close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What's a good mate for a Spike's lower?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by DieselNut, Jan 22, 2011.

1. DieselNut

DieselNut

May 21, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Any of you that have a spikes lower, what upper did you buy for it? How close does the finish match? Some contenders I'm looking at are spikes, bcm, yhm, dsa, rra, stag etc (with more consideration towards bcm since you all think highly of it) or I may buy a spikes upper and put a bcm barrel on it. Any ideas?

2. You're asking an extremely vague question.

ETA: Perhaps I misunderstood. There is no way to tell what finishes will match up unless you have both pieces in your hand. Finish color and upper/lower fit vary even between uppers and lowers of the same manufacturer.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011

3. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    They'll all vary between individual specimens of the same brand.

Short answer: It doesn't really matter as far as fit/finish goes, it's a crapshoot.

4. DieselNut

DieselNut

May 21, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Oh..... I had no idea. Thanks for the info

5. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    It can be a crap shoot, even amongst two halves of the same make at times. That said, you would be surprised how closely two completely different brands can mate.

Reason being, there are only a handful of forges out there producing all of the receivers out there for everyone. Also, quality and spec "can" vary but these days most everyone out there is getting out good stuff. Even many of the "lower tier" manufacturers use as good a stripped receiver as the best company's, and in many cases get it from the same place as another.

What you should be more concerned with is getting a quality barrel, BCG, and features that will fit your desired specifications and needs.

If you are looking for the best reliability, companies like LMT, BCM, Colt, etc... tend to be the ones that people discuss.

6. tbone86

tbone86

May 12, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I put a DPMS upper on my spikes lower and the fit is very tight and snug, no need for an accuwedge. But if I had to do it all over again I would have gone with a BCM mid length upper....

7. DieselNut

DieselNut

May 21, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Oh yeah. Thats it right there LOL :rofl:

8. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Sure,....if you are building a mailbox post.

9. Flashbang1063

Flashbang1063

Nov 30, 2010
    NY
    I put a BCM mid-length upper on my spikes lower. Very little play and the color match is great.
    [​IMG]

ETA: When I was doing my build I wasn't even thinking color match....I was more concerned with getting a good barrel, BCG etc.....the color match was just a bonus.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  10. DieselNut

DieselNut

May 21, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I keep hearing more and more good things about BCM. I've been looking at alot if different uppers and so far BCM seems like it has a nice midlength I'm really leaning towards.

11. majette

majette

May 1, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    if you do not have the lower already, go for a complete bcm rifle. a local shop had one with a quad rail and it was very light and balanced, like they took a page from knight's.

12. DieselNut

DieselNut

May 21, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I already have a spikes lower. I got it from AIM for $79 shipped. I've got a DD LPK on order so far. I may build this one step by step still yet. I'm like a damn woman trying to figure out what shoes to wear on Saturday night.

13. bubbatime

bubbatime Jive Turkey!!

Oct 16, 2004
    FL
    I love my spikes lower / BCM upper / Daniel Defense parts kit.