What will a BRENNEKE 12-Gauge Slug Bring Down?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by ULVER, Mar 8, 2004.

1. ULVER

ULVER Dixie Rebel

Got a Marlin 695 Slug Gun... Just curious on opinion: What is the biggest game, this 12-Gauge will drop, with Magnum Brenneke Slugs>??? I can't see a shot at 100yrds. More like 50yrds. Good to go, for wild boar???;d

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    ? Brenneke Slugs Tactical Shotguns Apr 20, 2012
    Brenneke Tactical Home Defense? Tactical Shotguns Sep 2, 2010
    Best place to buy Brenneke slugs? (selection, price, service...) Tactical Shotguns Aug 16, 2010
    Effect of a 12-gauge slug on a steel target? Tactical Shotguns May 16, 2015
    WTB: Semi-auto 12-gauge shotgun (west-central IN) Wanted To Buy Nov 28, 2008

3. Alpha Male

Millennium Member

Q: "What will a Brenneke 12-gauge slug bring down?"

A: Anything you fire it at. Seriously. I have long been a proponent of this cartridge as a result of my observations of having shot game with it. I use the 2 3/4" inch load however. The slugs are not designed to expand, and significant deformation is not noted even when heavy bone is encountered. It is a hard alloy. The result is usually a one inch, perfectly straight wound channel. These slugs are seldom recovered from deer sized animals, even when shot lengthwise. I have seen over 4 feet of penetration through a single animal. Because of the squared off shoulder of the design, energy transfer and tissue destruction seem fairly optimally balanced with the extreme penetration. And they seem to kick a whole lot less than comprable domestically produced slugs. Accuracy with the shorter 2 3/4" loads is astounding. Out of a smoothbore slug barrel, they litterally land on top of one another at 50 yards. For big game under 100 steps, it is tops.

4. alpha male couldn't have said it any better.

The magnum 2.34" load in the 12ga is a great load and if you want something slight smaller , the 20ga offering is not bad either.

5. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Took the buffalo (pictured) attached below with a 12-gauge sabot slug that would have less penetration then the Brenneke slug you’re asking about… big enough game animal for ya? ;)

6. Anything in North America or South America. Don't know about elephant or cape buffalo in Africa -- can't think of anything else it would not kill. If you got a big enough trophy room, it would be interesting to go round the world and see how many species you could take with a 12 guage slug.

Send pics

7. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

That's what I'm planing to do! ;)

8. I use the 1 3/8 ounce 3" Brenneke slugs in a 590 A1, recoil is quite stiff and accuracy in my 590 is exceptional. Many of the Bow Hunters in the area use these in their shotguns (Bear defense) while Moose hunting. It is my understanding they work very, very well.;)

9. Mwinter

Mwinter I'm MilkMan Dan

The only sizeable game I've used them on was feral hogs; they worked very well. Accurate and plenty of power/performance.

Out of my work shotgun (M590A1GRS), they are honestly COM accurate at 100yds---the pepper poppers fall every time when I do my part. Funny thing is, the low-recoil Remington slugs honestly don't even make it to the target! I see them impact about 80-90yds downrange ;Q

Don't ask me how I know...but a Brenneke slug will pick up a talking TinkyWinky TeleTubbie wrapped in a IIIa vest and transport it backwards about 10 feet or so ;f

10. MrMurphy

MrMurphy *********
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

While I haven't shot any Brenneke slugs (can't find them around here much) I've shot a mess of Remington standard slugs and reduced recoil slugs. Out of my Benelli Nova SP 18.5" barrel with ghost ring sights, from the prone I routinely hit anywhere I feel like on a DPS human silhouette target from 100 yards. Head shots, nuts shots, ribcage, etc on call. Makes those "slugs are inaccurate" guys really annoyed. The huge hole in the target is nice too. And my Benelli has a stiff trigger. With a better one, I'd do even better. I'm a better shot at 50 and 75, but 100 yards doesn't scare me with slugs. :)

I know a guy who shot completely through a 300-lb wild pig with a standard Remington Slugger load (front to back) and another guy who shot a car engine and disabled it with two shots from his 12ga 1187 loaded with slugs ( so much for the getaway car! Nice arrest that one!)

11. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Forgive my ignorance but what is "COM accurate"? I am not familiar with the "COM" term. :) Thanks!

My M590A1GRS is my single most favorite weapon. The most versatile, wonderful gun period! Yeehaw!

12. Center Of Mass. Like on a human target where you should be shooting at.

13. Through a smoothbore barrel, the Brenneke/Rottweil type slugs can not be beat for velocity, trajectory, and accuracy. They are simply awesome in terms of the performance they can deliver out of a smoothbore barrel.

As stated however, be aware that there is basically ZERO bullet expansion.

Over the years I've shot several deer with 20g brenneke slugs and I've never had anything other than a perfectly round 1/2" exit wound regardless of where the deer was hit. This makes shot placement very important. If you miss the spine or any of the major organs, be prepared for potentially a very long walk to find your game, often with very little if any blood trail.

IF you do have a rifled barrel I would stick with hollowpoint sabots. Flatter shooting, higher velocity, better accuracy, and great expansion. My Browning BPS 12g rifled game gun with a 4x leupold scope can shoot 3" copper Federal/Barnes expander sabots thru the same hole at 100 yards..... and they always leave a big messy pie-plate sized exit wound. You can't kill things too dead in my book.

14. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Thanks!!!

15. ULVER

ULVER Dixie Rebel

Would the 12ga. with the Brenneke slugs be close to a 45-70 factory round?

I know a rural deputy, that has the Brenneke in his 870. He likes what it does to auto glass. Swears it beats the AR-15 he's issued.

Federal used to market a Foster-type 1-1/4th ounce slug. It was for smoothbores. I had it in my own 870, at the time. Always thought that was some SERIOUS hunk of lead to throw at a bad guy...:cool:

16. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

1oz (438-grains) of ‘lead’ making a ¾” hole on its entrance @ velocities (not sure what the Brenneke slug travels at) well in excess of 1,000fps does pretty well.

17. skeete

Millennium Member

We have some big wild ducks around here but I think that the 3,400 ft/lbs of muzzle energy of the super magnum 3" Brenneke should keep me safe. That is in the max 45-70 loading range.

18. The Brenneke Rottweil magnums (for rifled barrels) are 600 grain slugs, with a muzzle velocity of 1760 fps. I thinks this makes 3000 ft/lbs at the muzzle. Trumps nearly all 45-70 loads.

As for real world comparisons, a friend and myself shot two pigs in the last two weeks.
    His went down with a 300 gr factory 45-70 like it was hit by a truck.
    Mine went down with the above slug like it was hit by a larger truck.
    There is a tremendous amount of shock imparted to the pig from this slug round. When I get my pics back, I will post them. My shot plcement between the neck and shoulder was by no means perfect, but the pig died on the spot.

I would have no fears hunting anything in the USA with one of these slugs.

19. {The Brenneke Rottweil magnums (for rifled barrels) are 600 grain slugs, with a muzzle velocity of 1760 fps.}

Are you refering to the Black Magic? if yes where did you get yours? The distributors I spoke to where still trying to get then ordered.

20. Actually, I bought mine (not Black MAgic) about 2 years ago when Sportsmansguide had them on sale for $3 a box of 5.

I checked them this morning and the package says 600 grains, at 1760 fps.

I have not been able to find a source for them anymore, and they are no longer listed on the Brenneke USA website.

21. I have shot a few 3" 1oz/438gr Winchester slugs just for fun, and they pounded me pretty good. They are rated at 1760fps. I can't imagine what the 600gr slug at that velocity would be like!

Byt the way, 600gr @ 1760fps = 4126 ft/lbs energy by my calculations!!;P