close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What's a Good Peacemaker Clone??

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Nalapombu, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

Oct 21, 1999
    Spring, TEXAS....USA
    Hey all,

I fondled a Colt Peacemaker in a shop the other day and WOW, would I love to own one. I have always wanted one, but never had the chance to really handle, work the action and admire one until I got down here in Texas. It was a nickel version in 45LC with the 4 5/8 barrel. BEAUTIFUL is all I can say. Sadly it is out of my price range at $1499.

So I started thinking about other alternatives to the Colt that are less expensive. I know US Firearms makes some awfully nice clones and some say they would rather have one of their pistols than a new version Colt. I don't know enough to be able to make that claim though. I do know they are also pricey with the most affordable version being the Rodeo at about $650 or so. That could be a possibility for me, but I'd like to hear some thoughts on what else is out there that's worth a look.

All of the Cowboy gun companies like Uberti, Taylors, EAA, Cimarron, EMF, Beretta, and so on make Peacemaker clones. The problem is that how do you know one is better than the others? From what I have heard they are all made in Italy and finished over here. So is one any better than the other?

If you were going to get a Peacemaker clone and you were limited to say $400 to $600, which one would you get?

I would like one in 4 5/8 barrel, 45 Colt or 44 Special, finish doesn't matter so much. I also don't want something I have to baby and watch what ammo I put in it. I don't want something that is recommended for those "Cowboy" loads that are damn near like squibs. I'm not going to be running Buffalo Bore full house 45Colt through it, but you get the idea, I think. I would like to be able to take it along when I go bowhunting for hogs just in case I would hit him bad or some other occurrence.

Lastly, I know many would recommend the Ruger New Vaquero. I would like to have one of those too. But I want a Peacemaker clone first. I love those 4 clicks you hear when cocking that hammer.

What would you spend your money on??

Thanks for the help and your time.

Nalajr

Oh, pics are definitely welcome if you want to post them. We all LOVE pics.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    GREAT post!!!

I'm interested in getting a Peacemaker Clone, too. Just don't know enough about 'em, or which one is best.
    (I'm not a Ruger fan, so, their single actions are 'out'.)

3. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
  4. rvrctyrngr

rvrctyrngr Senior Moment

Sep 15, 2004
    Gator Nation
  5. Filhar

Filhar

Jul 22, 2007
    So Wi
    EMFs Great Western IIs are fantastic for the money. They are clones of the 2nd generation Colts. I've got 2 pair for main match SASS guns. 1 pair of Stainless and a pair that they discontinued that have real case-hardening from Turnbull and birdshead grips. Call EMF and ask if they have any deals and tell them what you're looking for. I'll try to get some pictures up.

6. OUSooner

OUSooner

Jan 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    I'm not big on Rugers for the reason the OP stated. I have several Uberti's and they are really good guns for the money. Stay away from the Berreata as it has a firing pin safety.

7. I have a Cimarron Thunderer with is their '73 mated with a bird's head grip and consider it a quality revolver. At their base, Cimarrons are Uberti made, though specifically for Cimarron and have a better fit and finish.

[​IMG]

8. The clones are pretty much made by two companies...Uberti and Pietta. The only difference is fit and finish and a lot of them are offering "race ready" versions for CAS. You really can't go wrong with any of them including the US Firearms Rodeo.

Uberti = Beretta, Cimarron, and Taylor.

Pietta = EMF.

I'm not sure who is making them for EAA.

9. redrick

redrick

Jun 6, 2009
    Virginia
    The best clone is the USFA and will cost the most. Since you don't care about the finish the Rodeo would be my choice, for around $650 used.

I would also look at:
    Taylor's Smoke Wagon
    Cimarron Arms Evil Roy
    Uberti EL Patron

They can all be had for around $600 new and are the top of the line Uberti's.

I have been looking at them for a while and was going to get a clone , but now I have decided on waiting for a Colt.

10. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

Ive had:
    Uberti
    Cimarron
    I know they dont count cause of the bar safety but:
    Ruger Vaqueros
    Beretta stampede

Hands down Uberti! Cimarron was a close 2nd.

11. MLittle

MLittle

Jun 24, 2010
    There is no substitute for the original. I investigated the USFA 1873's and by the time you get done with the finish, grips, etc. they cost just about the same as a Colt. I ordered a new Colt SAA, 4.75in barrel, blue model, 45 Colt in December of last year and couldn't be happier. It cost me about $1,200. I'd save my money and get the real thing. And yes......I do shoot it. It's very accurate and shoots to point of aim. I reload my own 45 Colt cartidges and don't shoot cowboy loads (8 gr. of Unique). I also own a Ruger Vaquero in stainless with 4 5/8 barrel, also in 45 Colt. It has nearly identical dimensions to the Colt, but of course the action is modern with a safety transfer bar. I put stag grips on it and it's a real beauty. Love them both but really love the Colt. I don't gave anything against Uberti clones, in fact I'm considering buying a Winchester 1873 carbine clone, also in 45 Colt to go along with my Colt SAA.

12. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    There are some good copies coming out of Italy. I can't argue that point. However, my preference is for Ruger. They are great quality, tough as nails, and accurate. It doesn't have the mystique of a Colt, but it feels nearly as good and shoots better for 1/3 the price.

13. banger

banger

Nov 8, 2005
    Where evil lives
    Good thread...

I have wondered about the Beretta Stampede for some time.

Never did get a straight answer though.

14. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    As mentioned, Beretta doesn't make it. It is made for them. Save $50 by just buying a Uberti straight from the factory.

15. Caver 60

Caver 60

Jun 12, 2007
    Midwest
    Got one clone and three old model Rugers which still have clicks. But even then the old model Ruger hammers don't have that 'spur.' Still have to load five, if you're going to carry it hunting, etc. But I wouldn't let the Rugers be 'modified' for anything.

16. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Uberti revolvers are nice replicas for the price.

17. Nalapombu

Oct 21, 1999
    Spring, TEXAS....USA
    Thanks all for the info. I have checked out a few of the models you all suggested and to me, they all look great. Those Taylor's Smoke Wagons are really nice.

What I am unclear about is that most of these clones are made by Uberti in Italy. Take the Smoke Wagons. What makes them better than the Uberti branded version? The Smoke Wagons have nice grips, but is that it? Do they have an action job on them or something? If we are talking about just basic clones, nothing added to them or souped up, what makes a Uberti better or worse than say a standard EMF that is also made by Uberti and shipped to them for them to put their name on?

Lastly, I have been told that the USFA Rodeo is the SAME exact pistol as their 1873 Deluxe versions that are priced at more than 1K. The more expensive versions have better grips and deluxe finishes on them. If all these other clones are at the $600 level, I would probably just wait a month and add another $75 and get the Rodeo. Would you all think the best choice if you were going to be at the $600 level would be the Rodeo rather than one of the Italian clones?

Thanks again.

Nalajr

18. Nalapombu

Oct 21, 1999
    Spring, TEXAS....USA
    One other thing, I WILL have a Ruger New Vaquero after I get a Peacemaker. Then I want a Ruger Flat top blackhawk in 44Special with one of the Powers Grip frames to make it like a Keith #5. That would be my ideal hog hunting companion. If you have never seen one you owe it to yourself to check one out. They are absolutely beautiful wheelguns. The Power grip frame is kinda pricey though but it beats sending it to Linebaugh and having him do his magic on it to turn it into an Improved Keith #5. Of course the home job with the added grip frame cannot come close to comparing to the full house custom by John Linebaugh, but you aren't paying $4,000 for it either. Check 'em out if you like wheelguns. I'll post pics I have collected if anyone else is interested in seeing them.

Nalajr

19. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

Sep 4, 2006
    Not a clone and unloved by the purists, but I really do like Vaqueros. The New Vaquero with the smaller xr3 grip frame is a great six shooter, and frankly I don't mind not having a firing pin on the hammer. I like the transfer bar safety.

20. redcat11

redcat11

Nov 27, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    I have a Colt Peachmaker, but I also have a Ruger New Vaquero, and overall the fit and finish it is pretty close, I did some research for the Ruger, come to find out the numbers of Rugers sold was more than the Colt Peacemaker in its hay day, lot of cowboy action shooters utilize the Ruger due to its rugedness and ease of shooting.