close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

what to do about a POS LWD barrel

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by mpatch, Jan 22, 2012.

1. mpatch

mpatch

Mar 10, 2006
    vagabond
  2. Meathead9

Meathead9

Aug 23, 2009
    The PRK
    Have you contacted them? If not, I would delete your posts about this before they read them. Give them a chance to fix it before you go around trashing them. I had issues with my G20L slide, and one of my 10mm barrels. They went above and beyond to make it right.

3. mpatch

mpatch

Mar 10, 2006
    vagabond
    edited out some stuff until I contact them but....

it seems to be a recent problem with all of their 10mm barrels, I guess the best I could hope for is getting my money back

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  4. ponders

ponders

Jun 16, 2011
    Minot ND
    i might be missing something. what is wrong with the LWD?

5. mpatch

mpatch

Mar 10, 2006
    vagabond
    the reason most people by aftermarket barrels for the 10mm glocks is to not beat up the brass as bad and to be able to shoot warmer loads due to more chamber support in aftermarket barrels

6. ponders

ponders

Jun 16, 2011
    Minot ND

thanks for the info, i thought glocks barrels could handle warmer loads, as in +p and +p+ already?

7. mpatch

mpatch

Mar 10, 2006
    vagabond
    what aftermarket support should look like

[​IMG]

the black ones are factory barrels
    if I remember right the far left one is the way LWD barrels used to be

8. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

Jul 23, 2007
    Southeast, LoUiSiAna
    MPatch, may I ask what recoil spring weight are you testing with?

Some ammunition's impusle can exceed the spring weight and allow the slide to start moving before pressures drop enough (although it should not move till the bullet has left the barrel) this will cause eratic velocities/es/sd and even "SMILE" conditions if there is enough movement while pressres are elevated.

On a side note, I have seen barrels with the same amount of unsupported area as you have shown, handle very strong impulse ammo with no issues or "SMILES".

Have you tested with other spring weights?

9. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

Jul 23, 2007
    Southeast, LoUiSiAna
    Things to look at...

Another factor to consider is cartridge case length, check to verify the the casing is trimmed to 0.9820" or 25.20mm.

Also verify that the chamber has no build up at the machined head spacing area that can hold the cartridge outward!

10. mpatch

mpatch

Mar 10, 2006
    vagabond
    I tried both 17 and 22lb springs and various factory and reloaded ammo. I see the exact same brass condition in both barrels using pretty hot loads which is the very beginning of the smile (just able to feel it with a fingernail). I was mainly trying to get away from the Glock "bulge" because I feel it greatly shortens brass life. If I had wanted the same support as the factory barrel I would have ordered the 6" hunting barrel and been done with it.

11. gofastman

gofastman

Jan 29, 2010
    MN
    please keep us updated as to what they do to fix this!

I think im gonna order a Storm Lake

12. mpatch

mpatch

Mar 10, 2006
    vagabond
    just look at the pictures posted above, the barrel works fine and is reliable it's just that it offers little if any improvement in case support compared to other aftermarket (including older LWD) barrels, which is the only reason I bought it

13. oceanbob

oceanbob

Jun 26, 2010
    MPatch...it appears that your Lonewolf barrel has been cut back to factory specs. No advantage except maybe the chamber might be a little tighter. That under-cut defeats the purpose of buying an aftermarket barrel. :shocked:

Thanks for using my photo. That Lonewolf barrel on the left side runs 100% with my reloads. No smiles, no bulging. Same for the KKM and Stormlake which run in my other Glock 20 and my 2nd Glock 29.

I would call LONEWOLF and I am sure they will replace that barrel.

Send them my photo below; tell them you want the same support as the barrel on the left...

Good luck
    Bob

[​IMG]

14. oceanbob

oceanbob

Jun 26, 2010
    Another photo (not mine) to compare

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  15. mpatch

mpatch

Mar 10, 2006
    vagabond
    it's the best photo I have found showing the various aftermarket barrels.....didn't know it was yours (found it on google images) thanks much:cheers:

16. Kegs

Kegs Ol 8 fingers ;)

Oct 26, 2009
    Cold side of conus
    I don't know without measuring, but it looks like there is a tad too much play in that LWD barrel. LWD is an active member on this forum. I haven't bought any barrels from them, but I have bought parts and had good service. I expect they will take care of you (most people have had very good things to say about them and their products on here), but I agree with a poster before this about editing the post a bit. I would suggest removing the "POS" part, but that's up to you.

I got a feeling I know how you feel (pissed), but perfection takes time - give them a chance to correct it before going off - its hard to say who cut the barrel and what they were going for when they cut it - maybe a new guy?

17. Kegs

Kegs Ol 8 fingers ;)

Oct 26, 2009
    Cold side of conus
    To me, this is a superb photo that shows most everything that can be seen from this angle in terms of case support - don't forget that the part further in the chamber is important too - I'll bet a .44 casing would fit in that glock chamber (not depth, but diameter). Those things are super sloppy. :shocked:

18. gofastman

gofastman

Jan 29, 2010
    MN
    they can*, you stock Glock can handle hot loads all day long (the exception maybe being the older .40cal Glocks). The problem is that the 10mm cartridge brings about a condition known as "Magnumitus"
    When people start pushing 200gr bullets into the 1300+fps range, aka "nuclear loads", a bit more case support than the stock barrel provides is desirable.

*10mmAuto has no recognized +P or +P+ designation. AFAIK, 9mm Luger and .45ACP are the only rounds Glock uses that have a recognized +P designation.

19. Keoking

Keoking

Jan 4, 2005
    Rowlett, TX
    I have to throw in with mpatch and oceanbob. My stock G29 barrel would produce terrible smiles using DoubleTap ammo. I got a KKM barrel and ran rounds from the same boxes of DT. I saw so little expansion that fired brass could be dropped back into the KKM barrel, and easily spun. Now that is case support.

20. MightyTygart

MightyTygart

Oct 25, 2010
    ky
    How about .38 special?