What would you recommend for a SHTF axe/cutting tool?

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by usmc4641, Feb 10, 2013.

1. usmc4641

usmc4641 NRA member

In Iraq I carried a simple Estwing Drywall Axe. It served both as a hammer and a cutting edge. Sweet and simple. Are there better options out there? I am looking for something that would get me through moderate barriers to splitting wood. What say you all?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Commander Recommends NO JAIL for Everyone's Favorite TRAITOR and COWARD...Bowe Bergdahl The Okie Corral Saturday at 11:16 PM
    Smaller grip recommendation for Ruger LCR GATE Self-Defense Forum Friday at 7:10 PM
    Gas weed wacker/edger recommendations The Okie Corral Oct 4, 2015
    Wireless Earbud Recommendations? - workout The Okie Corral Oct 1, 2015
    Valerie Jarrett: WH Issued ‘Guidance’ to Clinton Recommending She Use Official Email Political Issues Sep 30, 2015

3. Depends on how you want to use it.
    If you're talking for a fixed location, like your home, I'd say a crowbar for moderate barriers of the urban construction and a chainsaw for cutting wood.
    If you're talking about a catch all, I like Cold Steel tomahawks.

4. 1st..thanks for doing what you do for us.

2nd..two words...Gransfor Bruks. with axes, i like them Old school. some blacksmith hammering out a tool with his expertise..backed up with 150 years of tradition.

not so sure how it would do going thru a barricade..so maybe a council tool (made in the USA) pickhead axe? like the fireman carry..but smaller.

just sharpened it today!! it would shave your legs.
  5. I would go with the "Truckers Friend"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CARzaGzCW8"]Trucker's Friend Axe Review, Fun, Path of Destruction - YouTube[/ame]
  6. Toml

Another Gransfor Bruks fan. Wear gloves.
  7. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

The SOG tomahawk is pretty nice for hiking, easy to port and fairly lightweight. I like mine, fits an ice axe loop just fine.
  8. how do you carry it without a sheath? does it come with one?
  9. I'm more a fan of the modern Fiskars/Gerber hatchet tools. They don't have looks but they do have durability and function.
  10. My vote is for C-4 and det cord.
  11. RLB

Thank you for your service to our country.
    Another vote for the Fiskars. I have one that came out shaving sharp. I have used it to cut limbs over 2 inches diameter. 1 to 2 swings and the limb is severed. Easy to use.
    #11 RLB, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  12. I carry a Bear Grylls Gerber parong in the tool box on my truck. It is a heavy duty machete and it works very well. For anything bigger I use a full sized axe. The truckers friend does look good. I am going to check one out for sure.
  13. Honestly, I'd have to go with the Crovel.

The maxed out version is like 40 tools in one.

I saw this on Doomsday Preppers last year. The episode was about the guy who actually invented it.
    #13 GLOCK19FTW, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  14. Crazy! Since zombies are rare and general random apocalypse almost as rare. Wouldn't you want a tool you could use until then? Like for actual camping and chopping wood? That crovel looks useless. It looks like a shovel.
  15. Yes, it is a shovel... and a lot of other things.. lol didn't you read the description or watch the video demonstration?
  16. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist

"P" for plenty.

I've got a leather handle wrapped Estwing hatchet and I just picked up the Wetterling Expedition Axe.

Both are light and dependable and easy to pack.

I have the SOG Tomahawk and the steel is very soft and would be my least recommended tool.

I have both the Cold Steel Rifleman's Hawk and the Trench Hawk. Of the two the rifleman's hawk is the better tool while the Trench Hawk would make a fine weapon.

Out of all of them I would chose the Wetterling for getting the job done followed closely by the Estwing and then CS Rifleman. Wood handles can be field fabricated if broke or a longer handle installed as needed and the Estwing has a steel handle that could be re-wrapped if the leather rots away or is damaged.

The real question is what do you expect to chop and then choose the tool.
  17. HEY..syntax. i just got my Wetterlings Wildlife hatchet this past friday. i touched up the edge and almost cut myself. it is a razor. fit/finish isnt so great compared to my Gransfor Bruks..but first time i hack apart the chest cavity of an elk..i assume the "new axe look" will be a thing of the past.

great tool!! i am taking it hunting, and downsizing my knife.
  18. i couldnt make it past the video. you couldnt chop down a tree with it. i watched two skater types chop down a 2x4. ooookkkaaay.
  19. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist

Very cool. I've not handled the Gransfor Bruks but it gets good reviews.
  20. If you are bugging out to the woods to stay safe and not busting through the city like Stallone, a folding saw and a good knife like the ESEE 3 would be good. Or sub the saw for a machete or the super cool ESEE Junglas. If you aren't familiar with ESEE, they have a lifetime no questions asked warranty and really good resale value if you don't like it.

ETA: recommendations on the idea of multiuse and lightness. Stay safe and light. :)
    #20 SoldMyHat, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013