close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What's a good reloader press?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by boholglock, Jun 18, 2009.

1. boholglock

boholglock
    Expand Collapse

Hello Brothers,
    I would like to seek your expert opinion on the topic of reloading.
    Which brand do you prefer and why? (pros and cons)
    Is it really that cost-effective to reload?
    If there has been a similar thread, please kindly share me the link.
    Thanks in advance.
    B*h*lGl*ck

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. bulm540

bulm540
    Expand Collapse

Dillon. llifetime no BS warranty.

3. liveandletlive

liveandletlive
    Expand Collapse

Lee Pro1000 for its simplicity, functionality and low price. You'd be surprised how well it can function when setup properly. Haven't had any squib load in many thousands of rounds loaded. I think it is better than Dillon 550B in terms of function. I've seen way too many squibs coming out of 550s. Last one I saw destroyed a Sunico STI/Caspian/Scheumann(?spell)/C-more race gun. The C-more flew a few feet up in the air (ouch!) and the barrel looked like a bamboo splitting. The Dillons look better made though. IMHO Dillon 650 is better than the Lee but is more... much more... expensive. If it is available, Hornady LnL is a very good option. I'd personally go for it if money is of no concern. For my hard earned money and my shooting skills level and the competitions I go to, the Lee is plenty good enough for me.

4. liveandletlive

liveandletlive
    Expand Collapse

Yes, but you'll find yourself shooting more. So, without you realizing it you'd be spending more. But... it is fun. It's like having another gun (only the head goes in rather than out of the shell) that you can crank up even if the rain or your busy sched would not allow you to go to the range. I sometimes loose track of time when I'm in front of my press and only stops when my wife knocks on my reloading room to make me realize that the noise from the press is irritating at 2 in the morning.:whistling:

And...

You'll have lots more ammo to burn when the rain stops...:cool:

5. bulm540

bulm540
    Expand Collapse

squibs in 550s are operator error not the fault of the machine. Have seen squibs from a Lee 1000 too. We were in a State match in TN. 2 squibs in 1 stage. Guy have to go to Walmart to buy ammo. Guy was a seasoned reloader.

6. sandman_sy

sandman_sy
    Expand Collapse

hhmm... one thing to consider is budget.. I did not want to spend 50k on a reloading setup.. so i went with LEE.. its cheaper but more hassle especially if your super kuripot.. and go with single press ( like i did, because i only reload .223 rounds and soon .308).

But i know a friend who did a setup with good dies, it was awesome and i can really see that it was hassle free. Dillon 550 i think yung machine nya with redding dies and some other stuff.. Halo2x.. best of brands kinuha nya to get a very precise machine.

It saves money.. but a time monster... i spend like 6 hours in front of my reloading bench.. hehehe.. the reason why people reload is not because of money i think. its more on the want and need to have a better and precise loads. iba talaga when you do it yourself :) and of course for the fun of it. Bago lang ko nag.reload but man, i wish i did this a long time ago.

Gun Ban is coming so it would be nice to load around the house.. hehehe clean the shells, prep the case, make a few thousands of rounds.. para pag.shooting season na.. lock and load kana :) heheheheh....

#6 sandman_sy, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  7. boholglock

boholglock
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the swift replies. Keep the inputs coming.

8. 9MX

9MX
    Expand Collapse
    Rei!

dillon 550b - no bs warranty..note that rl 1050b doesn't have the same warranty kasi industrial na siya.

lee load pro - i've heard from rico papa that its faster than the dillon 550b in loading a 100 rounds. i think that's true.

for me, dillon's weakness are its dies, particular the sizing die and crimping die. wchich is why i use lee u dies and fcd dies

9. liveandletlive

liveandletlive
    Expand Collapse

Yup, it can happen to the best reloader with the best machines. And I too think it is usually an operator error. You really have to pay attention when you're reloading.

The difference I think is in the way the machine works. The Pro1000 is an auto indexing machine like the 650. It also has a simple but effective empty brass loader that is integrated with the machine (less added cost) . So in a Pro1000 you crank the press with your right hand and put the head with your left. One job for each hand. The 550B don't come with a brass loader (you may be able to add one for a lot more money) and does not auto index. So the operator goes - load a shell with the left + put a head with the right then turn the shellplate with the left hand + crank the lever with the right. 2 jobs for each hand and you always have to remember where you are. You're bound to make more mistakes with the more complicated operation than with the simpler one. That doesn't mean one can't have a squib with the Lee though.

If you have the means, skip the 550B and go straight to the 650 with a KISS loader. Especially if you are a high volume shooter. If you're a weekend warrior type of shooter and don't want to spend more than what's needed, a Single Stage Press with some type of quick release bushing, Pro1000 for a little more money (maybe - because it can even be cheaper) or the 550B (if your attention span is still at its prime) are sensible choices IMHO.

10. paltik45

paltik45
    Expand Collapse

I use LEE CLASSIC TURRET PRESS for pistol rounds and it is semi progressive. But for my rifle rounds I,ve been using my RCBS single stage press.:supergrin:

11. mtho

mtho
    Expand Collapse

sabi nila for rifle or mas precise (ok ok) bullet kelangan single stage. kasi your always handleing the bullets in every stage kaya you'd spot it if there's something wrong.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut_I...6C23CA88&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=26
    but kung 45 lang loload mo at nag mamadali ka. you could try the Lee loadmaster you could even add a bullet feeder and a case feeder for just a little more.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCFFpHyHyB4&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfep9hXXKBw&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRkbrJNWbpQ

#11 mtho, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  12. edtf

edtf
    Expand Collapse

I second that. I also use lee factory crimp die for my 9mm on a 550b. it is just a bit short but it would work.

Dillon is top service. I had some damaged parts e-mailed them and there are times I paid for shipping there were times they just sent the part.

13. sandman_sy

sandman_sy
    Expand Collapse

Where did you get your RCBS bro paltik?? i heard it a good press daw :)

14. st. matthew

st. matthew
    Expand Collapse
    c_w@_u_need_2_c

O.T.
    where do you guys get your reloading components for your rifles?

tia:wavey:

15. ess45

ess45
    Expand Collapse

Lots of information on the reloading section of this forum.

My present setup

Dillon RL 550 for 40SW
    Hornady LNL AP for 45ACP and 400 Corbon
    Redding T7 turret press for rifle (223, 308, 6.5 Grendel and 7.62X39)

Pistol dies, I have Hornady, Dillon and Lee. Lee dies are cheap and they are good. For resizing I like Dillon because the decapping rod/pin are easy to remove, thus easy to clean and dillon dies don't rust,
    For seating die, I prefer Lee because they are easy to adjust (especially if using different bullet shapes and brand and different pistols of the same caliber that likes different OAL).
    For crimp dies all brand work well for me but I prefer Hornady for 400 Corbon.
    I have Lee Factory crimp die but never have the need to use them.

Rifle dies, I have Lee, Forster and Redding but I prefer Redding dies.

Powder measure- I prefer Lee Pro Auto auto disk powder measure because they are easy to set up and empty (this is what I often use in Dillon and Hornady press). One disadvantage is the fix charge (the adjustable charge bar is not consistent with the powder and charges I'm using), but the fix charges works well for me.
    Dillon powder measure have adjustable charge bar but emptying requires several steps.
    Hornady powder measure- the drum binds when using fine powder like Bullseye.

Priming for rifle - I use RCBS hand priming tool and or Lee auto prime 2 press mounted priming tool.
    Powder measure for rifle- I use Redding 3BR but I still weight each load (the measure is not consistent with Varget powder)

16. atmarcella

atmarcella
    Expand Collapse

lee loadmaster. bcos i know many dillon loaders who use lee dies, might as well use their press para uniform lahat. and if dillon cant make good dies their press cant be far off. but then again i can be wrong.

no. you do it to get better bullets. in my case the gunclubs bullets were not feeding well in my barsto barreled glock, they were using dillon dies. i read an article about the advantage of taper crimping as opposed to roll crimping. i figured a taper crimp bullet would feed better. and it did.

#16 atmarcella, Jun 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  17. boholglock

boholglock
    Expand Collapse

Should I consider the turret press? or go straight with the loadmaster?
    What are the pros and cons?

18. mtho

mtho
    Expand Collapse

19. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman
    Expand Collapse

how much do you shoot? rifle and pistol or just pistol?

What is your budget?

20. BrassKnuckle

BrassKnuckle
    Expand Collapse

The choice between the LEE Turret Press and the LEE Loadmaster would really depend on the volume of reloading that you intend to do. I personally (and this is just me) would choose the Turret Press because by disabling the auto-index mechanism I can turn it into a single stage press. I have more faith in ammo loaded with a single stage as I can peer into all the charged cases (sitting in a loading block) to make sure that each contains the same amount of powder. If volume reloading is called for, I can activate the turret press' auto-index mechanism and load at a pretty decent rate.

I understand that the Loadmaster can also be used to load singly, but I don't want the extra expense of a progressive and the added clutter of a shell plate since I'll be using it mostly as a single stage anyway. As I said, that's just me.

A friend asked me about reloading recently and we did the math on roll-your-own-reloads versus having them done in a shop. We found out that the savings was very small, specially when you are a heavy shooter and can avail of volume discounts from reloading shops. Of course this assumes that there are reputable shops near your location. It also assumes that you trust someone else to reload your ammo and that is usually the issue for fastidious shooters.

From what I've seen, it is actually a misconception that you can save a lot by reloading. That's because components are bought in bulk, and since they're on hand already there is a tendency for you to shoot and reload more. Cost per shot does go down, but total expense goes up from the higher volume of shooting. Sometimes dramatically so.

The investment on the equipment is not an issue as you can recoup that when you decide to sell them later on. Given the scarcity of reloading gear here in the Phils, it is possible to even sell the equipment for more than you originally paid for them.

#20 BrassKnuckle, Jun 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2009