Glock Talk banner

What would you do?

3K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  GRIMLET 
#1 ·
Okay this was a recent event I was involved in as a responder. d/t privacy laws this will be VAGUE. This event takes place in New York State (not city), Urban/Suburban Mega-retail store.

A call was received for a MWAG in the store. Witnesses report someone walking around the store with a pistol in a holster ranting and talking to themselves and inanimate objects. when LEO's make contact the guy becomes verbally abusive to them and reports the "gun" is a pellet gun. The LEO's take the pellet gun and handcuff the man. He is taken to a local hospital under MHA (Mental Hygine Arrest) for treatment.

Now this bothered me. On one half I'm upset that a MWAG call set this in motion and the guy has his liberty deprived simply because he was (apparently) legally carrying a pellet gun. On the other hand I would have likely called the guy in myself for the erratic behavior and the potential weapon. If we take the Mental Illness out and this is plain wrong.

I'm just wondering about my fellow GT'ers thoughts and ideas. Especially LEO, and EMS friends.

#2 ·
When I see people acting crazy, whether they are armed or not, I get away from them as fast as possible.

I’ve thought people were talking to themselves before, very animated hand gestures and all, only to find out they were using a Bluetooth I had not seen earlier. Either way, I wouldn’t be making a call on something like that.

#3 ·
I think that the Aurora shooting has made people a bit more jittery around someone who is openly carrying a handgun and talking crazy. I'm not sure if I would have called 911, I probably would have told a store employee and gotten the heck outta there.

#4 ·
Called cops.
Maintained cover position.
Monitored principal. If he pulled the gun I would have acted as trained.

DROP YOUR WEAPON! DROP YOUR WEAPON! DROP YOUR WEAPON! DROP YOUR WEAPON! DROP YOUR WEAPON!

#6 ·
Okay this was a recent event I was involved in as a responder. d/t privacy laws this will be VAGUE. This event takes place in New York State (not city), Urban/Suburban Mega-retail store.

A call was received for a MWAG in the store. Witnesses report someone walking around the store with a pistol in a holster ranting and talking to themselves and inanimate objects. when LEO's make contact the guy becomes verbally abusive to them and reports the "gun" is a pellet gun. The LEO's take the pellet gun and handcuff the man. He is taken to a local hospital under MHA (Mental Hygine Arrest) for treatment.

Now this bothered me. On one half I'm upset that a MWAG call set this in motion and the guy has his liberty deprived simply because he was (apparently) legally carrying a pellet gun.
Here in NY, we aren't allowed open carry. ALL permits are for concealed-carry only.

#7 ·
If we take the Mental Illness out and this is plain wrong.
And I would agree ... but mental illness was NOT taken out. World is too screwed up a place for taking chances.

#8 · (Edited)
Well, if you were 110-percent certain before the cops showed up that the holstered gun was a pellet gun, you should have walked up to the guy and told him to take his carp and get the fruck off the property. NOW!

Yes, even apparently crazy people will sometimes respond positively to assertive behavior. But sometimes not. :dunno:

Otherwise, hind sight is '20-20 safe' and IDK.

#10 ·
Look if someone is acting very abnormal and is packing heat it is your duty to notify law enforcement. I know I know why is it my job to get involved........what if the cops end up killing the guy, I'll feel responsible..........what if you don't and he injures or kills himself or some poor person walking by? The what if's are everywhere.....get the guy off the street or at least have him checked out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.