close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

What the _ is he thinking!?!

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by berlin_brigade, Apr 7, 2006.

1. berlin_brigade

berlin_brigade Dismember

Jan 17, 2006
    USA
    Dear BoG Friends,

My husband thinks that I should get a 9mm Kimber 1911, just because I didn't like shooting his .45 ACP last time we were at the range. He's so old school! :upeyes:

We keep arguing about this. All he keeps saying is"Steel is real, steel is real." And I say "Lead is dead, it doesn't matter where it comes from!":supergrin:

I still think I'm gonna get a G19. What do you think?

2. Kiddo

Kiddo

Jun 14, 2003
    IMO, get whichever you shoot better and feel comfortable with. No point in getting a gun which doesn't fit you. If possible, shoot both side by side then decide. :)

3. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Jan 22, 2004
    almost home
  4. paltiq

paltiq

Oct 29, 2005
    if you will try to shoot a 1911 format in 9mm caliber in "group theraphy" (bullseye shooting) 1911 will win because of the superb trigger pull (2 lbs? )

versus the 3.5 lbs trigger pull & short barrel of the glock19:supergrin: maybe im Old school too:cool:

5. MiGalley

MiGalley M&Member

Mar 6, 2006
    +1 horge

A 9mm 1911? That's one of those things that's just wrong. :kidding:

Tell him that if he insists on a JMB design, then you want a respectable pistol--the way John Moses intended it--a Browning P35 Hi-Power, and make him feel the pain by demanding that he get you one made in Belgium (even though the new ones assembled in Portugal are great if not, arguably, better guns).

I agree with Kiddo, too. While your husband and those who worship with him at the altar of John M. Browning may swear by their 1911s, there are plenty of others who swear at their 1911s.

That said, a well-tuned 1911 in 9mm is one soft shooting, sweet pistol. Very little recoil and much easier to shoot when compared to the same gun in .45 ACP or .38 Super.

MiG

6. He dreams of having a 9mm 1911 and had been looking for an excuse to buy one. Now he's got a good one. :devilishgrin:

7. berlin_brigade

berlin_brigade Dismember

Jan 17, 2006
    USA
    Thanks to all for your perspectives. You got me thinking that maybe I'm being too close-minded. So today I went to the local gun shop to handle a few government models just for kicks (so to speak). The ones I tried were mainly 1911s by Colt, Kimber, and Springfield, mostly .45. I also looked at 9mms in Browning and H&K. And of course,just to compare, I handled the G19. With all of them, I did some dry firing but mostly check for feel, balance, and grip.

First, I realized that maybe I am "old school" after all. I found that I liked the feel of steel, and pulling back a hammer reminds me of when I was a kid with those toy cap guns.:rollsmiley:

Second, I have become enamored of the H&K 9mm. It's like what you get if a 1911/government model and a Glock had a baby. Sweet marriage of plastic and steel. Nice fat body and grip, smooth movement and easy handling. Plus, I really liked the external safety - something that is lacking in a Glock (which bothers me). The one I tried was also the most discreet of the bunch. I am only 5'3 and small framed (but normal sized hands), and the full-sizes are going to be pretty obvious on the hip.

Finally - this is heresy - I don't know about the G19 anymore. After holding all the others, I went back to try it and it felt kind of weird. Too light. Maybe "plastic is too drastic?":worried:

Anyway, I'd like to go to the range to test a few of these, side by side. Probably the HK, Kimber and Browning - both 9mm and .45. Whatever I get, I believe it has to work for me both for fun shoots and self-protection.

Do you have any words of wisdom or experience with any of these lines? For example, I heard that the HK 9mm sometimes jam. But don't all guns have the potential to do that?:eyebrow:

8. nrmcolt

nrmcolt What?

Sep 26, 2004
    Raccoon City

Sir, di ba Browning Hi-Power is P-35? Or am I missing something here? :supergrin:

:beer:

9. Chie

Chie

Jul 1, 2005
    +1 :supergrin:

10. IMO: When carring a sidearm all day the Glocks are so much sweeter, if shooting one all day the 1911 or HKs are nicer.

11. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

Nov 14, 2001
    Delta Quadrant
    Just avoid subsonic 9mm ammo and I think the HK would be fine. For the HK lineup, check the double action pull first if it suits you. Most complaints against the HK USP series is the DA pull. They came up with the LEM unit which is supposed to be an improved DA system, but I don't have first hand experience with this.

12. Kiddo

Kiddo

Jun 14, 2003
    Or you could just go cocked and locked with the HK. If your hands are small, try the compact ones or maybe the P2000 aside from the USP. With the P2000, you can customize its grip since the backstrap is replacable and comes with 3 or 4 (not sure) different sizings. :)

13. wunder9

wunder9

Mar 9, 2003
    Philippines
    Dont let yourself get sidetracked, get the G-19.

14. jasonub

jasonub

Sep 28, 2003
    Philippines
    had an hk usp in 9mm and shot around 10,000 rounds before i sold it. No jams or any problems. Got an HK USP in 45 acp and shot double of what i did on the 9mm version and again boringly accurate and no jams.

Then i got to shoot a tuned 1911. I shot a lot of pistols, g19 included. sigs hks berrettas etc. I still love the 1911 more than any of those pistols.

IF i were going to get another pistol for carry, ill go back to the hk and shoot my 1911 in competitions.

though i may get a single stack in 10mm for carry. No glock or hk or sig that you get out of the box will out shoot a tuned 1911. IMHO. :)

15. wingz

wingz speed not power

Mar 3, 2006
    the fortress

16. Kiddo

Kiddo

Jun 14, 2003
    Wingz is right. If you are going to carry it, then you should lean more to polymer guns like Glocks (if you like a constant safe action trigger), HK USPc (if you like cocked and locked) or P2000 (if you like DA/SA/LEM and changing backstraps). If its just for the home, then a steel 1911 will do fine. :)

17. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

Apr 27, 2004
    Cebu
    hey what about a wheelgun? a snub is a good carry piece, you can shoot it while its still inside your coat pocket:)

18. infinitecolt

infinitecolt

Nov 6, 2004
    US of A
    Funny. I prefer dishing it out of my pocket and shooting some bad guy with it. I don't want to mess my clothes.

19. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

Apr 27, 2004
    Cebu
    hehe thats just for extreme close quarters emergency:supergrin: