What would you recommend for a SHTF axe/cutting tool?

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by usmc4641, Feb 10, 2013.

1. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist
    CLM

A saw is used for making long things short. An axe or hatchet will excel at limbing and felling trees. I have a Junglas and it's a fine tool but my axe is better for chopping. I've got a nice Silky pruning saw that rockets through limbs but it can't remove them from a tree faster than my axes nor would a folding saw be the best choice from cutting them down.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Gerber hatchet. I've had mine for probably 10 years. Its light and holds its edge.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. The Fiskars hatchets are great. They are the Glocks of the axe/ hatchet world.
    [​IMG]

4. My brother has a gerber. I sharpened it for him and it took a decent edge. Sucks he doesn't have a sheath for it. A sheath less axe is almost useless. Dangerous to walk around with a sharp axe. I have heard great things of the new fiskars. I just love old school wood handles.

View attachment 231373

5. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist
    CLM

Gerber...Fiskars... same company. I've not been impressed with their products for a number of years now. I do still enjoy their scissors however.

6. Ugly and square?:rofl:
    Actually not a bad looking hatchet.