Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

What's a good email client for Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by harrygunner, May 19, 2013.

1. harrygunner

Sep 4, 2010
    A friend's new laptop came with that OS and apparently, its email client limits which servers it will communicate with. Her email service is not on the list.

Is that true? If someone has an IMAP account at is there a way to configure Windows 8 email for that server?

She's looking for a client that can import a M.S. Outlook .pst file.

I'm not into Windows. I'm suspecting PST is a proprietary format that other clients can't import.

She tried Thunderbird since it's free, but that client has no support for PST importing.

Perhaps, she needs to buy Outlook for the new laptop.

Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. Thunderbird does import Outlook and Outlook Express folders.

3. harrygunner

Sep 4, 2010
    Thanks. This morning, she called to say she was able to use Thunderbird.

I'm giving second hand information, hers. Apparently, Thunderbird can't import .pst files on its own. She was able to import the .pst file into Thunderbird by installing a trial version of Windows office suite.

Thunderbird needed Outlook to assist in the importing (probably takes advantage of an Outlook DLL). Once she transferred data to TBird, I told her to save a backup (export) from TBird just in case.
  4. 1955mercury

Nov 30, 2011
    Hey Harrygunner. is free. No need to buy it. Outlook is just a revised Hotmail. They just changed it some and named it Outlook.
  5. harrygunner

Sep 4, 2010
    Hi '1955mercury'. Thanks for the info. is a service that's accessed with a web browser.

She was looking for a client side application that connects to traditional SMTP/POP3/IMAP email servers. She has existing accounts that she needed to access from her new Windows 8 laptop.

She succeeded in her struggle to get Thunderbird set up.
  6. OK, that makes sense. I'm glad she got it running.

Thunderbird is my favorite email client, the closest thing to the original unbloated Outlook Express.
  7. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

Feb 25, 2007
    NW Missouri
    I have setup thunderbird for some clients who need pop3 access or additional features, but the built-in mail app does support imap.
  8. harrygunner

Sep 4, 2010
    Hi. There are two qualifiers in " IMAP account at". Apparently one can't chose a server that's not on a list the Win8 client presents. (Is that true? That would be amazing.)

That was the original issue. Her email accounts were not on the list.

A decent email client has fields where you enter the server's URL. Perhaps M.S. wants people to buy its office suite.

But, fortunately, Thunderbird worked. Thanks.
  9. This link explains how to setup an IMAP account under Win 8. The trick is to hit the "Add an Account" button on the account settings screen. Then select the "Other account".

How to Add IMAP Email Accounts to the Mail App in Windows 8

You can setup a POP account the same way.

If your using Thunderbird there is a way to import PST files into it.

Import Outlook PST Files into Thunderbird with PST Import
    Last edited: May 25, 2013
  10. harrygunner

Sep 4, 2010
    'sbhaven' Thanks for the link. I'll pass that on to her.

I was curious about that plugin. I noticed it and downloaded it when she first asked about importing a PST file. But I didn't give that to her given its age and the versions of Thunderbird it specifies. Does it work with Thunderbird 17? If so, I'll keep it around, in case another friend has the same problem.
  11. Don't know if that app works with Thunderbird 17 as I don't use Thunderbird. If it doesn't work there is always the various options explained at this link.

MozzilaZine: Import .pst files