Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

What Will The NRA ADD?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by m51, Dec 19, 2012.

1. m51

Jan 26, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  2. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas
    They have a press conference set for 21 Dec.
    We'll see.

I'm expecting to hear the NRA use the "compromise" word more than once.

Compromise means we'll give up some gun rights, if the anti-gunners will promise not to take all our gun rights.

Compromise is just surrender on the installment plan.

3. The NRA will submit our gun freedoms and then tell us how it could have been much worse.
  4. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    Obama also had his Debt Commission. How'd that work out?
  5. fx77

fx77 CLM

Nov 23, 2008
    Appeasement as per Winston Churchill is feeding the alligator a little at a time hoping he will eat U last.
  6. m51

Jan 26, 2006
    Looks like they want to push this through as fast as possible, I just hope The NRA can inject some knowledge, i.e. stock configurations, muzzle breaks, and the other things that made no sense in the last weapons ban.
  7. Gundude

Mar 7, 2003
    I love when politicians admit how idiotic the whole process is, then say "but this time it's different."
  8. Ahh yes, the NRA will help create that "sensible gun control" we hear so much about.
  9. Calhoun123

Sep 20, 2005
    I really fear the NRA is going to pre-emptively surrender our rights without a fight.

If they were smart they would propose many things focused on mental health such as changes to the 4473 to ask more mental health questions.

They would propose some manner by which people could place loved ones with real mental health issues on "NICS" watch lists. There would have to be an associated adjudicative process to prevent abuse.

They could propose a new class of firearms (maybe title 5) that would include ARs and AKs and associated mags. You would get a permit to purchase renewable every 5 years. Ownership would not be restricted, just new purchases. Have the permit be statutorily cheap ($25) and require statutorily that the permit be granted within 30 days. Make the permit valid in all 50 states (worded to open up purchases in current "ban" states).

Somehow use the legislation to force the government to create an adjudicative process for vets currently denied gun purchases due to mental health treatment.

In short, give up virtually nothing (except maybe administrative hoops) while making it look like a big deal and quietly use the legislation to undo some current problems. It may sound stupid to some here, but it beats 1994 ban 2.1.
  10. Since the NRA represents the firearms industry rather than the individual firearms owners, I expect them to cave on the "gun show loophole" and require everyone to pay an ffl to transfer any firearm. That will mean that prices for transfers will go up.
  11. Hopefully, the 8000 new members per day and $300,000 per day of new funds flowing into their war chest will make them realize that the 'silent majority' want their gun rights defended.
  12. SunsetMan

SunsetMan Deplorable Lifetime Member

Call me very naive, but if we have the House why would an AWB bill go anywhere?
  13. HarleyGuy

Mar 29, 2008
    I believe background checks on all firearms purchases will be here, probably sooner than later.
  14. With a little "compromise" and "reaching across the aisle" from our wonderful Republican team.
  15. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    Or the one will try ta sneak an EO by us,as is his m/o.'08.
  16. TDC20

Apr 11, 2011
    From the OP's link:

"Obama said his task force's proposals would make up part of his State of the Union address, and he expressed hope that the searing images from last week's shooting in Connecticut would last in the public conscious and help advance his eventual proposals.

"I would hope that our memories aren't so short that what we saw in Newtown isn't lingering with us -- that we don't remain passionate about it, only a month later," he said."

Never let a good crisis go to waste, as Rahm would say.

And from the same link:

"Few Republicans have stepped forward to embrace any of these gun measures, though, and have focused instead on the need for improved mental health services, or school safety."

The NRA is adding 8000 members a day, and gun sales are soaring. Does anyone remember what happened to Clinton after the 1994 AWB? Maybe not, but I can guarantee you that the politicians remember it well.

I'm gifting at least 5 NRA memberships as soon as I can find 5 people who will take them. There's nothing that will worry the gun grabbing politicians more than to see the ranks of NRA membership on the rise.

For all of you willing to roll over, shame on you. At least make your voice a part of the conversation. Don't accept any compromise on anything, and let your elected representatives know your views and that you will be voting in 2014 and beyond. I honestly believe that our position is much stronger politically now than in 1994. We have added how many CCW states since then? More CCW permit holders, more new gun owners. Don't be so damned fatalistic. This was tried once before and it cost the Dems dearly. I honestly believe this will be Obama's Waterloo. His best political outcome is that NO new bans are passed. Otherwise, there will be political blowback of epic proportions.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  17. TDC20

Apr 11, 2011
    0bama also had a "Jobs Commmision" that met one time over a 6 month period while unemployment was at a crisis level. Pathetic.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  18. Foxtrotx1

Jan 29, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    Your correct, it's not. Everyone is just throwing in the towel. It's pathetic.
  19. Before we let that happen we should insist that anyone who passes a background check can get an ffl like it was pre-Clinton. Requiring a firearms business to get an ffl is just harassment meant to make purchasing a firearm less convenient and more expensive.
  20. TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    I've been scratching my head and wondering the same thing. And yet so many people are acting like it's already been talked about, written, re-written, re-re-written, and passed. :dunno: