close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What should it cost?

Discussion in 'The Martial Arts Forum' started by Kastivich01, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Kastivich01

Kastivich01
    Expand Collapse

I was looking into taking some form of self-defense. I emailed a Krav Maga school. Their membership is over $100 a month. Does that sound out of line to anyone else. I have no clue about this but I was expecting something more along the lines of $50 / month.

Does anyone know a place in Philadelphia that offers good self-defense / martial arts classes?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. brock sampson

brock sampson
    Expand Collapse

Sounds high. What do you get for your Franklin? Is it that much every month or just the first? I imagine you can find something much more reasonable but I can't reccomend anything in the area.

3. Kastivich01

Kastivich01
    Expand Collapse

This is what their email to me said.

4. Victory

Victory
    Expand Collapse

Nope, $115 a month sounds about right. Krav maga charges a ton of money to the schools for licencing. That cost is passed on to you. There's not much that is cheaper either.

On the upside, krav maga PA is Quality. I know the owner and several instructors. And if Ernie offers any seminars with Nick Hughes take them.

5. Tombstone G30

Tombstone G30
    Expand Collapse

In my area, many schools charge $100 to $200 and up per month, with up to a 2 year contract. If you drop out, you still pay the bill or they send you to collections.

At my school, I don't do contracts. My fees are a fraction of the 'going rate'. I simply make it up in volumne.

6. BlackBelt

BlackBelt
    Expand Collapse

My school is $119 a month for unlimited access. This includes Shotokan karate, weapons, boxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, fitness, and occasional oddball classes thrown in (ie.- dog defenses, house clearing, vehicle defense, etc.)
    Went from $60 a month to $119 and went from 1/4 census to full enrollment. I didn't want to do it, but everyone at the biz seminars said that it would work as it would increase 'perceived' value in the minds of the students. It did, and the classes are at capacity now. Go figure...

7. Kastivich01

Kastivich01
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the replies.

8. kwikrnu

kwikrnu
    Expand Collapse

My family of five(three girls aged 3-6) pays $230 per month. I didn't think it was that bad other schools in the area cost more. We can go 6 days per week for an hour each time and it helps because it is only 15 minutes from my home. They do have a minimum 15 month contract and do charge $50 for each belt advancement.
    I really wasn't too worried about learning to kill people just something fun for the family to do together and for the kids to develop some better coordination.

9. 556sniper

556sniper
    Expand Collapse

I pay $75 a month at my school in Newtown,bucks county. We do no-gi mixed martial arts and practical self-defense. If you are looking for serious training and not some commercialized BS karate style school let me know.We are all about the training and take our classes seriously! We train live one on one grappling EVERY class and spar frequently, and greatly encourge newcomers to come free to check it out and participate.
    Dan

10. Nakkie

Nakkie
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

$80/month gets you the "unlimited" plan at our Karate dojo. You can attend as many classes as you want, every day. There are basically 2-3 adult-level classes each day and into the evening. There are 3 other kids or newbie classes each day as well. If you only want to go twice a week you can get as low as $45/month. Additional family members come in at discounts and that really helps make it a family thing.

I think our Sensei should charge $20 -$30/month more, but I've seen other Sensei(s) for whom these fees would be about right.

Year-long contracts are common, and are in your best interest.

Equipment can run $40 and up and there is a fee of $40 - $80 each time you take a test for promotion.

MOST IMPORTANT, though....

The studio or dojo should offer an introductory plan so you can "try it out" for 3-6 weeks without having to sign up for an entire year. If you don't like the first Sensei or experience, I encourage you to try at least two more places. As with everything, there is the good, the bad and the ugly.