close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What to do with my life.....

Discussion in 'Business Forum' started by bigcountry31987, Dec 22, 2011.

1. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

Nov 18, 2003
    Houston
    You are never too old to go back to school. I am living proof.

I went back as a second semester freshman at age 43. I thought I wanted to be a pharmacist, but found my strengths lay elsewhere. I have now been an attorney for 12 years, and have been in government service with a passable salary that is three times what I made in radio and tv and benefits that broadcasting never provided for nearly nine of those years.

I did it. You can do it. Visit the admissions office at the university nearest you and talk to a counselor. They can help you find the best path for you, and once you start, you can change paths as the goal becomes clearer.

2. Wow! your so successful in your life! that's really cool!

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER

Mar 13, 2010
    S. E. Mich
    Yeah, so does everyone else! I went to college for 3 semesters for auto technology rather than service. "Why it was there" interested me more than "put a new one there".

After that time and being sick of not being able to afford tuition, and seeing foreign students in the same classes for free, and unwilling to sign for a student loan, I decided to make my own way. Was it ever easy? No freakin way, but I wouldn't change too much. Now I answer to the PITA over the top of my bathroom sink every morning, developed a skill set that's in high demand that I can do even if disabled, and generally enjoy most of my waking hours. I've made killings on resale, killer commissions on rep sales, boosted my knowledge over time on more than one "brand". I'm ready to take an investment risk without going overboard at any time. I've watched my work cross the Barrett-Jackson stage and bring big dollars, even though it was done 20yrs ago.

My chosen craft is collector cars. That world is also full of scammers and short-term money seekers. They'll lie cheat and steal to make the sale. I don't. I'd rather sell 10 things for 10% profit than 1 thing for 100%. Action, activity. Always visible, never hide from anyone, work genuinely fit for a king (long story).

Anyone can do this at any level in nearly any craft. Carpenter, mason, plumber, automotive, electronics. Pick one and find a niche, exploit the opportunities, pay attention and listen. I've been independent for most all of my 41yrs in the game. I don't have a student loan, boss, BS, MS, or PhD. I have my right hand and my word which has closed 6 and 7 figure deals many times. YOU are the only one who can answer your question. YOU want what everyone wants, the most money for the least input. WE ALL DO! It's not real. It's reality TV.

A friend expressed a proverb to me once, "When opportunity knocks, most won't open the door because it looks like hard work." Another one, "The difference between a good job and perfect job is about 15min." Think about that last one, 15 more minutes applied to the job, any job. "He's your man..." "You want this guy to do..." "The best name in XXX is Abc Defg..."

If any of that makes sense and stirs you up some, you're already on your way. Then again, this may go to waste and you never see it...

4. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    I'll buck the trend here. I think that unless you have a very clear goal, and that goal requires a college degree, you should consider a trade school or apprenticeship instead. While it's not difficult to find examples of people who have made their degrees pay off, it is just as easy to find people who ended up buried under student loans and with the same jobs they would have had without college.

My wife's college degree has made us a lot of money. My degree paid for itself, but I found better money after a few years by not using it. Figure out which one you are, and then plot your course.

5. july

july

Feb 11, 2015
    ohio
    get on welfare and get a couple of welfare ladies to live with you this way you be home day and night!! and just think where you could live LA ,DETROIT, CLEVELAND, BALTIMORE, JUST TO NAME A FEW