close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What to check before shooting reloads

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by agentrod, Oct 5, 2004.

1. agentrod

agentrod

Jan 12, 2004
    Newbie question here, since there is a discussion on another thread on buldging cases and I'm quite worried since I shoot reloads bought from the range I visit (usually Northstar).

Lately I have been checking for:
    * Buntis (buldging) brass - I ask them to replace it if visually I dont like the budlge.
    * Crack on the brass - I usually see a couple with cracks at the lip, what extent is OK?
    * I check if all are 9mm cases - since I've read horror stories of wrong caliber cases destroying a gun.
    * I check if the primers are alligned - easy to do quickly, I've seen a photo of a misaligned primer so I have an idea what to look for.

Thanks in advance folks.
    Rod

2. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Sep 29, 2003
    Shooting
    i guess that pretty much covers it. if you see a crack, doesn't matter how bad it is, have them replace it. for the price of their ammo, you have every right to demand a replacement.

best way to inspect ammo is to do a bullet gauge on you're barrel, this would mean field stripping your pistol

3. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    turn the ammo box upside down and tap it on top of a table. any brass with loose primer pockets will dislodge the primers. visually inspect for misaligned primers.

get a quality ammo gauge (dillon, egw) for your reloads. pang check ng mga tabingi pagka load and mga buntis na bala.

always indicate your load data on your ammo box. brand and type of powder, load, head, seating depth. wag mo lang sabihin minor or major load. ex: 4.1gr AP-70, 124gr fmj 9mm, oal=1.160 in.

discard all brass/ammo with cracks

4. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    in a pinch, pwede na sa barrel mag check, pero iba pa rin ang bullet gauge.

bilhin mo yung dillon brand.

5. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Oct 1, 2002
    California
    Kung sisipagin ka pa, try to check for a loose crimp. Push the cartridge against a flat solid surface using your thumb behind it, not too strong just enough to push you away if you're seated on a roller chair. If the length of the cartridge did not change then that's ok.

6. agentrod

agentrod

Jan 12, 2004
    Sirs,

I will be doing these things after I buy the reloads and before loading them during the session, I think doing a bullet gauge check would take to long - what can be / are there catastrophic effects of not doing the bullet gauge check (besides jamming)?

7. julianz

julianz toxic master

Sep 24, 2003
    sand castle

KABOOM

8. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Sep 29, 2003
    Shooting
    ^4

9. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    nakakita ka na ba ng nasabugan sa kamay while trying to clear a stuck buntis cartridge in the barrel? pag hampas ng bala sa extractor, kaboom!

10. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

Apr 27, 2004
    Cebu
    hi rod, thats me with them bulging cases. i always do the above checks:) and now will also add the crimp check and bullet guage check. also use quality brass(ie rpa) lesson learned the hard way:) had one blew off my mag, i'm just lucky i got away with a burnt finger:) and btw, after shooting the first 10 rounds of you reloads, check the brass for signs(ie bulging, cracking, blown primer). the case failure i experienced just made me a bit careful.

11. agentrod

agentrod

Jan 12, 2004
    OK. So I do need to spend time to inspect them reloads first...

Thanks for the tips (and words of caution).

Rod

12. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

Apr 27, 2004
    Cebu
    hehe before, i would just check the brass, now, i would inspect before and after reloading:)

13. DarkAngel66

DarkAngel66

Oct 2, 2004
    So who do the BOG guys trust with their reloads?

I personally use TRUE WEIGHT reloads exclusively. Are they OK? So Far I have not had any problems with them. Any other shop recommendations?
    Thanks.

14. Tried PBD reloads once, particularly the plated ones. Lead too soft and inaccurate thru my USP.

Discovered True Weight with their hard cast lead, teflon and TMJ bullets, and never looked back. 3 years na ko doon. sila pa ang nagsasabing sira na yung shells. I often encounter 2 or 3 per visit na rejected na nila.

Great price na, pwede pang hintayin. ^c

Malayo nga lang sa min, kailangan dayuhin ko pa ;g

15. ogiebb

ogiebb

Oct 21, 2003
    MESA, ARIZONA
    i load my own for reliability and just because maarte ako at ayoko sumabog ang baril ko...when i was in the PI one company over in Quezon City ;Q double charged my buddies ammo for a para p16 and KABOOM..so know your reloading source see if they practice safety in reloading..get yourself a case gauge(dillon,EGW) and a Caliper.. inspect the sides of the cases,place the ammo in the case gauge sweep your thumb across and see if its a "high primer" or "low" ...if you have a high primer this could hit the breechface of your gun and blow up kung "low" hinde sya mag detonate.. case gauges and calipers are much more cheaper than your gun,eyes and even your life... hope this helps;)

16. DA_NINJA

DA_NINJA

Jan 24, 2003
    C®OK COUNTY, IL
    How about the reloads of armscor. Can anyone vouch or give their opinion/s or experience/s from their reloads. If possible, can someone please give a rough estimate on how many time/s can one use their brass (9mm or .45), if a newbie could not get hold of any measuring equipment for their brass. Thanks in advance.

17. julianz

julianz toxic master

Sep 24, 2003
    sand castle
    my clubmates also go to TruWeight for reloads,i got my 100+ in bulacan 20% have bulges and at least 5 % have loose heads ..so i spent almost an hour to inspect each loads and make sure every single load fits my barrel ..hassle talaga so ill most likely go to Tru Weight and pasyalan si Grace Tan:drool:

18. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    sira na yata yung case resizer ng reloading machine ng PB kasi ang daming buntis kahit bago or once fired brass.

true weight is ok. mas mura pa.

19. Valor1

Valor1 Pro Paingiver

Jul 6, 2003
    Urban areas
    One more vote for True Weight. Great prices on reloads. Iba na rin kasi kung ang may-ari ay active pa sa shooting.

20. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    reloads lang yata ang reasonable ang presyo sa true weight! Si Taurus sa TW din nagpapaload.