close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What the heck is SIG building their guns from?

Discussion in 'The Sig Sauer Club' started by PlayboyPenguin, Jan 5, 2011.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

Jul 19, 2008
    Are they sure the slides are steel and not lead?

I absolutely love my SIG pistols, but every time I compare a SIG to a similar size competitor the SIG is almost always substantially heavier.

Is there a design reason for this? Do they use a different steel? What? :)

2. I don't know but I prefer my gun to have some weight to them

3. Defender77

Defender77

Sep 13, 2009
    I wish my SIG was lighter too, but it is a very well balanced gun in my noob opinion.

The weight I think really helps with controlling recoil and with follow-up, rapidfire shots.

I can rapid-fire easily vs other guns.

4. 8th SPS USAF

8th SPS USAF

Apr 28, 2007
    Indiana
    Try an older Sig without the SS slide or a Carry instead of full size slide.

8th

5. zorba

zorba

Jan 10, 2001
    Upstate NY, USA
    I believe my Sig P239 frame is made out of a single block of aircraft grade aluminum. I find the weight helps with recoil and the DA/SA trigger gives me the ability for quicker follow up shots. Sig Sauer makes high quality weapons.

6. Defender77

Defender77

Sep 13, 2009
    If I compare my SIG with my other handgun, Smith & Wesson 5906 (both are 9mm)

...by holding the SIG in my hand and trying to rotate my hand and the gun, it is very hard to do because most of the weight is in the slide/barrel area.

...as a result, the sights stay on target a lot easier

If I hold my Smith in my hand and try to rotate my hand and the gun, it is very easy to do because most of the weight is not in the barrel/slide, it's in the grip and where the magazine is.

7. Snak3

Snak3

Nov 23, 2008
    Ohio
    The slides seems to be very thick, which would naturally cause more weight. As some other have stated, I like my gun to feel solid and have some weight to them. Not Ruger P89 heavy, but heavier feeling than more polymer pistols.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011