close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What to keep in the car for emergencies?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mr00jimbo, Oct 1, 2012.

1. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

Aug 29, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio USA
    Water, oil, antifreeze, cross wrench, fuses and a good assortment of tools.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  2. Stoneyrn

Stoneyrn

Sep 1, 2012
    2 gallons of water and duct tape for repair of a water hose and refill radiator if one were to spring a leak. It has come in handy for me or someone else that might need it.

3. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    Another vote for Fix-A-Flat and a small compressor. A flat tire really is the only thing you can't prevent with good routine service... serpentines and radiator hoses don't just "go", they're neglected. HH

4. treeline

treeline

Nov 10, 2006
    ex-CA, now UK
    A high visability vest or jacket and a reflective triangle are handy, especially if you stop on the edge of a busy road.

5. Mr Spock

Mr Spock Vulcan

Jan 6, 2008
    A second, smaller car. Personally, I alternate between a Scion iQ and a Smart car. If you do this, make sure you run each periodically to cycle the gas and keep the battery charged. Also, remember your periodic maintenance on your primary AND secondary cars - you don't want to need your smart car just to find something isn't working right.

In each of those secondary cars, I keep a spare battery, extra gas, and a scooter, and attached to each scooter, a pair of rollerblades.

6. sputnik767

sputnik767

Nov 1, 2007
    Chicago
    Ok, fuses and basic tools I get, but what sort of a bind can oil and antifreeze possibly get you out of? If your car has a catastrophic oil leak or antifreeze boilover/leak/etc and vomits fluids all over the interstate, no amount of spare fluids that you can carry will save you. I just don't understand the point. Does your car slowly use oil or antifreeze that you feel the need to carry extras? If so, would it not be more prudent to fix the underlying problem?

7. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 GTDS Platinum Member

You never know when you might need to oil up a chick and kill her dog or cat.:dunno:

8. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

9. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    Buy a Hyundai and worry about something else. HH

10. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Apr 15, 2011
    Dover NH
    Ive got a p64 and a medical roll filled with bandages and a cpr mask and stuff. Always have a water bottle with me, and right now a blanket as i put it in there when camping and have been too lazy to clean the car.

11. CourtCop

CourtCop Millennium Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Brodheadsville, PA
    They were just talking about this on one of the gun shows on The Outdoor Channel tonight. The one thing that caught my attention was a tow strap. It comes wrapped in neat package until you need it. It can be used to pull you out of a ditch or a snow drift if someone is nice enough to stop or vice versa.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    You have already got a gun. Just wait for the first car that stops and you have a ride home, or a new car.

(I have been known to actually carry a porto-power in addition to a complete set of tools. Now I have a credit card).

13. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    Good thinking on the vest, it makes it much easier for us to find you when you get blasted by a drunk at 80mph and throw 200 feet down the freeway. I can't ever get my head around people who stop on the side of a busy road and start doing things on their car. I go to a call every few months for this, 75% of the time we just cover them up because that's all that is left to do. DONT STOP ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AND START FARTING AROUND WITH YOUR CAR.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  14. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Dec 16, 1999
    Minnesota
    Myself. I have a "shoulder bag" with change of socks/underware/basic meds, flashlight...
    There are a change of cloths (pants/shirt/jacket) and a blanket. (normally used to help keep food cold.)
    Tools depend on you. I have a set for trips. SAE and metric. Some things i can do on road, others I can "limp" it to help.

15. BEANCOUNTER

BEANCOUNTER Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1999
    OnStar. :rofl:

So I can have someone to talk to while waiting 90 minutes for them to send a tow truck from the other side of the county while I sit in a bad neighborhood, at night, in a large town with tow companies within a 10 minute radius of my broken down car, a car disabled because, as I found later, dealer who sold me the OnStar equipped car had botched wiring MAP sensors.

16. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

Apr 6, 2002
    Central Iowa

Wow. I never considered that. But that would never happen to a guy like me……

A flat tire? Really? I guess I just never thought about it...:whistling:

17. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    Not really much of use to anyone but myself, I keep 3-4 extra pair of contacts in the car along with anti-bac gel, in both my car and my husbands.

18. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    NV
    In the trunk hidden under the spare tire flap (takes up "no" space stuffed around the spare tire):
    Water
    Fix-A-Flat
    Old gloves
    Screwdriver
    First aid kit
    CPR mask
    1/2 roll paper towels (more useful than TP)
    Large thick plastic bag (can be turned into poncho)
    Lighter
    Rope
    1/4 roll of old duct tape
    Power bars
    5 hr Energy
    Ear plugs

Inside the car:
    Folding knife
    Small flashlight
    Water
    Pen, notebook
    Box of ammo for ccw gun

During the winter I'll keep an old jacket and small blanket in the trunk in a small rubbermaid container.

I use my car for commuting, hunting, camping, and regular trips out away from town. Better to be prepared than not. This stuff takes up very little room especially hidden by the spare tire.

19. sputnik767

sputnik767

Nov 1, 2007
    Chicago
    Pretty much what I was thinking. I have a 9 year old Toyota, and the only time I carried any antifreeze was right after I flushed the cooling system. I carried the leftovers for a while just in case I didn't get all of the air out and the level dropped as the rest of the air worked it's way out when I drove. I did not end up needing it. And I do carry a tow strap, in case I need to pull someone else out of a bind. My grandfather has a 2005 Hyundai Elantra, and his thermostat got stuck closed and engine started to overheat (apparently a relatively common problem on that car). Much of the antifreeze leaked out, I guess from the pressure. No amount of spare antifreeze in the trunk would have saved him. He was close to home and didn't cause any damage. New thermostat fixed the problem. So I just don't see a point to it.

20. cheapshot

cheapshot

Oct 27, 2011
    I was with ya until you got to the rollerblades. That's just plain overkill!