close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What to carry for Black bear?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Slug71, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Slug71

Slug71

Mar 7, 2010
    Oregon - U.S.A
    Well first off im not sure if this is the right place for this thread and apologise if it isnt.
    I will be picking up my G27(.40S&W) this week which will be my CCW. I live in a area where there is lots of Black bear and though its unlikely that i will need it on one, at least i hope, just wondering what rounds i should carry. JHP vs FMJ and lighter vs heavier grain?
    Now i know i'd be better off if i had a .44mag or 10mm or...., but i dont and chances are i wouldnt be carrying one of those when i ran into one anyway.

Thanks in advance guys.

2. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Bear spray! If you have to carry your 40, then FMJ or DT LFP are realyl your only option. Bear spray will be a beeter deterent.

3. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002
    A minimum of 44mag. I do not trust at all, a 40 S&W or 10mm for bear period. I have done this for almost 40 + years and although If you stuff your 10mm with 200gr + hardcast bullets, that is ok, but if you are really concerned about a bear attack, (and you should not be that concerned), then take a 44mag or a rifle. Not a 40 S&W G27 !

I pack on the ranch EDC, or in the high country, a 45LC 300gr Hard cast bullet. This covers my six from cougars to bear to illegal border crossers. haha. This country demands tremendous penetration. Do not short change yourself with a service calier for something that wants to eat you or kill you.

I do admit, I often throw a 10mm G20 in the saddle bags with extra mags, all loaded with my own 200gr Hard Cast bullets. in case I need some extra fire power, and 45-70 lever gun or 7mm rem mag. The AR and or the SKS (made to auto) handle the rest here on the ranch 'the latter two not for bear'. :supergrin:

But back to you and bears. If you just "have to pack a 10mm" at leat stoke it (if you do not handload) with Buffalo bore ammo (hard cast) or better yet get a Ruger 4 5/8" 44mag and learn to to pack it.... Not a G27 40 cal. Sorry.

Last: do not be that concrned about bear attacks. They can happen but usually have a reason, and if you are woods savvy you probably will never have an encounter. I know this may not be what you wanted to hear, but you did ask. ;) Do NOT rely upon a 40 S&W for your concerns......

Good luck

CM

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  4. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Really Gary, I was going to go their, but I thought I would be seen as being abrasive again by stating the obvious, plus he did say it was all he had. Bear spray backed by a 40 w/ hardcast is better than bear spray alone. Not MY choice, like you, I know bear guns start @ the 41mag & just get bigger, but the chamnce the bear spray doesn't work, climb a tree & shoot for the head.:supergrin:

5. FatBoy

FatBoy Millennium Member

Sep 2, 1999
    ME
    This topic comes up all the time. I never would have thought so many people would be worrying about black bears and thinking a 9mm, .40, or .45acp would be an option.

.44mag is my minimum recommended/comfort round, but a full load .357mag or 10mm would do in a pinch I guess.

So either .44mag>bear spray> or a zucchini if ones handy :~)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100923/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_bear_attack_zucchini_1

FB

6. my family members up in maine all carry 12ga shotguns when they go out in the woods for the bears or moose. they didnt always carry until they buried a draft horse and found it dug up and dragged away less than a week later.

7. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

Feb 8, 2005
    Homer Alaska
    If you do not have any other handgun to carry in the field test out the Double Tap 200 grain hardcast for function. If it runs good in your Glock 27 carry it. If not the Speer Lawman 180 grain TMJ is a good hot load that will offer deep penetration. The Lawman loads have always run good in my Glocks. If you do a lot of woods walking save up for a 4 inch 44 Magnum. The Taurus Model 44 is a lower cost option and the one I have is a good shooter. The S&W 629 4 inch is a classic woods gun and only weighs 41.5 ounces. The Mountain gun comes in at 39 ounces if you can find one. If you are talking black bear any name brand 240 grain JSP would work.

8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

LOL... Well my dear friend, I have been (it seems) 'abrasive' for telling the truth around here lately any way, so I thought I'd tell it again. :supergrin: haha. If all the OP has is a 40, then yes stoke it with heavy flat point FMJ or hard cast, and carry a rifle if he is worried about bears. But, if he can afford a 44mag at least, then by all means get one if he has bruin concerns.

Now, as I exit stage left from here (GT) for what could be a very long season, I wish you and many other amigos well, and please watch your six!

Those who have my email feel free to write anytime. Those who want it, PM me and I'll get it to ya. I've tried this a time or two before, but this time I got to tend to what is set before me to do, and adios off here (GT) at least for a very long season. Things just ain't the same here any more 'to me anyway,' so I need to move on and tend to my own stuff.

God bless ya fred, and all the other old boys on here that I've enjoyed being around the camp fire with, 'y'all are welcome' out here any time.... ;)

Stay safe!
    Good shooting !

CanyonMan

9. Slug71

Slug71

Mar 7, 2010
    Oregon - U.S.A
    I know, i should have a .44mag. Thing is i'd be carrying that everyday then. Not really a good ccw choice. They get seeing crossing the roads a lot, walking down the side of roads, at condos getting into dumpsters. Ive seen a couple cross the road running into the yard of a house and there was a house where it came from. I seen them run across the road from where condos are into a trailer park with people outside. At the dumpsters at work. Theres a lot of wooded areas around here and national forest but they get seen plenty where there is development. There are condos up on a hill behind where i stay now and i seen them on the hill and by our cars. Condos are like 250/300ft away. They walk right behind our house. Theyre just very common around here and generally very affraid of people. These arent Grizzly bears. Never heard of an attack around here, generally black bear attacks are very rare anyway as they generally run in the opposite direction when they see people.
    I just want to have something rather than nothing if i ever came across a mamma with cubs or feeding. But like i said, you see them pretty often around here and it can be just about anywhere, so chances are that if it happened, id only have my ccw on me.

Thanks for the input though. So FMJ is a better choice than JHP.
    What about grain? Heavier or lighter?

Whats DT LFP? I know its Doubletap but didnt see any LFP. Is that the 200gr FMJs?

10. Slug71

Slug71

Mar 7, 2010
    Oregon - U.S.A
    Ok, so its heavy and FMJ, 180gr or 200gr?

11. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Jan 27, 2006
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Another week, another "What Caliber for Bear, Thread Number 178."

[​IMG]

12. Slug71

Slug71

Mar 7, 2010
    Oregon - U.S.A
    No.., I know what caliber and what pistol. Just not what round.

:tongueout:

13. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002
    I sent ya a PM to go along with what i said to ya in the last post of mine above...

now, adios amigos !
    Stay safe.

CM
    :patriot:

14. striker6126

striker6126

Jul 3, 2008
    I never knew bears were so hard to kill. We do not have many (if any at all ) in my part of Alabama , but I have killed 6 black bears hunting in other states. All of them were taken with a browning backdraft II set for 60lb draw using 100 grain muzzy broadheads. None of the 6 went over 40 yards after the shot.

15. Erich1B

Erich1B

May 18, 2008
    Tampa
    If you are only going to have the .40, then IMHO I'd go heavier over lighter bullet.

Here is another boutique ammo maker (40 S&W Auto
    200gr Hornady JFP Jacketed Flat Point Bullets): http://www.swampfoxgunworks.com/swampfox/product.php?productid=17539&cat=291&page=1

1100fps 530 ft/lbs energy@ Muzzle. From a Stock Glock 22.

I've used his 10mm ammo, and no problems.

16. MURRAY

MURRAY Millennium Member

I use a model 28 with 200 grain hardcast DT loads

17. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Geeze! Hunting bears that don't even know you are there & stopping a charge are completely diff things.:upeyes: You could use a 22lr to the head, doesn't make it a good bear stopper. I'ld like to see anyone stop a charging 300# bear w/ a bow. Even w/ a heavy handgun, it's gonna be a roll of the dice. People have been killed by smallish black bears, crap happens. Bear spray is better than nothing & a 40 is better than your finger nails or a sharp knife.:dunno: You aren't "defending" yourself until the bear is on top of you or at least at your feet. Good luck w/ a bow at that distance.

18. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Way to over react batman.

19. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Not at all Robin, but what significance does bow hunting have to the OP's question??????:yawn: Much like over used; "9mm has killed more, blah, blah blah, killing & stopping an attack are just not the same.:dunno: Bow hunting & caliber for protection have nothing to do with each other. A little focus maybe?

20. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Maybe let a moderator deal with it or ignore it.:dunno: Sometimes if you let a comment be it doesn't snowball and get the thread further off topic. Some come to sites like this to learn, not get scolded by daddy.