close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What would cause this and should i be concerned?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by rookiehwm, Feb 27, 2013.

1. rookiehwm

rookiehwm

Aug 24, 2012
    [​IMG]

Took apart the 1911 to clean/oil and notice this on the rail. Not sure what it is but is it cause for concern? Looks like a tooling mark but not sure..

2. B.Reid

B.Reid

Jun 20, 2005
    Montana
    Is that a new gun or has that just happened? It does not look good to me.

3. rookiehwm

rookiehwm

Aug 24, 2012
    It's a used gun, not sure when it happened. It's not as deep as it looks and the slide is still sliding like glass so i don't know what to make of it, no matching marks on the slide rails..possible it came from the factory with that?

4. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    Looks like surface rust. Oil it and wipe the rust off. Keep an oil film on the steel.

5. rookiehwm

rookiehwm

Aug 24, 2012
    i was talking about the gouge around the hole/on the rail :) Sorry, i should have clarified.

6. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    Can't tell.... is that as deep as it looks? Probably won't affect anything, but that's one of the few instances it would bother me knowing it's there. Is that a Sig?

7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Looks like a hack-gunsmith "relieved" a burr after rep inning the
    ejector. While it looks like ****, I would be more concerned about
    blending that burr/gouge on the frame rail. As long as they get
    blended, they will be fine. Look like crap, but will not effect function.

8. rookiehwm

rookiehwm

Aug 24, 2012
    that was my thought. So far it doesn't seem to affect function. The gun feels really nice aside from that, so i just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to explode into a ball of gas flames and unicorns next time i shoot it.

9. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    Wow that looks terrible.

I had Springfield install a new ejector for me on one of my guns, and they didn't have to grind on it a bit. As said above that was done by some hack that knows not what he does.

10. gunsmoke92

gunsmoke92

Jul 22, 2005
    Rigby, Idaho
    Take a fine file, dress the bur, oil her up, and shoot the tar out of it. The travesty is the area where the ejector was re-pinned, but this too shall pass.

11. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon
  12. Maine

Maine

Sep 19, 2009
    What does the slide look like inside? Any damage?

13. clarkz71

clarkz71

Aug 24, 2012
    South Florida
    Must be one of those "bargain" 1911's. I've never seen
    anything like that.

14. DRJ1911

DRJ1911

Jun 30, 2011
    I had a Sig 1911 that had the same thing. I sent it back for repair and all was well.

Doyle

15. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    Looks like one of the pins that secures the ejector got pulled through, or out of the frame. The hole suggests the ejector is being held without all the pins in place. Is that possible?

Or, the ejector has been replaced with one that has different pin locations than the one that was originally attached to the frame.

Other than the integrity of the ejector, it seems a blemish in that location is inconsequential.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  16. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    What I see is some nut bag that went crazy with a dremel and cutting disk.

Why?

Only said nut bag would know.

I have a gun that had a poorly pinned ejector. The pin they used was a split pin that wasn't much wider than the front leg of the ejector. It made it appear that the gun had two different diameter holes drilled into it. One on each side. I could see someone seeing something like that and trying to open up one side not realizing the hole was really the same size as the other, it only looked smaller because of the tiny split pin that was flush fit on one side.

Now the gun has a well fit ejector pinned in place with full length solid pin.

17. cciman

cciman

Jan 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Shoot it, and come back in 50 years and tell us if it is still working. Or replace the ejector and pin, and come back in 100 years.

18. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon
    The OP seems to have runn-oft without letting us know the frame manufacture.

19. Yep that's the ejector pin hole. It looks horrible. Hope it's not as deep as my 2-D photo leads me to believe.

He can live without the pin. I think the original 1911 didn't have a pin there. It was held by the slide. Loc-title is my main ejector looking mechanism. But man that looks like pi$$.

Marky

20. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy