close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What should I buy? XDM or G19 or G17 gen4

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by evanthemack, Oct 6, 2010.

Tags:
  1. evanthemack

evanthemack

Aug 5, 2010
    I shoot fairly often and I am getting into IDPA and IPSC shooting. Does anyone have experience with these pistols and can you tell me how you like them? I think the XDM is more ergonomic but the G19 feels more shootable (I know, it's hard to explain) faster off the blocks, easier to align, etc.

2. zulu45

zulu45

Apr 1, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    Personally, I have had experience with all three of the guns you have mentioned, and these are my findings.

Glocks: Lowest felt recoil to me when concerning XD vs Glock, and superior trigger to the XDM. It's firing system also allows you to compete in IDPA SSP. As such, using either Glock will give you access to one more division in IDPA. Though the G19 does not have them, the Glock 17 4g has replaceable back-straps, just like on the XDM, and a reversible magazine release. The G19 is nice, but the shorter sight radius gives the Glock 17 a slight advantage.

XDM: I really can't think of anything where the XDM excels past Glock with the exception of 2 more rounds in the standard magazine of the full-size service pistol.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010

3. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

Aug 22, 2009
    Same old story. All the guns you listed are among the very best personal defense weapons made. Just try to shoot each one if you can and see what fits your hand better. most people are drawn to the XD's grip angle and size. Others like the Glocks simplicity. The Gen 4's may take back dome of the business the XD's and M&P's took from them.

4. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    While the XDm is a cool gun, I am just not attracted to it like alot of folks are. I just cant get past the high bore axis and the overabundance of slide serrations front and back and the overly aggressive grip texturing.

The 19+1 capacity is AWESOME I have to admit but not enough to overlook the other things.

Oh yeah and I still cant get past that its not really a true Springfield Armory product since its made in Croatia. Its not a big deal since those Croatians can make a seriously good polymer gun obviously. I really wish SA made the XDm 100% here in America by American workers. Made in America could mean something again if we would just make a solid product and not farm it out to foreigners and slap our name on it like Springfield did. This recession could use the help.

I vote G19gen4 since an M&P wasnt on your list.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  5. Reb 56

Reb 56

Mar 12, 2007
    South Texas
    I think I'd go with the Xdm as I like the grip angle better than the Glocks also like the XDs trigger better. Not gonna trade in my Glock for one, but I may buy one just to have a little variety in my small collection.

6. Reb 56

Reb 56

Mar 12, 2007
    South Texas
    By the way the G19 is made in Austria.

7. I had an XD in 9mm, there was nothing wrong with it, no hiccups and very accurate. It didn't feel quite right in my hand, especially when compared to the Steyr M40-A1 which is an excellent carry platform.

I sold it and bought a G17 which I really enjoy shooting.

Your preference may be different.

Bob :cowboy:

8. tx787

tx787

Feb 11, 2010
    It's not that SA makes it in Croatia. They are made by a completely different company, HS Arms. Springfield bought the rights to import and market them.

9. fasted

fasted RECON

Jul 27, 2010
    North Texas
    OK OK OK. I shot the XD numerous times. I have PERSONALLY NO MISFEEDS OR FAILURES OF ANY KIND. But at EVERY SINGLE IDPA SHOOT I ATTEND ONE MALFUNCTIONS. Like clockwork. Also, if you are interested in IDPA shooting, using an XD automatically puts you in ESP class....so you'll be shooting against STI 2011's in 9mm...not fun.

People complain about the Glock grip angle...get over it. Throw an extended mag release on and call it a day. Of course there are exceptions to every statement, and I don't want to get flamed, but I cannot remember the last time I saw a Glock malfunction. There's a reason why it's called perfection.

That being said, I have never had a malfuction myself shooting an XD. But you start to run them hard, modding them...you will get trouble. I also have a friend who ranked at Nationals in IDPA with a modded XD....sooooooo you be the judge. Defensive carry, I'm partial to Glock, but you make your own choice. IDPA, Glock hands down.

10. I would look at a g34/g35 . I own a g35 and like the stock 4.5 trigger and longer sight radius for accuracy and in my opinion is the smoothest shooting glock made.

11. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    Lol. I didnt finish my sentence before I sent it. (its complete now if you look back up)

12. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009

I think thats what I said? XD's arent really a Springfield Armory made product. Just bought/imported from Croatia and resold/marketed here in America. Kinda like the old Honda passport wasnt really a Honda at all. It was an Isuzu rebadged as a Honda product.

13. zulu45

zulu45

Apr 1, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    This. I didn't care for the grip angle when I first started using Glocks, but with a little practice, it was so easy to get used to. Now, after having shot it for so long, I prefer it to the standard grip angles.

It's ironic that, if you naturally point your finger at something, your finger to hand angle is the Glock angle. We've gotten so used to the other angles, we never stopped to ask, are these other angles natural? Of course, the size of the grip is another story...

That being said, YMMV, and everybody has their own preferences. I still really like the 1911 angle, too, but I have so much more control over the pistol with a high-grip Glock angle.

14. deeHKman

deeHKman "It Is Written"

Aug 13, 2010
    SC
    The Glock 19 is not just liked in the USA it is found all over the world for good reasons..I have 2 they were the first Glocks i ever held i bought 2 i like them so much..You hear issues with the G19 gen4 but all the dealers in my area have had no issues other than keeping them in stock...i stopped at fairly new Glock dealer today he has not had issues either....so it seems the problem is not wide spread by no means...

15. txgunguy

txgunguy

Dec 14, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    I have owned all 3. Well not an XDm but an XD.

XD- great shooting gun. reliable, accurate, well built.

19- same as above but fit my hand better. my gen4 19 is absolutely awesome.

17- I would recommend this one for IDPA. Higher capacity, and the recoil is nearly nothing.

The XD grip just feels strange to me. The higher bore axis just didn't point right for me. Also, if you are in a competition and need to replace a part that breaks, it is not possible with the XD. All their parts are proprietary and are not sold to the public. You can have your Glock running again in seconds if need be.

16. gocubs6

gocubs6

Aug 16, 2010
    Depending on your hand size, the XDM is far superior in feel when I compare it to my Glock 19 RTF2. I can barely get the pad of my finger on my 19 and can get the joint of my finger on the trigger on the XDM. The XDM is a bigger, more clunky feeling gun, but I shoot it better. Both are good.

17. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I prefer the XDm.

18. cyberiad

cyberiad

Feb 18, 2005
    Near RTP NC
    Bore axis is a non-issue unless technique is poor or one lacks experience. And many XD/XDM parts are available from on-line vendors. Otherwise, get whichever one you shoot the best.