close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What year did you go through Boot Camp? Platoon #

Discussion in 'The US Marine Corps Forum' started by akapennypincher, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Bandit 1

Bandit 1

Jul 9, 2013
    Fantastic ! Do you recall your score?

2. Johnxuga

Johnxuga

Jul 2, 2013
    1998 Parris Island
    3rd BN
    India Company
    Plt 3104

3. GJHIII

GJHIII

Oct 20, 2012
  4. Ftttu

Ftttu

Dec 19, 2011
    Texas
    It wasn't great, but it was better than all the other J-heads in the company. I just got home from an oil service trip to motor pool after a graveyard shift so I'm going to crash soon. I will check later tonight for you. Off the top of my head, it was 239.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  5. Bandit 1

Bandit 1

Jul 9, 2013
    239 with an M16A1 is very respectable.
    Great instructors and or instruction often helps.

As an instructor myself I have taught Hunter's Safety, Junior clinics, Instruction details as a member of the USMC Rifle Team and USMC Pistol Team. Went Double Distinguished and retain High-Master status at long range discipline. Broke the Service Palma record, but alas I lost some along the way...

Lost a shoot off for the Wimbledon Cup

---and---

I shot well in boot camp, but got beat by a fellow recruit that my DI's placed under my tutelage.
    Came in second in my Platoon, Series, and Company, right behind YOU!!
    Know who this is ?
    To this day I take great pride in your accomplishment, I shot a 236, you shot a 239. Salute.

6. Ftttu

Ftttu

Dec 19, 2011
    Texas
    Bandit, I missed my M16 so much I ordered an AR-15 A2 with a match grade barrel back in the '90s. Loved it, but sold it after a while since I didn't have any shooting buddies. Also, we couldn't carry ARs at the time until after the Hollywood bank robbery made all chiefs think again about firepower. For about the last 10 years, I had an issued AR until I got a new toy for this Father's Day-a Ruger SR-556 piston driven AR. I'm already carrying it on duty.

I just got a new sight for it today, but it is for relatively close combat compared to anything to be used out to 500 meters like at Edson Range. I was about to get the Eotech EXPS3 or 512/552, but the cheaper and muli-reticled Lucid HD7 won out since wifey was making really mean faces at me.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  7. Bandit 1

Bandit 1

Jul 9, 2013
    Small world... even smaller Platoon !

Guide from day 2 through week 9... < politics when a squad leader has high ranking relatives and associates of the series commander attending graduation:mememe: NOT the replacement guide's fault mind you.

You are the only fellow recruit I've crossed paths with. Great to hear from you.

Not many of us. Graduating 28 recruits, with 6 D.I.'s (start to finish) wonder any of us lived.

• Graduating SDI- GySgt Powers
    • Tentative SDI - GySgt Detloff
    • GySgt Smith
    • SSgt White
    • Sgt Johnson
    • Cpl Bullock

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  8. Ftttu

Ftttu

Dec 19, 2011
    Texas
    I remember the platoons after us were huge since the recruits were from schools letting out for the summer. Our platoon size got to the point where we couldn't hide in the crowd. Everyone's personality was known by all.

9. Bandit 1

Bandit 1

Jul 9, 2013
    Always felt like some recruits of potentially high caliber were unnecessarily canned, but so it goes. Hard to gauge a teenager, or any man to the fullest extent when his nature is neither fully formed and worse still, based upon highly suppressed confines of expression.

10. Ftttu

Ftttu

Dec 19, 2011
    Texas

Just like in my LEO agency, the Corps has a system of cliques. Fairness and justice in the Corps may have been a worthy goal, but it was rarely achieved. I'm like a boy scout, trying to live my life like I want my kids to live their's. We made it through recruit training better men than when we entered which helped us to better identify these injustices.

11. Bandit 1

Bandit 1

Jul 9, 2013
    Truer words could not be writ.
    Well put.
    Please stay in touch Sir.
    Miss you Brother!

12. Ftttu

Ftttu

Dec 19, 2011
    Texas
    Wowy! That was before I was even born. At the end of this month, it will have been 30 years since Bandit 1 and I graduated recruit training. 51 years ago? Just wowy!

Semper Fidelis to you!

13. skoro

skoro

Jun 18, 2013
    Texas
    OCS Quantico, Jan - Mar 1975

Delta Co
    4th Platoon

14. JBelew

JBelew

Oct 15, 2010
    Farmington, AR
    Plt 2081 MCRD San Diego
    Fox Co.
    July-Oct 2000

15. 1stMAW

1stMAW

Aug 9, 2011
    I will never forget the names of my Drill Instructors, Lead Drill Instructor-GYSgt R.E. Marx, 130 lbs of pure hell! S/Sgt Vaughn, Sgt. Poore were the other two. My Platoon
    (167) was the Honor Platoon, and will most humbly add I was the "Outstanding recruit" and was awarded the "Dress Blues award"...1968 was a loooong time ago...Didn't do me much good in Nam though....

16. 30S13

30S13

Sep 30, 2013
    VA
  17. druryj

druryj

Mar 20, 2010
    MCRD San Diego Oct 71, Plt 3113

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013