close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What will a 40 S&W do that a 45acp +P won't

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Dalton Wayne, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
    I carry 45 acp, just wondering what the main advantage of the 45 over the 40 would be, not trying to start a cal war just the facts please

2. I think it makes a bigger hole and thus is not as dependent on expansion! The 45ACP+P is a step more powerful then the 45ACP and I prefere this. It generates more power then the 45ACP and much more power and knockdown ability then the 40.

It fires a bigger, heavier and faster slug and I prefer it. For CCW, however, I prefer the 40 Cal. The 40 comes in a smaller pistol and is nearly as powerful as the 45ACP but way behind the 45ACP+P IMHO.

As per your title of the thread, I am not referring to a 10MM.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

3. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

Jul 20, 2002
    here and there...
    And has an edge on capacity.. :whistling:

4. Danny Reid

Danny Reid

Sep 11, 2005
    Compared to the 45 ACP+P, the only advantage I see for the 40 S&W is higher magazine capacity.

5. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

Jan 23, 2010
    Shreveport, La.
    Capacity ---- very important in a panicked defense situation, the last 2-3 rounds could save your life... The slight power difference, negligable a best...

6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    45 still needs expansion to be as effective as it can be. The idea that a .45 hole is going to be noticeably better than a .40 hole is ridiculous. All other things being equal every little bit helps but everything is not equal.

7. J_P

J_P

Jun 25, 2010
    Texas
    Some would argue that the snappy recoil of the .40S&W negates the capacity that it has over the .45ACP due to faster follow up shoots. IMO if you practice with YOUR weapon it should not matter, whatever you can shoot the best for yourself.

8. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    I like the .45 ACP... and the .40 S&W. Either is a fine choice for personal protection/home defense, etc. In the Glock, the .40 S&W is just about ideal. I've fired 1,000's of rounds of it and never found it lacking. On the other hand, I've been shooting 1911 .45 ACP pistols for 30 years. With the very good quality JHP ammo currently available, the .45 ACP is just about ideal for personal protection and home defense. I've never been impressed with the +P loads. I don't see that they offer much over the standard loads. But then I don't go around shooting water jugs on the other side of car doors and refrigerators. This afternoon I had a goood time firing my 9mm Beretta and my Rock Island Armory .45 ACP. Either would be very good for the above mentioned usages. In fact, if it came down to it, the 9mm Beretta would be very useful indeed... about like the .40 S&W or the .45 ACP. There is very little difference between them. The .40 would offer a little better capacity and penetration. For those who favor sow heavy bullets, the .45 would get the nod. The Glock 21 would allow good capacity.

9. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    Not a lot of difference, just pick what you like! :supergrin:

10. glock20c10mm

glock20c10mm

Dec 4, 2004
    Out West
    IMO the pros/cons of each cancel out and leave them on equal ground overall.

After that it's just as simple as choosing which way the individual prefers the pros/cons to stack up, and pick one.

11. dvrdwn72

dvrdwn72

Nov 26, 2010
    .40 s&w is cheaper than the .45. Unless you reload, but then if you reload, you would want a .40, so you can load 10mm too! It's about equal between the .40 and .45

12. W.E.G.

W.E.G.

Sep 20, 2005
    all over Virginia
    Fits in the same size Glock frame as the G17 and more rounds.

What's not to like?

13. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011
    Word on the street is that SWAT officers using the Fed. 230 gr. HST +p are saying it's the closest thing they've seen to a "death ray" and no, I don't even own .45 ACP & haven't since 2009. Just passing on what I've read. :whistling:

14. I'm getting to the age where I have a little arthritis and the 230+p flat out hurts my wrist. It's hard for me to shoot more than a single magazine. I don't own 40 figuring that one step larger and one smaller should cover everything it can do.

15. automan

automan

Jan 26, 2007
    NVA
    Less barrel wear, bigger hole, better recoil control, more weapons chambered for 45 auto than 40 S&W, more .45 auto manufacturers' availability and variety. More likely to find 45 auto overseas than 40 S&W.

16. Leigh

Leigh

May 22, 2000
    Eastern Kentucky

17. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    Back when bullets didn't expand reliably the 45 had the pre-expansion advantage.

Today, with high tech ammo,
    (Winchester Ranger T-Series, Speer bonded GDHP, Federal HST)
    I see no advantage to 45 over 40 at all.

Update:
    40 has the advantage of higher capacity, smaller platform and
    less recoil. That's why it out numbers 45 by a wide margin with LE.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  18. dpadams6

dpadams6

Jan 5, 2010
    Most of the statistics I have seen. The 45 is no better than the 40. In fact, I've seen more 40 rounds in the 90%+ than the 45.....

19. glock20c10mm

glock20c10mm

Dec 4, 2004
    Out West
    On my 1st go around I miscomprehended what your specific question was.

You want to know the MAIN advantage(s) of the 45 over the 40.

Or more/less; Does 45 Auto have an advantage over 40S&W, and if so, what is it or what are they.

I would generally say no. Equal in many cases, but not better the vast majority of the time. The exception comes in when singling out maybe the top 2 or 3 loads that give maximum expanded diameter in 45. And if you're not carrying one of them (most notably HST) then you're out of advantages of the 45 over 40 for all practical purposes whatsoever.

I mean...and keeping the discussion between 40 & 45...if you're not carrying 45 to theoretically poke the largest diameter hole, then WHY?

45 is NOT faster than 40.
    45 does NOT hit with more energy than 40.
    In most cases 45 does not out-expand 40 any amount worth mentioning.
    45 offers LESS round count in same size platforms compared to 40.
    45 recoils differently, but not generally less than 40.
    45 is NOT cheaper to shoot than 40.

At the end of the day, unless maybe your love for the 1911 platform is that great, and/or you choose to carry one of about three rounds in 45 that out-expand 40 to any extent worth mentioning, I have no idea why someone would carry 45.

And now to put my own personal twist on things; I would carry 9mm +P/+P+ before either 40 or 45. I would carry 357SIG before 9mm +P/+P+. And lastly I would and do carry 10mm Auto before all of them, and don't own a single one of any of the others. The only way that may change is if in the future I decide to purchase one of the micro-9s for the times my G29 is too large in some scenarios.

BTW, what is your platform of choice for the 45 Auto?

20. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Well the nature of the question is going to start some kind of caliber war. I also like the 45acp as my primary fighting round. Mostly because of the platform, I love the 1911. I am quite comfy carrying 9mm or 40 though, but as you go smaller, the choice of ammo is more critical IMO. The 45 will always be 45 even if the bullet fails to expand, it's still a pretty big hole.
    Downside, low ammo cap or bigger guns. The XDcompact is a good balance of rounds vs size. In states like Kalif, the mag cap isn't as big a factor; 10+1 max vs 8+1.:dunno: I am happy defending myself w/ either. It's always coming down to the shooter before the gun or ammo. If the shooter is up to speed & more than just capable, then I feel the larger frontal area & possible expanded dia/larger hole in the target gives a tiny edge to the 45acp. Many gunfights are won on the margins, I'll take that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.