalier about what effects my freedom.

While these exceptional instances do occur, they don't happen with any great regularity...which is why they are referred to as "exceptional". Competent prosecutorial (or defense counsel) control can mitigate, and in some cases eliminate, these issues.

Having actually charged (and participated in the successful prosecution thereof) such offenses and speaking directly from that professional experience, I'd rather be "right" than "lucky".

#20 481, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010