close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What was your best duty station

Discussion in 'The US Air Force Forum' started by Firebob2917, May 21, 2012.

1. Aside from having been there for tech school (46 weeks), I'd have to say Lowry airfield.

TDY at England AB for 6 weeks prior to heading to DaNang was a good time. The PMEL shop was shorthanded and swamped. They requested a couple guys. By the time the request processed, they were all caught up so we really had just about nothing to do and got a lot of time off.

mgentry, here's one of your babies that made an unscheduled landing at DaNang in early 72 IIRC. Scuttlebutt had it that a SAM missile was stuck in the wing. No one ever confirmed that and nothing could be seen from our side of the base but it made for interesting conversation and speculation that we would be hit that night (we were not).

[​IMG]

2. Mr.Macaw

Mr.Macaw

Feb 25, 2012
    Kansas City Kansas
    My best duty station was Augsburg Germany back from 1972 to 1973. Got to explore all over Germany. I was a Navy CTR.

3. bikerGus

bikerGus

May 25, 2012
    Ubon, Udorn, Korat, UTapao... back in the day.

4. Highdesertjim

Highdesertjim

Aug 11, 2012
    Davis Monthan AFB Tucson AZ.
    4 wheeling. Rock climbing, firearms, open carry, horses,motorcycles,and almost no winter. Pretty girls in short shorts and halter tops. The town was small and such a good place to live. Duty ate a lot of time though. 24 hours in the silo, 2-3 times aweek, 8 per month, plus training and driving to the missile sites.

5. Critch

Critch

Jun 21, 2007
    SwampEast, MO
    Vandenberg AFB in 1974 and 1976. I still can't get over how much fun Southern California was in the 70s. Wyoming was great also, especially for the hunting and fishing and Denver was only about a 100 miles.

6. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Apr 5, 2007
    Utah
    My dad was Navy and then went to work for the AF at Hill. Did tons of work for the 388th. He built the first simulator for the F16. It is still in the Hill museum.

Glad you enjoyed your stay.

7. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

Nov 29, 2010
    DFW
    I really didn't have a favorite.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  8. RetDet

RetDet Millennium Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Best assignment as a dependent was Camp King, Oberursel, Germany. Best assignment for me: 54th MP Co, Fort Ord, California.

9. Dunnmike

Dunnmike

Sep 5, 2012
    I live in eglin area and work at one of the units in the area. I love it here

10. epilepticninja

epilepticninja

Sep 3, 2012
    Six years at Hickam AFB. Three tours at Beale AFB for a total of almost 15 years. The rest were overseas which were places that weren't on anyone's "favorites" list.

11. F_G

F_G

Jan 11, 2010
    Crown King, AZ
    I still have some good friends that live in Layton. Funny thing was, I got stationed at Hill and less than a year later my Dad's company transferred him to Salt Lake City, they lived in West Valley City for 16 years before moving back to Prescott, AZ in '98. Seems you are usually away from family when in the military, but mine followed me! Heck, I may have worked with your Dad.

12. UXOMAN

UXOMAN

Oct 5, 2012
    Colorado
    Stateside: Luke AFB, AZ.
    Overseas: Soesterberg AB, NL

13. MK34_Techrep

MK34_Techrep

Apr 13, 2012
    Moyock, NC
    My best duty statin was when I served on USS Lawrence DDG-4 from 1979-1981, I will never forget the time we went to Bloodsworth Island to to shoot Naval Gun Fire Support (NGFS) to train Marine Spotters. Three days of constant Fire missions, shooting both 5/54" guns was AWESOME, I was an FTG1 and was Plotting Room Officer and we shot over 1200 rds, when we finished both magazines were empty..I had an outstanding group of FTG's in Gun Plot..

Attached Files:

14. Tank44

Tank44 Tank44

Dec 5, 2008
    Parker, Colorado
    Fort Gulick, Panama Canal Zone. I called it country club duty.

15. John43

John43

Sep 9, 2010
    Murrells Inlet SC
    VAP-61. Based out of Agana, Guam we flew RA-3B's to Townsville,Australia; Japan, the Phillippines, Danang, Vietnam, and whatever carrier was in the Tonkin Gulf at the time. We also went to Bangkok, Thailand my favorite. We flew the largest aircraft to ever go aboard a carrier, they nicknamed it the whale. It was the last to trap and the first to launch. It first flew in 1950 and flew until the early eighties for the military. About five still fly today for Raytheon as missile test beds in California. Check out the website Vap61Vap62 or Vappers. We lost about five aircraft during my two and a half years there. One was shot down on takeoff at Danang, Vietnam.

16. 1rocket69

1rocket69

Aug 12, 2012
    Blaine, WA
    Kaneohe Bay HI, Stateside

Subic Bay, PI....:supergrin:

17. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Apr 5, 2007
    Utah
    Fred Bates Dad died in 81. Worked in the old building 100. The building was renumbered when too many people knew about building 100. (secure/classified electronics repair)

18. Jgriggs

Jgriggs

Oct 20, 2012
    Washington State
    Nope. I asked for Minot. . . and got it.

19. sleepdirt

sleepdirt Silver Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Minden, NV
    My favorite was at RAF Croughton - 2168 Comm. Sq. Apr. '81 - Apr. '83. rafcroughton1.jpg