close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Whats a Good Semi Auto for Shooting Reloads?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Zack3467, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Zack3467

Zack3467 Zack

Mar 23, 2011
    Toledo, Ohio
    I have herd glocks dont shoot reloads well. So i was wondering what is a good semi auto pistol for shooting reloads. 9mm, .40, .380. I have been collecting all my brass so i wanna reload it and use it. I dont want to shoot reloads out of anything until i know its ok for the gun

2. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    Don't beleive everything you hear. Will over 100,000+ reloads through Glocks.

3. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    Glocks run reloads as well, or better, than any other gun I can think of. The generous chamber of the stock barrel is what allows them to fit even rounds that are a little too big here and there. FWIW, my Beretta 96 has a chamber even looser than my Glocks and will feed rounds my Glock wouldn't.

It's the aftermarket barrels and their tighter chambers that give people grief.

4. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Yup, Glocks shoot reloads but it's a real PITA reloading Greenie Stick'em Caps. Real guns on the other hand have no problem with reloaded bullets. :whistling:

Jack

5. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Sep 27, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I shot 15,000 reloads in my Glocks just last year alone. :dunno:

6. I have used quite a few different brands of pistols and have yet to find one that I could not reload ammunition for, Glocks included!

7. jolly roger

jolly roger

Apr 28, 2001
    Knob Creek
    You can shoot reloads AND hardcast bullets with any reasonable recipe. As a matter of fact my G17 shoots hardcast round nose 125 grain MUCH more accurately than ball ammo. Just clean the barrel good about every 100 rounds or so. Don't believe everything on the net...just this :)

8. Philippe

Philippe

Jan 26, 2011
    STL
    They dont like reloads using cast lead, Stick with Jacketed and Plated bullets, you'll be fine.

9. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    I even shoot soft cast bullets in my Glocks. You might have to tinker a bit with powder and charge, you can't just use a max load of fast powder and expect X ring results, but a little load developement allows me to shoot ammo for the cost of primers and powder alone.

10. Yo

Yo

Jan 31, 2001
    Near the ocean
    Listen and learn!

Glocks have polygonal barrels that do NOT agree with lead bullets. There is a reason Glock recommends against use of lead bullets.

from wiki: One suggestion of what the "additional factor involved in Glock's warning" might be is that Glock barrels have a fairly sharp transition between the chamber and the rifling, and this area is prone to lead buildup if lead bullets are used. This buildup may result in failures to fully return to battery, allowing the gun to fire with the case not fully supported by the chamber, leading to a potentially dangerous case failure. However, since this sharp transition is found on most autopistols this speculation is of limited value. The sharp transition or "lip" at the front of the chamber is required to "headspace" the cartridge in most autopistols.

11. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    I shoot my reloads thru two Glocks, a G22 and G20SF, never had a problem with my reloads.
    I shoot hard cast lead, plated and jacketed bullets and the guns are stock except for night sights and afternarket SS guide rod and 20# springs, my reloads are warm.

12. BENCH

BENCH

Mar 19, 2010
    Shreveport, La.
    I agree with shooting reloads. I use plated bullets with no problems.

13. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    Just about every round through my Glocks have been reloads, and 3/4's of my reloads are hard cast lead. My personal experience has been, if a factory Glock barrel, really bulges the brass of manufactured ammo, it might not be a good choice for reloads, but if everything looks normal after first outing, it's time to work on a reload it shoots well. Good luck!

14. 1006

Aug 12, 2007
    Newnan, Georgia
    I don't like to clean barrels any more than the minimal amount. So, I stay away from lead in my stock Glock barrels. The plated Berry bulluts work quite well for me. I have tried the black moly bullets that I use in everything else, but they leave a lot of soft lead in my Glock barrels.

Generally speaking, for every Glock I buy to shoot, I buy an after market barrel. It pays for itself, and I can go several thousand rounds of lead before I feel guilty enough to clean it.

extra two cents:
    Wikkipedia is just an online source of information contributed from people just like any forum. It certainly cannot be trusted as a final source of information.

15. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    :rofl::rofl: .....

16. BK63

BK63

Sep 15, 2005
    CT
    Oh boy! As Jack would say, we are gonna need more bandwidth :supergrin:

17. Smoker

Smoker

Jul 21, 2008
    NE Kansas
  18. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    Lets just get the other big glock myth out there while were at it. Never shoot a glock 40 because it will blow up in your hand.:tongueout:

19. hoffy

hoffy

Jun 12, 2007
    Ohio
    To the OP, if you read a good manual(the Lyman is a good first manual) and use jacketed or plated bullets you should have no problems whatsoever. I have owned many Glocks over the years, and performance with cast bullets has been less than spectacular, and I am a long time bullet caster. Cleaning every 100 rounds is not my idea of fun, I am tight, and prefer to shoot my cast bullets, but that is just too much cleaning, when you can shoot thousands of jacketed literally w/o cleaning. I have had a few Glocks that were more accepting of lead, my G-21 in particular. I removed every last trace of copper with harsh solvent and burnished it with moly paste and it ran ok with cast wheel weights, keeping the velocities within reason. the smaller calibers have proven to me to be much more problematic, I have had 4 G-17s and none shot cast well(unless you are willing to get out the lead remover or lead cleaning cloth every 100 rounds or so) . I have seen a Glock barrel ringed, full of lead and followed by hot jacketed ball, ostensibly to blast the lead out, I believe it stuck the case too(I worked in a gun shop when Glocks hit the shores, we had two gunsmiths and people brought us their problems).

All that said, even buying projectiles, you will be saving money, even with 9mms and reloading is a fun (to me ) hobby and it lessens your dependence on logistical anomalies, such as the last panic. And re wiki, it is what it is, good for a quick reference in plain language, but do not rely on it for anything important. Use it in a college class as a reference and you will get flamed, a proff made a girl cry in a class in grad school when he took her to task for using it.Get a good manual, read up, and have fun...... initial cost do not have to be a bunch and you can expand as you go.....

20. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    Not a myth, if it's true!:supergrin: