close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What type of dept do you work for?

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by jdfire43, Nov 20, 2007.

1. jdfire43

jdfire43
    Expand Collapse

Private, county, fire/ems, just ems? Have you worked at more than one, if so which do you like better?

I've been with a county fire/rescue dept. for almost 6 years now. I started out in the county next to me that was also a county dept., but it was just an ems service. I worked there for 3 years. I love the fire/rescue service.

Not sure if it belongs in the same thread, but is your dept union or non-union? We are union.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. lomfs24

lomfs24
    Expand Collapse

I currently belong to three departments.
    1). My real job is a private fire department in a private community. We have a 7 man shift, and we work 48 hrs on and 4 days off. It's a pretty sweet schedule. We do fire/EMS/hazmat. We have virtually no backup. The closest department will come help if the right people are on shift there and if they aren't busy.
    2). I am on a small rural volunteer fire department. We do fire and some basic level EMS. We have a rig we call a QRU (quick response unit) It will do light fire work, has a mounted hydraulic unit for the jaws and is outfitted with EMS supplies.
    3). I am on an ambulance service in the next town over. Also a volunteer service. Usually we will pick someone up, transport to the local hospital, they will get stabilized there and then transported to a larger regional hospital an hour+ away.

3. DepChief

DepChief
    Expand Collapse
    Get Tous's Rope

I work fulltime for a County EMS system that provides just EMS service. I volunteer for one of the 15 Fire Departments in our county that is a combination dept that provides ALS first response. All patient transport is done by the county ambulances.

4. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP
    Expand Collapse
    Inactive/Banned

I work full time for a hospital based system that bidded out and now runs most of the county I live in.

5. DaleGribble

DaleGribble
    Expand Collapse
    Sandwich!

I work full time for a county run EMS service. All we do is 911 EMS calls. We don't do fire and we don't do non-emergent granny runs.

I don't volunteer anywhere and I don't have a second job.

6. D25

D25
    Expand Collapse
    The Quick

I started out on a vollie Fire/ EMS department.

Then I worked full time at a combination Fire/ EMS department with 6 paid guys and around 30 volunteers. I still cover a shift there from time to time.

Now I work for a private company that does ground and air, and am on a SAR team.

I enjoy each and every one, but my current place is my favorite. It is a higher call volume, and very rural, so you are on your own, plus the flying is very rewarding- both financially and the fact that those patients are typically quite FUBARd. Granny doesn't get to go via air for a UTI. I do miss the fires, but SAR keeps the rescue juices flowing.

7. hotpig

hotpig
    Expand Collapse
    IAFF Local 4766
    CLM

Full time job. Combination Fire Protection District with 7 career 25 volunteers. The county has a total of 32 fire departments counting industrial fire departments. I'm assigned to the ATF Metro Arson Task Force when needed.

Three cities are all career and Olin/Winchester has a career Department.

There is one poc airport fire brigade, two oil refineries and one steel mill fire brigade.

Seven combination departments and 17 volunteer departments.

I work part time at a County funded, hospital based career ALS Ambulance Service. We also run ALS Intercept to the neighboring Counties volunteer BLS Ambulances.

I also work as a Auxiliary Police Officer in a neighboring County.

8. miked36258

miked36258
    Expand Collapse

#8 miked36258, Nov 22, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  9. eng23ine

eng23ine
    Expand Collapse

I work at a career city fire dept, we do fire, first responder(emt-b), hazmat, and usar. 24\48 shift.

I volunteer at a small rural FD which does fire and first responder.

I also help out at the local rescue squad when they need me.

10. pulaskipusher

pulaskipusher
    Expand Collapse
    Topodaworldma!

My dept is %100 volunteer We have a paid administrative Chief who also volunteers for fires. We are small and rural, two stations built with a third on the way, both stations are under some sort of construction, my station being almost completed (still need trim and finishing touchs), and station 1 being expanded by 2000-2500? Sq Ft. We have 13 active volunteers, three tenders, three engines, one support, one brush truck, and the chief's rig. No EMS on our Dept, the county runs that, I'll be driving for them in the Spring and should be an EMT for them next summer.
    There are 5 departments in my county including city, all and all I believe there are 2-3 paid officers on call, everyone else is on a points system.
    EMS runs 2 ambulances out of the city, one ambulance stationed out of town on the northside, and a light rescue truck.

11. paramediclane

paramediclane
    Expand Collapse

I am the Training Officer for a county based ems service. we have 30 employees and run 4 full time als units at all times. we are also a training facility for several of the colleges in our area. we work 24/48 shifts.

12. Fireman1291

Fireman1291
    Expand Collapse
    Firefighter/EMT

I volunteered for 3 years for a county Fire/EMS and then once my schooling was done I was hired by the county for carrer FF/EMT. The county is 745sq mi large with 25 stations and more on the way, we have over 400 field FF/EMT-medics. 3 shifts A,B,C working 24/48's. Union local 4420.

Forgot to add Im also a member of SERT. A high angle and confined space team for the county.

www.pascocountyfire.com

13. mtncat

mtncat
    Expand Collapse

All volunteer. We run fire/rescue/basic EMS. The majority of our runs are EMS and rescue(low/high angle rescue, MVA's etc) we also do "paid" fire work during the wildland season as needed with the USFS and State Forestry.
    Have 4 stations, run a total of 14 various units.

14. rk246

rk246
    Expand Collapse
    Firewalker

Full time paid, Fire department, we do run medicals but only from trucks and engines, we don't transport nor do we want to. I transported for awhile with a couple other places, it is nice to leave the call and go back to bed.

15. lthrbound

lthrbound
    Expand Collapse

Private ambulance, 911 and crappy granny runs. I fortunatly work for a city that has all volly/BLS fire. And have a modified kelly's at a 911 only station, lucky you could say. Part time EMS for hospital based system, only 911.

16. kc4zgk

kc4zgk
    Expand Collapse

I work for a very unique department. The city of Roswell, Georgia in Fulton county has a population of 95,000. The department has full time administrative staff which includes the Chief and 4 assistants as well as a fire marshals department with 6 inspectors / arson investigators. Our department runs all ALS apparatus ( all Supthen ) which includes ( 2 ) Sutphen105’ towers, ( 1 ) 75’ Quint, ( 7 ) engines. We also run a Hazmat unit, as well a Special Operations truck , ( 2 ) Air and Light units, 1 Tanker, 1 Brush Truck and ( 4 ) ALS rescues. Now here is the unique part we have 145 Fire Fighters from first responders to EMT-P and we are ALL part time paid. The department allows you to work up to ( 18 ) 12 hour shifts $ 13.85 per hour with time and a half on holidays. We schedule ourselves the month before and rotate between our 6 stations. The majority of our personnel are City of Atlanta and DeKalb County Fire Fighters. There are about 20 of us who work a 8-5 elsewhere, myself included. We are also paid on call by the hour for the duration of a call if we respond P.O.V. ( red light permit issued by the state ). This arrangement saves the taxpayers a great deal of money due to no benefits other than life and disability as well as workers comp. as well as providing us with a very nice second income. Stay safe!!!

Ed FF / EMT-I

17. kc4zgk

kc4zgk
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, I double posted and am not sure how to delete!!!

18. 1985 4Runner

1985 4Runner
    Expand Collapse
    Agitator

Full-time paid Fire Dept.
    Fire/Medics but we do not transport medicals.

Very aggressive Dept., lots of training, good equipment, great people & job. I love it.

19. Bravo6

Bravo6
    Expand Collapse
    Paramedic

I work for a private ambulance service. We do run 911 calls but I spend a lot of time GOMER toting as well. Trying to get into a medic program around here, and also trying to get assigned to one of our dedicated county 911 BLS units...

20. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt
    Expand Collapse
    EMT-B

Private ambulance service for pay.
    Volunteer at a fire ONLY department. Do EMS at our neighboring volunteer department.....

Scott