close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What would I need to make my Glock be able to shoot underwater?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by INEEDMILK, Mar 21, 2012.

1. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

I've Googled a bit and have come across a wide range of prices. I've seen the Maritime Firing Pin on sale for around $30. But then there are kits for the entire conversion that cost over $100?

What is needed to fully convert my Glock to be able to fire rounds underwater?

And why don't I hear more people talking about this? Is this is a bad mod? Does it make the gun less reliable? Is it even practical?

It's unlikely I'd ever be in a situation where I would need to shoot something from under water, but if I could spend $50 or $100 to make it have that ability without losing its on-ground reliability, it would say "why not?".

2. TankerMax

TankerMax

I think I read all you need are the underwater spring cups. Don't know of anything else.

3. Chowser

Chowser

You need to buy the HK P11 to shoot underwater.

:rofl:

j/k.

Glock makes maritime spring cups to use in environments where there is a greater chance for your gun to get submerged or water in it. It allows the water to move around the firing pin.
    Most people say get the cups and waterproof primed ammo (FMJ only) and to drain all the water out of the barrel.

Unless you go swimming with the sharks, I wouldn't even worry about it. I have a few sets of maritime cups sitting in the safe from way back when guys wanted me to install them. Like they plan on jumping into a swimming pool to shoot someone. Just shoot them from the side of the pool. My gun works just fine when wet. If I ever came out of the water and had to shoot someone, the gun will probably drain itself when I climbed out of the pool. No lakes or HIGH rivers where I work.

IMO, save your money. Places are charging outrageous prices for these cups. I think they were like $2 direct from Glock for L.E. agencies.

4. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

The bullet will only travel about 3-6ft if you fire a hand gun under water. A bullet fired under water from a high powered rifle travels about 15ft before it falls on the bottom.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MA1IFKwdAQ&feature=related"]Shooting an ar15 assault rifle .223 underwater - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  5. Kaonashi

Kaonashi

I coudn't find the video of the Mythbusters shooting into the water with the pistol (I know the rifle shot is up on Youtube) but if I remember the episode correctly, shooting into the water from the surface you get a few feet at most with a pistol before the bullet fragments and sinks. Pretty much as soon as it hits the water it loses most of its momentum and all of it's aerodynamic properties making it pretty much useless as a weaon.

6. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Beat me to it. It's almost pointless.

7. rilkil23

rilkil23

Don't forget your Aquaman Underoos

8. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

All you need is a bad case of stupid.:upeyes:

9. Keyhole

Keyhole

Tommy Lee Jones

10. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Or get a Beretta or a Sig. :whistling:

I have a "shooting underwater" video. The guy's GLOCKs were not 100% underwater, but the Sig and Taurus (Beretta copy) shot just fine. In all fairness, he did admittedly have trigger work done to his "carry" GLOCK. Perhaps a lighter striker spring could have been the issue. :dunno:

11. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

That was a great episode. I particularly liked the part where they fired the .50 BMG and it practically emptied the pool, yet the bullet broke apart before even hitting the target that was a few feet below the surface.

There are some rifle bullets that can travel longer distances underwater, but I suspect they're too expensive for mere mortals to use.

The 5.56mm dual-core SC round has an accurate range of 15 meters underwater. The 7.62mm NATO dual-core SC round has an effective 25 meter range underwater. And, the .50 BMG/12.7x88mm NATO dual-core SC round can achieve 60 meters under water.

There are three versions of the DSG MEA 7.62mm supercavitating round: General Purpose Supercavitating, Dual Core Supercavitating, and Armor Piercing/Armor Penetrating (AP) Supercavitating.

There are two versions of the .50BMG/12.7mm round: Super Sniper Tactical (SST) and Dual Core Supercavitating.

12. 8th ID

8th ID

:rofl::rofl:

13. Mombo

Mombo

Just a prosthetic hand to replace the one you're about to blow off.

14. SystemaEncephale

SystemaEncephale

And then there is this video in regards to a Glock shooting after being submerged.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIz8Gljfjw8"]Glock Fail - YouTube[/ame]

All though, it is interesting to note that the shooter did state that his carry gun is a Glock.

Here is the slightly longer version showing them putting sand and dirt in the gun first. Which, after doing so it fired fine.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srg4nwVv6go"]Beretta M92FS VS Gen 4 Glock 17: Torture Test - YouTube[/ame]

Oh, and it is a Gen 4 17 not an OD Gen 3. They had the frame color duracoated. That is the only alteration of the gun, so they claim.

There is another video of them installing maritime spring cups AFTER they made this test video. In the near future they are going to re-test the Glock with the spring cups installed.

15. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

Because for normal everyday carry having the ability to shoot underwater is completely useless, and most Glocks will function fine while submerged even without the maritime spring cups installed.

The maritime spring cups have channels cut into them to allow water to drain, so this makes them inherently weaker by design then the stock spring cups.

A fool and his money are soon parted. Save your money and buy more magazines and ammo, far more useful then gimmicky after market mods. ;)

16. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

I dunno.. seems like just the thing in case you run into an ill tempered sea bass, or sharks with frickin' LASERS! Throw me a bone here..

17. Zertek

Zertek

18. Prince Herman

Prince Herman

One spring cup = two halves.
    Spring cups are made of polymer and are wear items.
    Spring cups are replaced in pairs.
    Marine Spring Cups ($2 from Glock) are restricted to L.E. only; but can be gotten elsewhere for +$15; are designed to allow water to drain from the firing pin channel; are not designed to allow the pistol to fire under water and; are thinner than standard spring cups and wear faster.

19. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Don't laugh. I remember watching a South Carolina Fisheries Management video in which a diver with a POV camera was slowly swimming near the bottom in about 50 feet of water.

He claims he 'felt something weird' and turned around to see hundreds of Black Sea Bass following him. It was pretty creepy.

Kind of like that scene in Jurassic Park (?) where the Campys are following (and finally eat) the guy in the creek.

20. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

...oh wait, you guys are serious?